The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom Don Juan Triumphant Don Juan's Libretto
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Manda | Gender: Female | Age: 30 | Posts: 167 | Roses: 10
Old 05-20-2005 at 08:34 PM
Always_Erik_Fan
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Meg Giry  Post [1]

Meg Giry: We don't (in my opinion) see enough of her in either the film or the books. She is drastically different in the film/stage version of POTO than in the book.

In the film, Meg has blonde hair, but in Leroux's book, it's black
In the film, Meg is attractive and Christine's age. In the book, she is rather ugly and a child.

Basically, there are only one or two similarities between ALW's Meg and GL's: she is Madame Giry's daughter and a dancer. Now talk more about this fascinating character here!

Always_Erik_Fan's Profile Send Private Message Always_Erik_Fan's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 27 | Posts: 423 | Roses: 10
Old 05-21-2005 at 02:58 AM
Countess Cain
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2]

I think she's horribly underappreciated by the upper people. ;)

I don't really care about things such as hair color... But I can see why they wanted to make her older and stuff. It just fits better with it, I think.

Formerly Sadako Kurosawa!
Countess Cain's Profile Send Private Message Countess Cain's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 28 | Posts: 333 | Roses: 10
Old 05-21-2005 at 11:40 AM
cinty
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3]

I am a huge fan of Meg in the movie, but in the book, she's kind of awful isn't she? I don't find her very nice at all. Her role is also a lot smaller. But in the musicall... boy is she a sweetie! I love her so much! She's like, one of my fave characters.
Jennifer Ellison in the movie did a great job (though i wish they hadn't put her in dresses with such LOW necklines!) and she was sooo sweet.

Please join:Erik\'s Phans!,Exceptional Beauties and Erik\'s Lair
I am a Raoul/Christine shipper and PROUD of it!!!
cinty's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Posts: 18 | Roses: 10
Old 05-23-2005 at 05:31 PM
M. Andrei
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4]

Yes - some verrrrrrrrry low necklines!
I agree - Meg in the book is very different to Meg in the film! I went to see the Stage Show ages ago so I can't remeber it well, but from what I hear I don't think Meg had a very big part!
I think Meg is a little annoying in the film -she speaks and sings perfectly! Her big eyes help this - so I expect this is how Meg is supposed to appear!
Meg's part is one of my favourite parts in Phntm to sing though - I can reach all of the notes!

When will the blood begin to roast AND ERIK MAKE MY CHEESE ON TOAST!!
M. Andrei's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Manda | Gender: Female | Age: 30 | Posts: 167 | Roses: 10
Old 05-23-2005 at 05:46 PM
Always_Erik_Fan
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5]

Quote:
Originally posted by M. Andrei
Yes - some verrrrrrrrry low necklines!
I agree - Meg in the book is very different to Meg in the film! I went to see the Stage Show ages ago so I can't remeber it well, but from what I hear I don't think Meg had a very big part!
I think Meg is a little annoying in the film -she speaks and sings perfectly! Her big eyes help this - so I expect this is how Meg is supposed to appear!
Meg's part is one of my favourite parts in Phntm to sing though - I can reach all of the notes!
Her parts are also some of my favorite to sing; in AoM I don't sing Christine's parts, just hers! ~lol~

And she doesn't really seem to have a big part in ANY POTO production... *le sigh* Perhaps I should write a story about HER involvement with the lovely love triangle...
Always_Erik_Fan's Profile Send Private Message Always_Erik_Fan's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Em | Gender: female | Age: 26 | Posts: 1,380 | Roses: 210
Old 05-28-2005 at 11:31 AM
Opera Ghost
Wandering Child
House Patron
i worship cheesecake

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6]

Quote:
Originally posted by M. Andrei
*makes innocent face* She's one of your favourite parts to sing? Heh sorry about that...I always make you sing as Christine (because you're better at the high notes than me!)

I totally agree about the neckline thing - it's something myself and M.Andrei have had a longstanding annoyance with. Especially in Masquerade...I'm surprised Madame Giry doesn't have a word with her ;)

She's a good character and is a brilliant singer (and is very pretty!), and I respect her for that. However, I do sometimes get annoyed at her perfectness, angelicness, pureness... In the book, she is so much different (as said before, she's a young silly child with black hair who keeps on saying things she shouldn't) but I prefer the film version of Meg's character.

OG

No day but today
Opera Ghost's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Posts: 18 | Roses: 10
Old 05-28-2005 at 02:56 PM
M. Andrei
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7]

Na, it's OK, I like singing any Phantom bits!
Does anyone have a theory as to why a girl in the 19th Century (Or whenever) would be allowed to go around wearing trousers!! Meg goes charging through the Opera vaults at the end of the film wearing trousers and no one seems to bat an eye! Surely women wouldn't be allowed to do this at that time!!

When will the blood begin to roast AND ERIK MAKE MY CHEESE ON TOAST!!
M. Andrei's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 06-14-2005 at 05:26 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8]

I agree that Meg is horribly underrated and underappreciated in every version. She did get a (very) slightly larger role in the film, though, when she discovers the sliding mirror and the path to the lair. The film didn't go far enough with that, in my opinion. :D One question: Who unlocked the door to Christine's dressing room? Did Erik go back up while Christine was sleeping and unlock it? Does Madame Giry have a key?

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Posts: 301 | Roses: 10
Old 06-19-2005 at 03:39 PM
YoungGiry
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9]

Interesting question, IamErik, I've been wondering that myself.

Meg is an interesting chracter, very sweet and kind and nice. I feel that there must be something else to her, though. She is Madame Giry's daughter after all. Which is what makes Erik/Meg stories so interesting! In some ways they are paired better then Erik/Christine, but in other ways it seems completly ridiculous.

I do prefer her character in the musical/movie to the book version, because bookverse Meg seems quite cruel to me. But I also prefer movie/musicalverse Madame Giry, so that might have something to do with it.

The angel sees, the angel knows.
YoungGiry's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: C!Christine | Gender: Female | Posts: 1,937 | Roses: 10
Old 06-25-2005 at 11:02 AM
Luciana
Wandering Child
House Patron
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10]

I think that Meg was underapperciated, especially because of her voice in the movie. She has such a clear and angelic voice, yet she wishes to know Christine's secret? I do think that the people casting at the Opera House should have given Meg at least a small role to play where she could sing, by herself. She was a really good singer.

She also shows a bit more curious and slightly nosy side then Christine. She wanted to know what Christine was up to, so she followed the path the mirror held.

|Lydia | The PPP |
Psssh, I have no artistic talent like this. It\'s all KT. Except Sam. Sam\'s mom can [s]take the blame[/s] claim credit for her.
Luciana's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote