The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom Don Juan Triumphant Don Juan's Libretto
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 07-09-2009 at 02:20 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [51]

When I first saw this, I thought Meg. I mean it would make sense, right? Raoul was 60-some at the time, so Meg would have to be around that age as well. However, Madame Giry was a 40 year old woman in the movie, so in the black and white scenes she would have to be 80-some which wasn't a likely age at the time. I think the directors just goofed up on this one (and just about everyhting else) considering that it is supposed to be Madame Giry.

It still irks me quite some...
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Haley | Gender: mademoiselle | Age: 25 | Posts: 4,279 | Roses: 0
Old 07-09-2009 at 09:19 PM
angelofthenight
Wandering Child
House Patron
I'm on my knees for you...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [52]

Actually I recently bought the Companion book to the Phantom of the Opera 2004 movie and it said in the book and on a special feature that I watched on the two disc special addition that the woman was Meg... so I think it was a little confusing but for all intents and purposes the woman was Meg.

Like the sound of silence calling I hear your voice and suddenly I'm falling lost in a dream
Like the echoes of our souls are meeting you say those words my heart stops beating
angelofthenight's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Kojinka | Gender: female | Age: 29 | Posts: 88 | Roses: 10
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:07 AM
Kojinka
Wandering Child
Ghost in Solitude

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [53]

There is evidence pointing to both Meg and Madame Giry. When my sis and I saw it in the theater, we thought it was Meg. She looked around the right age, since she's not supposed to be all that much younger than Christine and Raoul. and I would understand if they would want an older Meg to resemble her mother; they do that quite often in other films. We already knew from the stage show that Raoul did not age very well. Mme Giry had to have been somewhere in her forties during the main storyline, and If the lady in the black and white parts is supposed to be the same Mme. Giry, then she aged miraculously well. Even with the fact that she worked with ballet, it's still surprising she could've lived that long in that era.

"In empty court there flies firefly flows, and in high pedestal there walksn foxs" ~Song at Midnight
Kojinka's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 07-10-2009 at 05:15 AM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [54]

Perhaps they weren't thinking about the age difference so much because in the show it wasn't something that could be seen too easily there. I really just want to say Meg, but you know the writers intended it to be Mme Giry...right?

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 08-06-2009 at 04:57 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [55]

I know that they use the same actress for Madame Giry and Meg/Madame Giry not only in the movie but in the musical as well. You can see her in the stage show with her face in a veil. As said before, it could be either one of the characters but I am more partial to Meg than Madame Giry considering the age. Not to mention, at least in the stage version, the woman in the begining looks considerably younger than Raoul. That could just be because she doesn't have time to make a costume change like that, but it could mean other things as well. To me, it makes more sense that it's Meg, but if the directors intend it to be Madame Giry, that works well too.
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 08-07-2009 at 06:04 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [56]

Okay so I re-read all of this and I'm confused. I just want someone to answer one question. Is it Meg or Madame...I'm just so out of it because there's just too many thought. But then again Haley said something about having the actual interpretation that Joel wanted...and i think it was Meg...reasonable age...Madame Would have been dead too...soo.

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...

Old 08-07-2009 at 09:11 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [57]

I think in the script it stated that it was Madame Giry, contrary to the belief of it being Meg. Again, Meg makes a lot more sense to me personally, but I guess if the script says it's Madame Giry, it's Madame Giry...

Old 08-08-2009 at 10:35 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [58]

Oh scripts they make the difference in everything! Sooo, technically Madame Giry would be like...99 something and basically really old. I hope they considered that when designing the make-up.

Name: Chiara | Gender: a young lady | Age: 20 | Posts: 105 | Roses: 10
Old 10-09-2014 at 07:09 PM
Flattering Child
Wandering Child
no emperor received so fair a gift

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [59]

It only makes sense if it's Meg. Because Raoul was old then. So would Meg be. Mme Giry would be a lot older then. Or do you think Raoul would age - while Mme Giry stays young?

Flattering Child's Profile Send Private Message Flattering Child's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote