Name: Aviana | Gender: Ange de Musique | Posts: 98 | Roses: 10
Old 03-20-2010 at 08:08 PM
Soprano Rose
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Notre Dame de Paris  Post [1] »

Has anyone else here heard of this fantastic, and horribly underrated musical? It is based on the novel by Victor Hugo (incorrectly translated in to English "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"), and is quite possibly the most faithful adaption of it.

Notre Dame de Paris in a french "rock-opera" which debuted on 16 September 1998 in Paris starring Hélène Ségara (Esméralda), Garou (Quasimodo), Daniel Lavoie (Frollo), Bruno Pelletier (Gringoire), Patrick Fiori (Phœbus), Luck Mervil (Clopin), and Julie Zenatti (Fleur-de-Lys). The music was composed by Riccardo Cocciante and the lyrics were written by Luc Plamondon. It has run Canada, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, South Korea and Taiwan. An abridged English version was performed in 2000 in Las Vegas and a full-length London production ran for seventeen months. Unfortunately, it has never played on Broadway (probably due to the horrid English translation). Garou, Lavoie, Pelletier, and Mervil (all French-Canadian) reprised their roles in the original London production, while Esméralda was played by Tina Arena, Phoebus by Steve Balsamo, and Fleur-de-Lys by Natasha St-Pier.

Personally, this is one of my absolute favorite pieces of musical theatre, currently tied with Phantom and Les Miserables (ironically, another Hugo adaption) as my #1 favorite. My favorite version, by far, is the original French. I also really like the Italian, and prefer certain aspects of staging and placement of numbers in that production. The English had potential, but lost so much in translation, that it sounded rather dull, particularly by comparison. My favorite songs are: Belle, Les Oiseaux Qu'on met en cages, Danse mon Esméralda, Lune, Liberes, Bohemienne, Être prêtre et aimer une femme, Le temps des cathédrales, La Monture, and... well, basically everything!

If You would like to hear some of the music, the entire French (with English subtitles) and Italian versions are online. Click the link below to hear the original French version of the song "Belle", the show's most famous (and one of the most beautiful) song performed by Garou, Daniel Lavoie, and Patrick Fiori. Don't worry, it has subtitles (they are significantly off, but still get the meaning across for those who don't speak French).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBXeX...eature=related
Soprano Rose's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 22 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 03-22-2010 at 01:18 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2] »

Wow you took the words from ke. This is a beautiful show...Belle...in all honesty. Love the characters and surprisingly the rock vibe works. Truly a wonderfully written, directed,
and performed piece.

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: J | Gender: Homo Sapien | Age: 35 | Posts: 2,176 | Roses: 0
Old 04-19-2010 at 03:50 PM
Daroga
Opera Manager
House Patron
Lead Discipline Cult of Sam

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3] »

I'm hooked... Where's the link to the full show? I will be looking up the soundtrack for downloading this evening my ipod needs this. Not to mention the way it feeds the backstory of my Jean muse who is dancing with delight in my head. (He inhabits the sme part of my mind that loves art and opera so he's always lurking around there ;) ).

And I just listened to another concert version the three of them did. Garou (I assume) the one playing the hunchback... there's something so raw about his voice that is just... perfect for the role.

Max | Pieter | Polaris | Phoenix | Protagonist | I love Sam <3
<b><i>Daroga</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2010 at 08:25 PM
Soprano Rose
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4] »

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daroga View Post
I'm hooked... Where's the link to the full show? I will be looking up the soundtrack for downloading this evening my ipod needs this. Not to mention the way it feeds the backstory of my Jean muse who is dancing with delight in my head. (He inhabits the sme part of my mind that loves art and opera so he's always lurking around there ;) ).

And I just listened to another concert version the three of them did. Garou (I assume) the one playing the hunchback... there's something so raw about his voice that is just... perfect for the role.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Queenisgod

You can find the entire show on this channel. I'm really glad you enjoyed the song I posted!

I agree about Garou. He's fantastic! He and Daniel Lavoie are probably my favorite performers in the whole show. In my opinion, they were absolutely perfect for their rolls!

Old 05-08-2010 at 04:03 PM
Soprano Rose
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5] »

Sorry to double post, but I just came across this and I had to share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yaWHYaK20

The cast of the Russian production of "Notre Dame de Paris". SYNOPSIS: Apparently, Frollo comes back from the dead as The Phantom, mask and all!

Name: Debby | Gender: Female | Age: 46 | Posts: 1 | Roses: 10
Old 09-09-2010 at 04:03 PM
Lynley
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Notre Dame De Paris  Post [6] »

I have seen the musical some years ago in Brussels. It was very good, but I missed an orchestra. There was a musictape. It was good, but when there is an orchestra the actors and musicians can play with eachother while on stage. I noticed that when I saw musicals here in the Netherlands. I didn't saw Garou or Daniel Lavoie, but this was a great musical.
Lynley's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Kate O'Keefe | Gender: Female | Age: 27 | Posts: 29 | Roses: 10
Old 04-06-2011 at 01:32 AM
Kitty-Grimm
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7] »

YES!!! I love this musical! I can't stop listening to it and every time I hear Les Cloches or La Féte des Fous, I want to dance! I think as far as musicals go, it walks hand-in-hand with Phantom. It has just as much passion, great music and emotional range and of all Hunchback productions I've seen, this one has to be my favorite, simply because the cast is amazing, I love the style, music and dancing and it's certainly the most faithful to the book that I've seen. I can't really name my favorite song, but I think the tops of them are Belle, Tu Vas Me Detruire, La Monture, Les Oiseux Qu'on Met En Cage, Les Cloches, Libéres, Lune, La Féte des Fous and Danse, Mon Esmeralda.

I love Garou as Quasimodo. He's just so lovable and yet his movements and expressions are just perfect for the character. He has a really unique voice too and it really matches the character with how rusty it sounds, yet still so emotional.

Daniel Lavoie is amazing too. I love how he's sort of stiff and doesn't really know how to express himself, much like the character himself. His voice is incredible too. I was actually supposed to see him in concert late last year, but I had to miss it because of Work Week in college. Damn you, future career's need for arts education! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

I'm also kind of in love with Bruno Pelletier. He's just got such an amazing stage presence. I mean, what's not to love about him? He's good-looking, great actor, great singer, great dancer, funny and seems like a pretty nice guy. His range is amazing and I think Lune proves that. The lungs on that man and the notes he hits...*le swoon*

Although, I think for Esmeralda, I'd have to prefer Lola Ponce over Helene Segara any day. She's just more expressive, like I imagined the character to be, and more confident in her voice.

You are not alone!

Stalk me!
http://kitty-grimm.deviantart.com/
Kitty-Grimm's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2011 at 10:52 PM
Soprano Rose
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8] »

First off, welcome to the board, Lynley and Kitty-Grimm! I hope you enjoy it here.

Lynley, that's great that you got to see the show live! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever get that chance.

Kitty-Grimm, I agree with you on the actors - they did a great job! Although my favorite Esmeralda (at least vocally) is probably Tahis Ciurana from the Spanish cast. Lola Ponce is great too, though.

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 07-21-2011 at 08:30 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9] »

I just discovered this musical this summer (yay foreign musicals!) and I personally love it. Frollo's character especially interests me as well as Quasimodo's. It's a very driven production in my opinion both physically and vocally. My favorite songs would have to be Tu Vas Me Detruire and Belle.
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Laurasia | Gender: female | Age: 19 | Posts: 38 | Roses: 10
Old 09-06-2015 at 12:02 AM
VampirePotato
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10] »

Bumping this thread. I've always loved this musical's soundtrack, and I watched the live dvd for the first time in april. I loved it! Fortunately, French is my first language so I understand the whole thing without translation. I absolutely love the lyrics in "Belle" and "Danse, mon Esmeralda".

I'm under your spell...

VampirePotato's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote