The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » The Lair of the Phantom » Don Juan Triumphant » Don Juan's Libretto
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 04-30-2005 at 05:52 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [11] »

I loved Gerry's portrayal, but thought he should have been made a little uglier for the story to make more sense. They could have made him at least as ugly as the stage version; people still found the stage phantom sexy despite the more severe disfigurement. And regarding Victoria Greneaux's post, Lon Chaney did have a mask to cover his disfigurement, and so when the film was first shown, there were reports of people actually fainting when Christine (played by Mary Philbin) removed his mask. :)

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 31 | Posts: 16 | Roses: 10
Old 05-04-2005 at 10:29 AM
Requiem
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [12] »

I thought Gerry looked great, but, like Always_Erik_Fan, I don't see him as the Phantom. I think that making Erik handsome was a clever idea from the film-makers designed to give the movie more wide-spread appeal. For example, younger people who could never be stuffed going to see an Opera film might think twice about it if it has a hot guy in it. With me? It's a little bit like the Orlando Bloom Complex... make a fantastic quality old-age action movie so that the die-hard fans will see it, then throw Orlando Bloom in the lead so that everyone will see it.

I do think that Gerard was really good, though. He certainly pulled off the acting, even if he didn't quite pull off the singing side of it. However, I just thought his looks kind of detracted from the movie for me... even without his mask, he still didn't look that bad. Making him handsome made me think that Chirstine wasn't falling for his musical abilities - rather that she was falling for his beauty. Erik wasn't supposed to lure Christine with his sexy good-looks - it was meant to be with his hauntingly beautiful singing, which she loved even despite his serious disfigurement.
Requiem's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 05-07-2005 at 02:22 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [13] »

Well-said, Requiem. I loved the film (saw it again today... in band class! :D) and I loved Gerard's performance, but thought, "If only they had made him uglier, the story would make so much more sense." I mean, why would he be treated as a freak and exhibited in a cage when even a survivor of smallpox would look worse than that?

<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 28 | Posts: 333 | Roses: 10
Old 05-09-2005 at 06:28 AM
cinty
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [14] »

Quote:
Originally posted by IamErik771
Well-said, Requiem. I loved the film (saw it again today... in band class! :D) and I loved Gerard's performance, but thought, "If only they had made him uglier, the story would make so much more sense." I mean, why would he be treated as a freak and exhibited in a cage when even a survivor of smallpox would look worse than that?
That is such a good point. why would they treat someone with a mild radiation sunburn that way? And does anyhone notice that his makeup really isn't consistent? In some scenes.. like this one
http://www.thephantom.org/gallery/al..._poto-1466.jpg
he looks pretty bad. But it's not consistent. Here it does not look nearly as bad. I just think they should have kept up the consistency of the makeup.

Please join:Erik\'s Phans!,Exceptional Beauties and Erik\'s Lair
I am a Raoul/Christine shipper and PROUD of it!!!
cinty's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 30 | Posts: 18 | Roses: 10
Old 05-15-2005 at 04:00 PM
BlondeAngel
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [15] »

the first thing I noticed about Gerry is that he was a very talented man, then how handsome he really is !! yes, in the books, he is a "monster" but you should think that a lot of things were changed !! like Christine and Meg changed hair colours in between ... and inocent Christine hangs out her boobs in her fathers cemetery ... "little Meg" is very happy with Mother Nature for giving her such a nice cleavege ... even Mme Giry flips her hair in one scene ... then it is clear that they changed Erik too !! the only one who respects the book is Raoul de Chagny and that aout sums it up

Christine you must have been dreaming ...
stories like that can\'t come true
Christine, you\'re talking in riddles
and it\'s not like you
BlondeAngel's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2005 at 09:02 PM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [16] »

And even then, they cut the fact that Raoul was orphaned, that he had an older brother named Philippe, and that he had a mustache. I guess it made sense for the film though.
And regarding Cinty's post, I think the consistency of the makeup would depend on the lighting conditions. At the end of PONR, the light came mostly from below them, which probably would have made him look worse than usual. In "Down Once More," the light comes from candles all around them, which would illuminate different areas of his face and make him look better in some shots and worse in others. But for some reason, in Stranger Than You Dreamt It, you can clearly see his face for about 2 seconds, and there is no disfigurement! What is with that? I think they should have picked camera angles a bit more carefully for that scene.

Name: Zelda/Yvette/Padme | Gender: female | Age: 28 | Posts: 2,274 | Roses: 10
Old 05-18-2005 at 02:52 AM
Christine Daaé
Wandering Child
House Patron
Angel of Music

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [17] »

Personally, I think he was way too sexy. My mother has a great big crush on Gerik now, which, in my opinion, was not supposed to happen. Even in the stage musical, he was hideous -- not nearly as much as in the book, but still enough to be a real eyesore. I've seen worse rashes on a person. Honestly, it would not have hurt to make him uglier; we as audiences are jaded now to appearences, as the blood and gore in all the other Hollywood movies have made us so.

Ah, well, I suppose Gerik is better than Jerik -- Julian Sands/Erik in the Dario Argento film. In that one, he didn't even wear a mask! He had long, platinum-blonde hair and the biggest nose I've ever seen. Worst of all, he wasn't disfigured! At all! What's wrong with this picture?

~ Zelda de le Fantôme

Christine Daaé's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2005 at 05:09 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [18] »

I haven't seen that film, but from what I've heard, Jerik's (snicker) "deformity" is more psychological than physical. (a.k.a. playing with rats, brutally mutilating his victims, and all manner of other nasty things.) Apparently, the reason why they did that was because Julian Sands refused to wear a mask and disfiguring makeup for the film, and so Dario Argento (foolishly) caved to his request. Argento should have gone with his original plan of having a physically disfigured Erik played by John Malkovich. I would have loved to see him as the Phantom. :D

Name: | Gender: | Age: 27 | Posts: 423 | Roses: 10
Old 06-20-2005 at 08:51 PM
Countess Cain
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [19] »

I didn't mind it, to tell you the truth. Can you blame me? XD

However, I do wish they would have done something more to make it so he wasn't quite as appealing.

In the most recent movie, I found many 'awkward' moments. For example, when Christine is singing about his 'face that his hardly a face'. I can't think of anyone in real life that would say something like that about his disfiguration. XP

But I do think I would prefer Gerik to Jerik. Meep. Rat men are just sickening...

Formerly Sadako Kurosawa!
Countess Cain's Profile Send Private Message Countess Cain's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2005 at 05:30 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [20] »

Yes, that scene was quite awkward. So was the "He kills withought a thought, he murders all that's good..." line. Prior to that scene, Christine had only seen Erik kill a lecherous, drunken, dirty old man who probably deserved it. Oh, but then again, he had attacked and wounded Raoul in the previous scene. OK, I get it.