The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom Don Juan Triumphant Don Juan's Libretto
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Michelle | Gender: n/a | Posts: 42 | Roses: 10
Old 09-07-2015 at 09:02 PM
Knight of Cydonia
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
When does the Phantom fall in love with Christine?  Post [1]

This is something I've been pondering for a while, mainly about the ALW musical so I'll refer to that here (but I guess this could pertain to all of the various versions). There seem to be several moments in the story that are possibilities for the point the Phantom falls in love with Christine.

Did it happen before the events of the Phantom of the Opera, while he was tutoring her and getting to know her through the music lessons? Was it after the first unmasking when she gives him his mask back (Hal Prince's opinion)? Was it when he was kissed by Christine? Or do you think he was never in love with her and it was something else? I'd love to hear some opinions!
Knight of Cydonia's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Anne | Gender: Female | Posts: 66 | Roses: 10
Old 09-08-2015 at 06:02 PM
Lotte Potter
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2]

I think that Hal Prince had a point in mentioning the mask return, although I'm not so sure I think he fell in love with her right then and there. I've heard that the mask return really makes up the time between the unmasking and the end of Christine's two week captivity in the book, which I'd have to agree with. It shows that Christine saw something in him, enough so that she kindly gave him his mask. Was it the continuation of infatuation mixed with the beginnings of love? I can see that. I'm sure that Christine's kindness had a factor in his choosing her for a student, but more so because he could shape her both as an instrument and a person in any way he wished; thus giving him the chance to make someone love him even if for an Angel rather than himself.

In short, I think that the Phantom's need for her love was only a need for love in general. He treated her tenderly during MotN to try and enchant her and because he admired her; after all, he was probably expecting her to fall in love with him. I don't think it's until she physically shows him how selfless love is and how wonderful she is that he really, truly falls in love with her.
Lotte Potter's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote