The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom The House on the Lake The Enchanted Violin
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Liz | Gender: Female | Age: 29 | Posts: 427 | Roses: 10
Old 12-31-2005 at 06:56 AM
Reza Khan
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [11]

Quote:
Originally posted by Why So Silent
....um, alma mater is your college/university, dear. So, the small jar is your school?
The Small Jar School. Phor Hard Knocks. Muahaha. I'd go there in a heartbeat. :D

PPP titles... :: ponders :: I would consult my book but my sister took it again!!!! :: phumes angrily :: I'll try to think oph some, but I don't know how I'll do without my book. Evil sister. :: mumbles incoherently ::

\"Sanity is calming, but insanity is much more interesting...\"
Reza Khan's Profile Send Private Message Reza Khan's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Maria | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 430 | Roses: 10
Old 01-06-2006 at 03:20 AM
phantomphreak
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [12]

Ok, everyone, I need a favor. I read Phantom and now I have to do a presentation on it. He's only given us one night so it doesn't have to be spectacular but I need help with all of the themes. Could you all post here for certain themes?

So far I have romance, horror, appearance compared to the souls inner beauty... Any other's?

phantomphreak's Profile Send Private Message phantomphreak's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: KT Mae | Gender: Hungry Chipmunk | Age: 28 | Posts: 4,322 | Roses: 25
Old 01-06-2006 at 03:34 AM
The Khanum
Ballet Mistress
House Patron
DAZLIOUS

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [13]

Hmmm... ::Strokes chin thoughtfully:: My report on Kay had to do with her writing style, not themes in the actual story itself.

How's about...
  • Redemption
  • Desire/Lust
  • Sacrifice
The last two are a bit iffy, but the first one basically sets the tone for the rest of the story.

Hope your report goes well! Way to spread the Kay love!

♦ so why did you bawl from the spell of some old holy song? ♦

some liar laughed as he composed, some liar i loved to control
<b>The Khanum</b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b>The Khanum</b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Liz | Gender: Female | Age: 29 | Posts: 427 | Roses: 10
Old 01-06-2006 at 04:37 AM
Reza Khan
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [14]

Redemption is excellent, KT. I would say desire is good too- it can encompass sexual desire and the desire to be accepted and live a normal liphe.

Sacriphice is stretching it a bit, but it could still work iph you need another one.

:: wants book back phrom sister ::

\"Sanity is calming, but insanity is much more interesting...\"
Reza Khan's Profile Send Private Message Reza Khan's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 31 | Posts: 24 | Roses: 10
Old 01-12-2006 at 11:31 AM
NEH
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [15]

*NEH raises hand and jumps up and down frantically*
Kay phan right here! Just thought i'd be lazy and jumpmon the most recent thread to claim my allegience...;)
I too love the small jar line/moment... hehe Erik, you cheeky devil!
Does anyone else agree that Kay's novel is perhaps the strongest example of support for the e/c ship? I just love the woman for her belief in the power of their love and the way she signifies this in the reflections is beeeeeeutiful!
aww...
I'm in Aus. and had to hunt down the book from a library to read.. do you think it could be due to be reprinted for a reasonable price worldwide soon??? I just thought mabye it would fit in with the 20th anniversary of the alw show...
NEH's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2006 at 02:29 AM
The Khanum
Ballet Mistress
House Patron
DAZLIOUS

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [16]

::Grabs Neh and stuphphs her into said box under the bed:: ... ::Kicks Kat:: Stop complaining. You should pheel priviledged to be included in my collection.

So, Maria...how'd your Kay project go? We can only assume you got a 100%, considering the subject matter, but how did it go otherwise?

<b>The Khanum</b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b>The Khanum</b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Kat/Leia/Brittany | Gender: Female tomboy. | Age: 29 | Posts: 2,916 | Roses: 85
Old 01-20-2006 at 03:05 AM
Why So Silent
Wandering Child
House Patron
Finally the Member of a Cult!

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [17]

Quote:
Originally posted by The Khanum
::Grabs Neh and stuphphs her into said box under the bed:: ... ::Kicks Kat:: Stop complaining. You should pheel priviledged to be included in my collection.
...Ow. ::mopes:: Fine. I'll be quite. ::pouts::

And to make this post has some substance, I have been unable to add Kay into any of my projects T_T Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough. ::cries::

Why So Silent's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 31 | Posts: 24 | Roses: 10
Old 01-20-2006 at 03:30 AM
NEH
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [18]

(*SCREAMS AND STRUGGLES FROM INSIDE BOX*) Am I in here because I'm liked or hated? Either way - feed me! Better still - give men an Erik plushie and that'll hold me over for a month or two.

[Can we actually have Susan Kay discussion here? - M. F.]
NEH's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Super Samness | Gender: Wonder Woman | Age: 27 | Posts: 3,913 | Roses: 50
Old 02-04-2006 at 04:45 AM
Erik
Opera Manager
House Patron
Killer Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [19]

Susan Kay. . .::snuggles book::

Oh my. I'm happy because I might get to tie my favourite book [yes, this one] in to my English assignments soon. I find it very easy to write about this book, because it just has so many themes and symbolisms and all that good stuff ^_^

Quote:
Originally posted by Why So Silent

And to make this post has some substance, I have been unable to add Kay into any of my projects T_T Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough. ::cries::
Yesh. ::also kicks Kat:: Work harder.

Anywho, what was your favourite part in the book, everyone?

<b><i>Erik</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2006 at 09:07 PM
The Khanum
Ballet Mistress
House Patron
DAZLIOUS

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [20]

This is really random, but I came across an Erik/Christine phanlisting, and one part of the site allowed for submissions for phavorite E/C moments in various versions of Phantom.

...You can imagine my absolute horror at finding there were absolutely no Kay moments to speak of!

So...my list. ::Clears throat::

Christine's Narration- 1881 (Erik & Christine: The Counterpoint.)

I love you, Erik, I love you in so many different ways...but my love is the love of a child afraid to grow up. Children run away and hide when they meet a situation they can't face, when they see the dream is over and a terrifying reality beckons instead. My love is just a shoddy, broken little toy that I'm too ashamed to own. Don't cry for my loss, Erik...I've never been worthy of your tears.

---
Erik's Narration- 1881 (Erik & Christine: The Counterpoint.)

I felt myself shrinking and shriveling before her clear, candid gaze. I was once more that small boy, twisting a npakin around my finger in absolute terror that my request would be denied. Such a little thing, really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

I've lived on this earth half a century without knowing what it is to be kissed...and I'll never know now.

It's not my birthday...and I haven't been good...

---
Erik's Narration- 1881 (Erik & Christine: The Counterpoint)

A moment longer she stood, like a terrified swimmer on the top of a dizzying cliff, contemplating a plunge that was utterly beyond her courage.

"Take me!" she whispered. "Teach me..."

Stunned, incredulous, scarcely able to believe in what I heard and saw, I lifted her face with trembling hands and kissed her bruised and bleeding forehead with all the uncertain timidity of a terrified boy.

And then suddenly I was no longer the teacher, but the pupil...

---
Erik's Narration- 1881 (Erik & Christine: The Counterpoint.)

It was finished then, of course...that kiss ended everything.

The moment I knew that she was mine--truly mine--I knew I could not kill that wretched boy.

---
Raoul's Narration- 1897

And somehow the harder she tried to make me happy, the more quietly certain I became that she had loved Erik far more than she ever loved me.