The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom Don Juan Triumphant Don Juan's Libretto
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 10-08-2010 at 06:55 PM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
The Phantom [2]  Post [1]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KChan88 View Post
Really, really interesting points, Cassie. I've never actually read Kay myself, but from having read spoilers and such, and reading what you wrote here, it seems that Erik would (in Kay-verse) have the foundation to truly love Christine. In this version he's had all types of relationships, which would definitely allow him to know what being in love was, and should have taught him how to show it, at least better than he does.

I think too, however, that in other versions, where Erik hadn't experienced much affection at all, he could have an idea of what being in love felt like. Erik was very intelligent, after all, and this was a huge rush of emotion. I think the bigger problem is that Erik hardly knew how to express that he was in love with Christine. He thought he knew it, but telling her, or anyone for that matter, was something else entirely. I'm wondering where the disconnect between him believing he loved her and attempting to express it occurred? Something to think about. His understanding of romantic love, it appears to me, wasn't complete because of the way he acted. Some piece of the puzzle was missing, which isn't surprising considering his tragic past.
Let's continue the discussion here! (Since we somehow didn't notice how high the post count on the first thread had gotten...)

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Seren | Gender: Nonbinary/androgyne | Age: 28 | Posts: 1,031 | Roses: 10
Old 10-08-2010 at 07:14 PM
xXphantomaddictedXx
Wandering Child
Dial A For Alan.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2]

First post, ahoy!

Also, I don't want to divert from the current topic too much, but I have some thoughts about Erik.

For instance, what is behind his obsession with the number five? We all know his private box was labeled as "Box 5," of course, but there are other things that point to an obsession, as well. For example, he kept Christine in his lair for five days. Plus, there is the fact that, in the Leroux novel, his lair was in the fifth cellar.

I also have a theory that Erik might have had a skin condition known as porphyria, which, in layman's terms, is extreme sensitivity to light. Although porphyria is mainly associated with vampires and werewolves, I don't see a reason why Erik couldn't have had some form of it, as well. His deformity aside, it might explain the other part of his reasons for living under the opera house rather than in our world.

Just some of my musings.

There are many bodies of water in this world;

Yet none would quench my thirst for you.
xXphantomaddictedXx's Profile Send Private Message xXphantomaddictedXx's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 07-21-2011 at 09:09 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXphantomaddictedXx View Post

For instance, what is behind his obsession with the number five? We all know his private box was labeled as "Box 5," of course, but there are other things that point to an obsession, as well. For example, he kept Christine in his lair for five days. Plus, there is the fact that, in the Leroux novel, his lair was in the fifth cellar.

V for Vendetta much?
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Linda | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 12-26-2014 at 11:26 PM
Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4]

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXphantomaddictedXx View Post
Somehow I'm feeling compelled to throw my own nickels and dimes into this discussion, so here are my thoughts. Although it may seem like he was, Erik was never "in love" with Christine at all. It seems much more likely that he was "in lust" with her because, in all (or most) versions, he doesn't have a lot of social knowledge. Due to this, he seems to have trouble explaining how he feels and what he wants -- meaning he wouldn't know true love even if it was right under his nose. Any thoughts
You know, I don't think it takes a lot of social knowledge to fall in love. There have been studies about love and it's been shown that if two people spend a lot of time with each other, their chances of falling in love increase substantially. Erik spent a lot of time with Christine, so much so that she comments they have become friends. He could have very easily fallen in love with her, given the amount of time they spent together.
Designated Driver's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote