The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom Don Juan Triumphant Don Juan's Libretto
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 07-17-2009 at 06:51 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [11]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Their love was not only in body but in soul too. The lyric:

"The Phantom of the Opera is there inside my mind."

This kind of means for me that their spirts were one and with the help of music, their love, though it may not have been the same for both of them, blossomed.

Cheesey yes but I'm bored :D

No it's not cheesy at all, it does work because everyone does see their relationship as all passion and lust. I believe, some time before Christine has seen Erik as a person and had only heard his voice she sees passion in his voice, the purity of their relationship then turns to lust when they finally meet. I must admit Christine was probably intrigued by his mask, and he was attracted to her beautiful.

So really, I'm going to say that their voices are a huge part in the relationship.

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Pudding, Bubbles, Pablo, Spider | Gender: Mademoiselle | Age: 22 | Posts: 242 | Roses: 0
Old 08-05-2009 at 04:05 PM
La Masque
Wandering Child
Erik's Margarita

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [12]

Weeellll...I must say that I am shocked at all you peoples you haven't mentioned one of the most important details that kept their relationship alive.
Music, yes, music was DEFINANTLY involved......
I think I read a post where someone got kinda close and said that the only reason they had a relationship was because he was masquerading as the Angel of Music.
HELLO, a big key componet was her dead father!!! Sounds stupid, but think about it. If her father hadn't promised her an angel, she wouldn't have believed Erik whatsoever. Then, they met in the chapel for the first time, and that is where they had some of their lessons. Aaaannnd in the Leroux book, Erik proved he was her father's angel in the graveyard by playing that lovely song for Christine. Not only did that earn her trust, but it filled her with "extacy". That's why she didn't want to leave him when Raoul tried to make her leave before she saw his face.

And in the 2004 movie, Christine is at the graveyard apologizing to her father for thinking that Erik was him and saying her final goodbye. ERIK then gets her attention by making her think that he is NOT just an angel, or a ghost, but her father "Wandering child, so lost, so helpless, yearning for my guidance"..........."Too long you've wandered in winter, far from my fathering gaze" Sooooo, if Christine didn't believe in her father and love him enough, then no matter how well Erik could sing, she wouldn't have fallen for it---unless you believe what some people say about her being "brainwashed" UGH!

Thank you PJ for the awesome sig!! You are the Angel of Awesomeness!!
La Masque's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 08-05-2009 at 11:58 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [13]

I thought we did talk about music. It is most definitely there in that relationship. I would have to say art in general is in their relationship. You know, but that's morely on the Phantom's side. The dummy, the paintings...etc...

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 08-06-2009 at 02:22 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [14]

His art was more of a way to vent his love for her in an unhealthy way so I disagree and say that that was only really Erik's own thing.

But in addition to that, Erik's obsession with Christine was a big hunk out of their relationship. If he had not stalked her and such, they never would have gotten where they were.
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009 at 05:18 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [15]

Sorry for being unclear. I meant art in general. You know the vocal arts, musical, instrumental, visual art is something that he didn't for himself. I can't understand why I used the dummy as an example..i know why. I was sick that day :( haha physically, emotionally, and mentally SICK! My deepest apologize to you Viktoria, anyone that saw that, and myself...what's wrong with me when I'm sick...:(

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 08-07-2009 at 08:03 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [16]

Now, now, why the hell are you apologizing? I totally see what you mean now. You weren't being unclear, my dear, I just took your words as another meaning. If anything, I should be sorry. You were comeplty right in saying that they shared art. I just assumed that since it been mentioned before, you ment something else. No biggie.
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2009 at 09:28 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [17]

Oh me bad. I'm always unclear. We both should stop saying sorry for this because we won't stop until the other stops....soooo yea....

Anywho. I would say specifically the Violin. I'm not really sure where it was, but Erik was known to play the violin as well and so Daae's father was a violist...it connects!

Also it's probably lack of parental guidance that has brought them together. Not saying that Madame wasn't motherly, but Christine had missed her mother and father and mourned for their death like a normal person. Erik....well that's another story...(Kay's version..) he had an EVIL mother. Affection is probably something that Christine missed and Erik never had...

My POV of course.

Name: Chiara | Gender: a young lady | Age: 21 | Posts: 105 | Roses: 10
Old 06-27-2014 at 08:01 PM
Flattering Child
Wandering Child
no emperor received so fair a gift

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [18]

I know this is a very old thread, but that doesn't make it less interesting. I don't know how many people talking in this thread are still active, but I still want to write here. I want to give this forum some lifes, because it deserves to be active! I am new, but really fond of this small forum.

Music is, of course, an important part of their "relationship". But there is also one thing they have in common: Their unworldliness (is that actually a word in English language? I have no idea...). We don't know much about Erik's past - exept that it has been very unusual. He always lived in his own world, because he was not accepted in the other people's world. Christine, in the meantime, grew up in her own world. She lived with her father, their music and the fairy tales he had told her. When she grew up, she became an opera singer, living in the fanastic world of theatre, and was soon influenced by her "angel". Both have very different views on reality than "usual" people, both live in a dreamworld. If they actually had ended up with each other, they'd probably moved to a dreamworld for both of them. That would have "filled their union".

Flattering Child's Profile Send Private Message Flattering Child's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Linda | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 11-13-2014 at 02:33 PM
Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [19]

I would love to see some real discussion get going on this forum as well, so Ill add my two cents here.

Is love of music really a good indicator of proof that a soulful union in the case of Christine and Erik? Im going to go with no. I think what made their relationship a union was the fact that Christine was looking for someone to control her. Erik/The Phantom was looking for someone to control. Music was simply common ground between them, the tool that both could understand. He could use it to control her. Because of that control, she used it to sing as she never sang before.

La Masque, I think your post makes a lot of sense regarding Christine's father. In the book, he exercised a great deal of control over her, and it alarmed Madame Valerius at times. We don't know what he was like in the stage version or movie, but I suspect that he used a great deal of control on Christine, and I think he coated a lot of it as supposed fatherly love. I think it was unhealthy for her to say the least. It's to Christine's credit in both novel and theater/movie that she starts to take control of her own life and make her own destiny.
Designated Driver's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Anne | Gender: Female | Posts: 66 | Roses: 10
Old 12-21-2014 at 12:32 AM
Lotte Potter
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [20]

I think that their bond definitely changes throughout the story.
First and foremost, Daddy Daae. Christine is promised an angel to guide and watch over her, as well as to continue teaching her after her father couldn't. I wouldn't say that Christine is looking for someone to control her, but for a fatherly figure. She was always with him and loved/looked up to him, resulting her dependence on him. She lost her passion for singing when he died, yet continued to train to honor him and for Velarius. As soon as her Angel comes in, she finds that love of music again because she believes it is her father that sent him. It's the connection with Daae through music that first bonded her with him.
Regarding her father: Daae was depressed and and didn't take very good care of her. But in the book it says that he cared only for his daughter and his music (to paraphrase), so I don't think he was intentionally trying to harm her. He was not in a good state mentally, which caused him to take odd actions. I think that's why Velarius wouldn't let Christine go with him to fairs for long. He made up stories for her, but I don't remember anything implying that he controlled her. They spent all their time together while he made up stories to tell her, believing in them as much as she did. While it taught her things that eventually harmed her, I believe that Daae's mental health was to blame. In the end, however, Daae loved his daughter and was all Christine had for a long time. So that made it extra hard on her.

Erik, like most of you have stated, is looking for a voice, a way to share his inner genius. I think he does genuinely fall in love with Christine. Look at her: she's kind, genuine, trusting, loving, and willing to look past the things which are superficial. As the story progresses, it's pity, truly. Christine realizes that Erik is yearning for love, that that is what began his troubles. Christine knows what loneliness feels like, so she can relate. However, I think that this is where it stops. In the end Erik is bonded by her inner beauty, while Christine understands part of him, but not the killing. Erik destroyed his soul; he is a monster, even though he has been hurt. Christine was just as lonely as him emotionally at one point, yet she did not kill anyone; it is there that ends the understanding. So that's why I think the bond ends there.
Lotte Potter's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote