The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » The Lair of the Phantom » Don Juan Triumphant » Don Juan's Libretto
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Zelda/Yvette/Padme | Gender: female | Age: 28 | Posts: 2,274 | Roses: 10
Old 09-04-2005 at 08:11 AM
Christine Daaé
Wandering Child
House Patron
Angel of Music

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Removing the mask  Post [1] »

It's been my observation that Erik, when wearing his mask, is always very calm and in control. Never angry, always cool and collected, almost aloof.

However, when his mask is removed, he becomes quick to anger, quite bipolar, sorrowful, pleading, and/or insane.

So is this like what we all do? We all have masks we wear. We can seem one way outwardly, yet when our masks are removed, people see us for what we truly are.

Any thoughts?

~ Zelda

Christine Daaé's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Super Samness | Gender: Wonder Woman | Age: 27 | Posts: 3,913 | Roses: 50
Old 09-04-2005 at 03:39 PM
Erik
Opera Manager
House Patron
Killer Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2] »

Well said, Zelda.
I think Erik had two personalities. With his mask on, he was everthing Christine loved. He was cool, loving, and in control. With his mask off he was desperate and angry, then distant. I think we all feel tose things. I think that we are really just a lot of things bundled up together, and when we feel exposed or frightened we show our bad qualities.

<b><i>Erik</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Ellie | Gender: Female | Posts: 323 | Roses: 10
Old 10-22-2005 at 10:10 PM
LittleLotte**
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3] »

I think that's a good pont, Zelda. I think maybe he felt exposed without his mask?

KT is my Hero
LittleLotte**'s Profile Send Private Message LittleLotte**'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Maria | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 430 | Roses: 10
Old 10-22-2005 at 10:27 PM
phantomphreak
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4] »

Wow! That is a good analysis of the 'mask.' Like you said he is somewhat 'bipolar.' I agree with about saying that we all wear masks. Most people act differently in front of people when they want to be accepted. But when it is behind the scenes or with someone you know, you can let it all lose. Sometimes the person can't hold it in and just explodes in front of everyone. But then there are also triggers. Like Erik's mask being taken off.

phantomphreak's Profile Send Private Message phantomphreak's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 34 | Posts: 36 | Roses: 10
Old 10-22-2005 at 10:37 PM
Ceridwen
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5] »

I think it's really a quite common thing in every day life. For example, I wear a lot of 'dark' make-up when going out of the house. It's my way to disguise myself. I only wear dark clothing, without being totally 'Gothic', but I feel comfortable in it.

In this example, it's my way to feel free, to be who I want to be. I have a skin problem which really hurts, and I disguise it as much as possible. Sometimes, people around me want me to wear more 'happy' clothing, but it's not me ;) :D

Point is: I think a lot of people use 'masks' (in many ways), to show who they are
Ceridwen's Profile Send Private Message Ceridwen's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Zelda/Yvette/Padme | Gender: female | Age: 28 | Posts: 2,274 | Roses: 10
Old 10-29-2005 at 01:23 AM
Christine Daaé
Wandering Child
House Patron
Angel of Music

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6] »

I've noticed that Erik has a lot of personality changes in the ALW musical, as well.

Normal mask: very cool, calm, collected, yet seductive, charming, and romantic. He's in command of the situation, whatever happens.

Red Death: threatening, demanding, frightening. He's very forceful here, not showing any sympathy for anyone, including Christine.

Don Juan: here he is seductive and commanding, pretty much the same as the normal mask, only intensified.

No mask: quite insane here, quick to anger, sorrowful, pleading, vulnerable.

Quite a big spectrum, no?

~ Zelda

Christine Daaé's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Posts: 301 | Roses: 10
Old 10-29-2005 at 04:17 PM
YoungGiry
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7] »

Great point, Zelda. Especially your analysis of his various personalites. I think the mask is for him a way of controlling his life. When I first saw the movie fairground scene, one of the first things that struck me was the fact that he had no mask. At that point he had no way of controlling his life, and was controlled by others. When he creates the mask he has taken control of his own life.

As for the other personalites, I think that Erik is in many ways an actor. This is not to say that that the other personalites were any less real, because I know as an actor that you can play many different roles and have them all really be you. I believe that Don Juan and the Red Death were ways of him showing those sides of himself that he didn't let himself show otherwise, through the use of other roles. It holds a similar appeal to a Masquerade ball in which you can put on the mask and become someone else, but not really someone else, just a different aspect of yourself that you couldn't show otherwise.

Back to my original point, when the mask is removed, Erik loses the control over his life that he tries so hard to one, and reacts with anger or fear or vunerability. Despite the fact that we all know how controlling he is of Christine, when she removes his mask he feels that she is the one in control. He may try desperatly to regain this control (ex. the final lair scene, in ALW or Leroux) but she still has an ability to control him.

The angel sees, the angel knows.
YoungGiry's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 10-29-2005 at 10:52 PM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8] »

Very good analyses from Zelda and Rachel! Personally, I agree that the mask is a way for Erik to feel like he has control over his life. After all, when he was younger, he was severely mistreated whenever his mask was removed. However, with the mask on, he was capable of practically anything. He therefore began to feel like his mask gave him protection, and felt vulnerable without it. Because of that vulnerability, he became violent and desperate, perhaps thinking that he had to resort to violence so that nobody would harm him again. In short, his past made him believe that his mask made him invincible. Without it, he became a cornered animal ready to lash out without warning.

I also think that his mask was a way for him to express himself as he wished. It's a bit like my online addiction; when I'm online with people I've never met personally, I feel as if I can say whatever's on my mind without fear of embarrassment. Perhaps Erik felt the same way about his mask; it gave him freedom to do anything he wanted. I think that is especially evident in the ALW musical, in the Red Death and Don Juan scenes.

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 28 | Posts: 45 | Roses: 10
Old 11-08-2005 at 06:51 PM
TeeJay
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9] »

I dont blame Erik for going 'insane' when his mask is removed. After all it was his disfigured face that kept him from being treated like a normal person.

TeeJay

-You alone can make my song take flight-
TeeJay's Profile Send Private Message TeeJay's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Crystal | Gender: female | Age: 30 | Posts: 213 | Roses: 10
Old 11-08-2005 at 08:57 PM
sunshine
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10] »

Your right TeeJay Erik was not treated like a normal person because of his disfigured face. I think when his mask is removed that he acts harshly because he was treated harshly because of his face.

sunshine's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote