The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom Don Juan Triumphant Don Juan's Libretto
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 07-18-2009 at 08:00 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [51]

She can be the comic relief, but giving her a serious air is what I usually do to most funny people in shows/movies/etc. I actually found the managers funnier than her, but that's just my POV.

When Carlotta is actually portrayed as a great sing (unlike the 2004 movie) then she actually is a that is in a fight with the main character, but in the 2004 movie where she was even more dramatic she was just really funny.

This is one of those characters that change from performer to performer and so it just varies on what you have seen or heard.

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 07-18-2009 at 11:35 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [52]

I think for the most part, Carlotta is often just the comic relief. I've never seen her used as a hard-core antagonist. Though in the Charles Dance version, she does get QUITE nasty.
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 07-19-2009 at 02:53 AM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [53]

I don't see her as an antagonist at all, but she's just again the main character, she does hate her for her, but she hates Christine because she's taking the spotlight. She didn't do anything to Daae, but she just eventually left for a while.

She's not the bad 'guy', but she is someone that has something again the main character.

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 07-30-2009 at 07:34 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [54]

I think Carlotta (using literary devices) was just conflict in Christine's life. It was man vs. man (or woman vs. woman in this case I suppose). It's interesting that a more minor character had such a big impact on the story. In the book, if it weren't for Carlotta, the infamous chandelier never would have crashed. In the musical, if she hadn't stormed off, Christine never would have gotten a chance in the spot light. I guess she's a pretty important character when you look at it like that.
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2009 at 03:15 AM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [55]

True true...but just because she was stubborn and a threat to Daae's career it doesn't mean that she was Christine's only problem. I personally think that she didn't have a problem with Carlotta besides her attitude.

Carlotta seems like me because we become easily jealous of our competition and we are dramatic ;) yea cynical!

Name: Anne | Gender: Female | Posts: 66 | Roses: 10
Old 12-21-2014 at 01:19 AM
Lotte Potter
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [56]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Away View Post
True true...but just because she was stubborn and a threat to Daae's career it doesn't mean that she was Christine's only problem. I personally think that she didn't have a problem with Carlotta besides her attitude.

Carlotta seems like me because we become easily jealous of our competition and we are dramatic ;) yea cynical!
I agree here about Carlotta. To be fair, she doesn't really know what exactly is going on or believe in the Phantom, so it's Christine that truly annoys her. Still, though, it's her egotistical attitude that makes her undesirable. Like you, I don't think Christine had a problem with Carlotta because she was kind and eager to please. I also don't know that she cared very much about being a "star." Christine certainly doesn't throw a fit about not being in the spotlight (ex: Poor Fool, where she plays the page boy without a problem), and she leaves the Opera House with Raoul without a problem. The only time she spoke up was in defense of herself, and rightfully so because she was innocent! Therefore, it's Carlotta's attitude.
That was slightly off topic, I'm sorry, but I felt it would make a point about the prominence of her pride.
Lotte Potter's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Linda | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 01-02-2015 at 10:28 PM
Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [57]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte Potter View Post
I agree here about Carlotta. To be fair, she doesn't really know what exactly is going on or believe in the Phantom, so it's Christine that truly annoys her. Still, though, it's her egotistical attitude that makes her undesirable. Like you, I don't think Christine had a problem with Carlotta because she was kind and eager to please. I also don't know that she cared very much about being a "star." Christine certainly doesn't throw a fit about not being in the spotlight (ex: Poor Fool, where she plays the page boy without a problem), and she leaves the Opera House with Raoul without a problem. The only time she spoke up was in defense of herself, and rightfully so because she was innocent! Therefore, it's Carlotta's attitude.
That was slightly off topic, I'm sorry, but I felt it would make a point about the prominence of her pride.
Carlotta is not annoyed with Christine in the stage and movie versions until much later on. She is initially annoyed with the countless excuses given about the accidents that occur on stage. She's a professional is a world class opera who has to constantly deal with unprofessionalism.
Designated Driver's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Linda | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 02-27-2015 at 12:33 AM
Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [58]

I was thinking about Carlotta today and wanted to ask a question. Do you think she should have stepped down and allowed Christine to be the star?
Designated Driver's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Anne | Gender: Female | Posts: 66 | Roses: 10
Old 03-07-2015 at 03:21 AM
Lotte Potter
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [59]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designated Driver View Post
I was thinking about Carlotta today and wanted to ask a question. Do you think she should have stepped down and allowed Christine to be the star?
I think you've made a fair point in stating that Carlotta really did work for what she got, so I don't think so. As much as I love Christine, I don't think that she was any more entitled to the role than Carlotta. Although if we're talking about the case with Erik's schemes and such, I think yes for her safety's sake.
Lotte Potter's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote