The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » The Lair of the Phantom » The House on the Lake » The Enchanted Violin
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Steve | Gender: Male | Age: 29 | Posts: 2,021 | Roses: 35
Old 05-19-2005 at 10:20 PM
The Phantom
Wandering Child
House Patron
Without you, I die.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [21] »

I'm a beginning novice when it comes to reading French and speaking it, just taking my first French class in high school this semester. I'd have to stick with the English versions if I wanted to get anything read properly, lol. When I'm fluent, I'll make sure to attempt to read Phantom in its original language to see the difference. :)

I hate it when decent books get butched by translators. Some famous books were translated by people who barely could read and write their own language, let alone translate. :(
The Phantom's Profile Send Private Message The Phantom's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Liz | Gender: Female | Age: 29 | Posts: 427 | Roses: 10
Old 06-06-2005 at 04:28 AM
Reza Khan
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [22] »

I would agree with DarkGlass. It might just be the translation, but the whole book was, for lack of a better word, boring. The characters were horribly stoic and shallow.

I read the book because I wanted to see what Andrew Lloyd Webber found so inspiring, but it left me thinking he was a little cracked.

I much prefer Kay's version of the story.

Elizabeth

\"Sanity is calming, but insanity is much more interesting...\"
Reza Khan's Profile Send Private Message Reza Khan's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 27 | Posts: 423 | Roses: 10
Old 06-10-2005 at 01:59 AM
Countess Cain
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [23] »

I'm rereading it now... I'm on chapter 16 or so.

The first time I read it, I was at school, and kept being distracted by people asking me questions. This time, however, I've had total peace and quiet, which really made a major difference.

I didn't like it the first time. In fact, I despised it. I'm not sure if this was the translation's fault or whatever, but I almost wanted to stop reading it. I respected it as the 'original', but that's about it.

But I decided to give it another chance a few weeks ago, buying another translation of it at Books-a-Million.

I'm fond of it now, to say the least. I noticed things I didn't the first time, that I now think should have been extremely obvious. Sure, it's certainly not the best book ever, but it's worthy of people's respect. It's way more enjoyable than 'The Phantom of Manhattan', that's for sure.

Formerly Sadako Kurosawa!
Countess Cain's Profile Send Private Message Countess Cain's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Zelda/Yvette/Padme | Gender: female | Age: 28 | Posts: 2,274 | Roses: 10
Old 06-10-2005 at 07:35 PM
Christine Daaé
Wandering Child
House Patron
Angel of Music

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [24] »

I adore the original. I've read all the different translations except Bair. See how obsessive I am?

Let's see, the original translation I liked, but he left so much out! Bair and Wolf are more complete, but Lofficier is the best of all. Unfortunately, the Lofficiers tried to change "grasshopper" to "frog" concerning the "boxes of life and death". I'm a purist, so . . . but I loved it the best anyway.

~ Zelda de le Fantôme

Christine Daaé's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Kat/Leia/Brittany | Gender: Female tomboy. | Age: 29 | Posts: 2,916 | Roses: 85
Old 06-11-2005 at 03:54 AM
Why So Silent
Wandering Child
House Patron
Finally the Member of a Cult!

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [25] »

I actually found the book (beats me by what translator) in my grandfather's library a few days after seeing the movie. I was extatic to say the least, so it shouldn't be a surprise that I finished it the next day.

I think Leroux is actually quite a good writer, maybe its my edition, but many parts of it made me love it: the fact that he wrote it as if he were a reporter, like it really happened (now wouldn't that be cool?) The fact that Erik doesn't come out that much didn't really bother me, seeing as it was in Raoul's point of view (more or less) and it wouldn't have actually said anything "good" about the Phantom. I liked it so much that I was actually kinda mad about the fact that ALW changed/left out some parts, but ::sigh:: I guess you're kinda limited when you're acting it out on stage.

Oh, I just checked my edition, it was translated by Bair. Take that Zelda :P just kidding. Its the only edition I've read. Anyway, I loved the book, I should read it again...oh, and I've yet to read Kay's novel, though I'm looking for the book. I read in some other post that it was out of print? But I went on borders.com and they had it for order, so I'm not sure if I misunderstood or what.
Toodles
Why So Silent

Why So Silent's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: KT Mae | Gender: Hungry Chipmunk | Age: 28 | Posts: 4,322 | Roses: 25
Old 06-11-2005 at 05:41 PM
The Khanum
Ballet Mistress
House Patron
» DAZLIOUS «

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [26] »

Yeah, I really should read it again, too...I fear I've only done so twice, and I find it that the more you read a book, the more you uncover. For example, I've read Kay's Phantom about thirty times, and each time I come up with a subplot or a hidden symbol or a quote that I missed while reading before.

I guess I should go snatch Leroux from my cousin once more... ::Scurries away::

~Erik is my Hero

♦ so why did you bawl from the spell of some old holy song? ♦

some liar laughed as he composed, some liar i loved to control
<b>The Khanum</b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b>The Khanum</b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 27 | Posts: 423 | Roses: 10
Old 06-11-2005 at 10:14 PM
Countess Cain
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [27] »

I feel kind of ignorant asking this question... But who was the translator for the Signet Classics version? I've seen that one and Bair's, but the name for the other is just coming up a blank...

Formerly Sadako Kurosawa!
Countess Cain's Profile Send Private Message Countess Cain's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Lizzie | Gender: W-O-M-A-N | Age: 28 | Posts: 2,248 | Roses: 0
Old 06-12-2005 at 12:33 AM
Night feather
Wandering Child
Puppet Master

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [28] »

I thought Gaston Leroux's book was okay, but Kay's was ten times better.

Leroux's novel took a long time to get going and get interesting, there were a lot of the tedious long criminal searching things, okay it's natural since it is a crime book.

But come on man, the character's were thin, you don't get far enough insight in Erik to understand why he act's like he does..

Some aspexts of the book are good, but other parts are very boring, and Raoul is absoloutely unberably pure hearted...

Leroux was limited because of the genre he wrote in, Kay had the oportunity to explore the characters, and they becoem a lot more interesting and captivating as you go into depths with them..

I don't liek Leroux's Erik, I hardly felt any pity for him..

Overall it was good, but I'd much rather read Susan Kay's...

Repress And Restrain. Steal The Pressure And The Pain

Wash The Blood Off Your Hands. This Time She Won't Understand
Night feather's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Kat/Leia/Brittany | Gender: Female tomboy. | Age: 29 | Posts: 2,916 | Roses: 85
Old 06-12-2005 at 03:47 AM
Why So Silent
Wandering Child
House Patron
Finally the Member of a Cult!

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [29] »

Quote:
Originally posted by Night feather
I don't liek Leroux's Erik, I hardly felt any pity for him..
Not to disagree, but I think the whole point in Leroux's book was to not feel pity for the Phantom, just to kinda understand the man behind the mask.

Besides, I don't think Erik would like you to pity him :D Sorry, I haven't even read Kay's novel and I'm defending Leroux. ::shrug::

Toodles
Why So Silent

Why So Silent's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Lizzie | Gender: W-O-M-A-N | Age: 28 | Posts: 2,248 | Roses: 0
Old 06-12-2005 at 11:06 AM
Night feather
Wandering Child
Puppet Master

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [30] »

Well you are right about that.... Erik hates pity....

But I didn't understand the man behind the mask, he simply acted like nothing more than a lunatic...

I've read both novel's and I liked Kay's SO much more, she's a far more talented writer than Leroux was...

Repress And Restrain. Steal The Pressure And The Pain

Wash The Blood Off Your Hands. This Time She Won't Understand
Night feather's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote