Lead Discipline Cult of Sam

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
The Singer's Thread [2]  Post [1] »

Carry on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Daaé View Post
Attention all singers!

Got a question about singing? How about a rant? Or how about general commentary on it? Want to discuss different singing techniques? Here's the place to do it.

However, there are a few rules.

DON'T do these things:

1. If you've come to brag about your latest vocal achievements, don't. This isn't the place to go on and on about your latest lead role -- unless it's to inform others of how an audition went, if other members have asked -- or to talk excessively about your vocal range, or the latest oh-so-difficult song you tackled effortlessly. Basically, it boils down to this: don't talk about yourself unless you're either giving an opinion based in experience or asked to talk about yourself -- and even then, don't talk too much about yourself.

2. Ask all the questions you want, and the rest of us will answer to the best of our ability -- but DO NOT ask a question and then shoot down those who try to answer. I've seen this before on other forums -- someone will ask a question, but if the answer isn't what the inquirer wants to hear, the inquirer will bash those who have answered. This is not the place for that. Be more mature.

3. In the same vein, when talking about opinions expressed in this thread, do not bash anyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you are going to correct someone else, remember this rule of thumb: fact and tact. Present the facts to the best of your knowledge, and do some research beforehand; but do it in a friendly, non-offensive way. This is not the place to flame anyone, no matter how "wrong" they may be.

4. Do not make claims you can't back up. Do not lie about your achievements or experience. Hopefully, I won't need to explain this one again.

DO these things:

1. Ask questions! Nothing is off-limits. Ask the more experienced singers on the boards questions about technique -- there's enough of us here that this is possible. Ask about the ideal song to sing for an audition coming up. Ask about the history of singing, or what to look for in a voice teacher, or even questions about careers in singing.

2. Be respectful. Enough said in previous points.

3. Voice your opinions! As long as they are respectful of others, opinions/rants are encouraged.

4. Most of all, have fun.

On your mark! Get set! GO!

~ Zelda

And... the last post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerading rose View Post
So you try out for a specific role? Wow. That's totally different than any audition I've done....

Try looking at the ranges. You can find that in an ITW music book. You have a pretty mature voice so chances of you getting a lead are in your favor. However, when I was looking at voice parts and role sizes just now, I saw the only two true leads are for baritone and mezzo. So for a soprano (since they are all supporting roles) I would suggest you try out for Rapunzel, Cinderella, or Jack's mother since the ranges are made for the higher voice.

And then out of those, judging by the maturity of your vice I would say rapunzel or Jack's mom. Hope I helped!

Max | Pieter | Polaris | Phoenix | Protagonist | I love Sam <3
<b><i>Daroga</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 22 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 06-15-2009 at 06:19 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2] »

(Thanks J!)
Ohh, Specific role Auditions! They can work with your or against. Actually sometimes the director will get an easier range for students to not 'stress over' notes. (Done so much at my middle school), but that was Middle School your a 9th grader!! So Your voice, from what Chrissy says, is matured so no worries.
I would love to see you as a Rapunzel. We were to do that show, but I left and auditioned anyways. I always sang for Cinderella and Rapunzel.

My Update:
We get to learn how to sight read and explore different ranges and registers in our Applied Voice. You all have no idea how excited I am for this. I have never had real lessons that were well constructed. Oh Yay Mr. Becker!

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Kearyn/Excel | Gender: Wicked Witch | Age: 26 | Posts: 1,116 | Roses: 15
Old 06-15-2009 at 08:23 PM
Christine's Shadow
Ballet Mistress
House Patron
It's Phantom meets Hamlet- Phamlet!

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3] »

General Note for "Specific Role" auditions:

try to avoid songs that are blatantly for a specific character, and avoid singing songs from that specific show.

I found an excellent site for auditioning which can be found Here. It offers a list of songs and monologues that directors are sick of hearing in auditions. I admit, the list is daunting at first and makes you go, "well then what CAN I sing!?" but it makes you work for your songs. A hint when navigating the list: try older songs. No, not les mis and phantom from the 80's try OLDER. Pal Joey, Will Rogers' Follies, and if you're daring try SOME Rogers' and Hammerstein. Again, their stuff is well known, and you have to hunt a bit, but Hammerstein is also known for some of his other works with other partners, as well as his own solo work.

It's a lot of effort, but most director's appreciate it.

The specific links:
Overdone Audition Songs
Overdone Monologues

One last note for monologues: Whatever you do, do NOT try and look for them online. Though the internet can be a wonderful source, authors are often misrepresented, stolen from/not credited whatsoever online. Also chances are that if they are online, you can't find the play. If you're going to do a monologue, read the work it is from to understand the character. Libraries often hold several monologue and "audition speech" books in which they give a general idea of who the character is, the work the monologue is from and what has been going on to lead up to that point. One (absolutely) last thing that applies to everything: do something Age appropriate, unless you know that the character calls for a more mature audition, even then, you can often find age appropriate, mature monologues and songs.

good luck to anyone else with an audition coming up :)

|Vincent!|JHO|Evangaline|Christmas Onyx|<3|Green|Ember|
.::.
|Call me a little Crazy, but I think I like you.|<3 KT, Tian, et Moi|
<b>Christine's Shadow</b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b>Christine's Shadow</b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 22 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 06-15-2009 at 11:38 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4] »

That was very helpful, just like what my teacher has said DON'T SING SONGS that are WELL KNOWN. It was hard. I had looked up on the site for Jesus Christ Superstar and it was a shock that it wasn't there. Perhaps religious reason...I have my doubts. I don't know how to love him is a beautiful song.

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 06-16-2009 at 12:10 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5] »

Wow, that's for all the feedback guys. I'm not entirly set on what role I'm going for (maybe I'll try out for more than one) but I definitly have ideas formulating in my head now. Thanks again you hepful chickies you!
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2009 at 03:43 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6] »

Hey, your totally lucky to take an audition for specific roles! Those are sooo much fun because you get to read scenes that your character of choice is in. So when you get the part, you totally remember those lines on read back day.
Back to sing topics...
I'm going to have some training from two different trainers around here: a professor from a college for the arts in N.C. and a local teacher. Is it okay to take lessons from two different teachers? At school it's somewhat of a no-no, because you shouldn't mix the two techniques. I guess you just have to be in that specific class when your there and change gears. On your own time you get to see which works better...

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 07-06-2009 at 05:17 PM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7] »

Technically, you shouldn't take classes from two different teachers. Pick the one you think you will learn the most from or you are more compatable with. You'll end up mixing the two techniques and its confusing. It can be done, but its not smart and its really hard to do properly. Hope I helped!

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2009 at 07:01 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8] »

Alright because I know that techniques from different teachers should be kept to the same system, but what if they are relatively the same. It's just that one is available during the summer and the other during the school year.

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 07-07-2009 at 02:45 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9] »

Its okay to switch teachers, but don't keep them at the same time. Even still, if one teacher wants you to do one thing and the other one is working on something else with you, those things can clash and collide and confuse not only you, but also the teacher and your voice.

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 07-07-2009 at 04:43 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10] »

So latest updates with my singing/questions I have:

As I told Chrissy, I'm working on a lovely aria called O Mio Babbino Caro. It's beautiful and I've heard Maria Callas sing it many times but I'm finding that it's hard to hit the sort of random high notes without sliding. Obviously sliding is a huge no-no for opera so does anyone have any suggests?

Also, I've been having trouble raising my soft palate because of my asthma and allergies. Should I just not try to sing at risk of hurting myself?
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote