The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom Don Juan Triumphant Don Juan's Libretto
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: | Gender: | Age: 27 | Posts: 25 | Roses: 10
Old 06-21-2005 at 07:41 AM
Claidissa
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [21]

Personally I think it was a good choice to make him "sexy." If he had been as disfigured as stated in the book(s), it would have repelled the audience and no one but hard core Phans would have liked it. You gotta think of the box office, here, people! XD

I also think it helped in the seducing scenes. It was good to have the audience be able to see him as Christine saw him, a handsome, entrancing, mysterious man with a beautiful voice. If he had been extremely ugly even with the mask on, people would have been confused.
It's also a plus for me. *Phangirls on Gerry* :D

.:hide your face so the world will never find you:.
Claidissa's Profile Send Private Message Claidissa's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 27 | Posts: 631 | Roses: 10
Old 06-21-2005 at 02:58 PM
The_Persian
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [22]

I think the Phantom in the movie was a bit too sexy... i mean, he was outcast all his life because he was ugly. That means he would have to be uglier or less sexy then he was portrayed the movie. Thats one of the reasons that Christine was scared of him wasnt it? "Angel of music, you decieved me. I gave you my mind blindy" doesnt that mean she didnt know he was so ugly?

dont get me wrong, i still think gerry made an excellent phantom, and, since he's not the real phantom anyway, theres nothing wrong with him being hot:)!!

Made by the marvolous \'Mae\'
The_Persian's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 06-22-2005 at 04:38 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [23]

I think the "you deceived me" line was because he "tricked" her into thinking he was the spirit of her father. After all, she found out about his physical ugliness pretty early on in the film, and then it was 3 months between that and the Masquerade scene. And then, after "Point of No Return," she seemed pretty calm when taking off his mask for a second time, in front of everyone.

I think that while the book's description of the disfigurement would have been too much, the one in the stage version (or something similar) would have been perfect. After all, the stage phantom is much uglier, and he isn't perfect even on the "good side" of his face, but most female audience members still seem to think he's sexy.

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Maria | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 430 | Roses: 10
Old 06-24-2005 at 04:43 AM
phantomphreak
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [24]

I think the main reason they picked a 'sexy' Phantom is because they wanted more women to come see it and raise money at the box office. But also, I think it is symbolism. Erik is very sexy, just not in his looks. The sexy look is a way of symbolising his genius and intelligence.

phantomphreak's Profile Send Private Message phantomphreak's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 27 | Posts: 631 | Roses: 10
Old 06-24-2005 at 01:44 PM
The_Persian
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [25]

Yeah, that makes sense phantomphreak! I guess the producers decided to make him more mysterious then ugly...

Made by the marvolous \'Mae\'
The_Persian's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Maria | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 430 | Roses: 10
Old 06-24-2005 at 06:53 PM
phantomphreak
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [26]

I forgot to add that the sexy look also symbolises his voice. And thanks The_Persian!!

phantomphreak's Profile Send Private Message phantomphreak's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: C!Christine | Gender: Female | Posts: 1,937 | Roses: 10
Old 06-25-2005 at 11:21 AM
Luciana
Wandering Child
House Patron
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [27]

I think that they should have made the makeup more intense, but I can't fight with their decision to make a good-looking Erik. I think that it lowered the pity people felt for him and allowed more room for the observation of his acts.

It did, however, bring about a lot of hatred towards Christine for leaving him. In some situations, I appreciate it, but in others... well, I guess I should just see a play to compare it better.

|Lydia | The PPP |
Psssh, I have no artistic talent like this. It\'s all KT. Except Sam. Sam\'s mom can [s]take the blame[/s] claim credit for her.
Luciana's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Kara | Gender: Female | Age: 27 | Posts: 132 | Roses: 10
Old 07-02-2005 at 02:21 AM
composer15
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [28]

I think that having the phantom be handsom and sexy for the movie was a very smart decision because it makes good movies and sells to people.Although that is not how the book and musical phantoms were I believe it worked well for this senario. I love how Gerard Butler portrayed the character and really enjoyed listening to his voice. All in all I really like the movie version and thought it was a great idea to make the Phantom so good looking.

Much Love

Beautiful Banner Created by the Talented phantomphreak!

Enter If You Dare!
composer15's Profile Send Private Message composer15's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Kat/Leia/Brittany | Gender: Female tomboy. | Age: 29 | Posts: 2,916 | Roses: 85
Old 07-03-2005 at 04:38 AM
Why So Silent
Wandering Child
House Patron
Finally the Member of a Cult!

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [29]

I think that it was a good idea to put a sexy Erik (apart from the obvious reasons) because it always kinda hints in the book (especially in the Susan Kay version) that Erik had a strange sort of sex appeal and was very graceful and....arg, I can't think of the word, and my mom is making fun of me for moving my arms in strange ways, but ya'll get the point, no? Gerry portrayed the Phantom's je ne ce qoi very well. I haven't seen the stage production, so I can't really comment on Michael Crawford's performance. My mom says that he was fat.
Toodles
Why So Silent

Why So Silent's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Jessica | Gender: Female | Age: 27 | Posts: 210 | Roses: 10
Old 07-09-2005 at 03:36 AM
phantoms_nemo
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [30]

I am 200% ok with who they picked. For once, the Phantom (Gerry Butler) is all that I have on my mind!
My friends make fun me but the Phantom is cool.
phantoms_nemo's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote