The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » The Lair of the Phantom » The House on the Lake » The Enchanted Violin
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: KT Mae | Gender: Hungry Chipmunk | Age: 28 | Posts: 4,322 | Roses: 25
Old 05-27-2005 at 04:16 PM
The Khanum
Ballet Mistress
House Patron
» DAZLIOUS «

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
The Phantom of Manhattan  Post [1] »

Out of sheer curiosity, I ordered this book from Borders. It's due to arrive in less than a week. I've heard mixed reviews about it, some saying they don't even count it as a Phantom story, while others say it's very interesting and closely matching to the original descriptions. Has anybody read it? And without giving away any of the plot, could you tell me if it was worth reading?

~Erik is my Hero

♦ so why did you bawl from the spell of some old holy song? ♦

some liar laughed as he composed, some liar i loved to control
<b>The Khanum</b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b>The Khanum</b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 27 | Posts: 423 | Roses: 10
Old 05-27-2005 at 04:24 PM
Countess Cain
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2] »

It sucks. Your eyes will bleed profusely once you read it, believe me.

Here's an example of the crappiness:

Erik wears a clown mask.

+__+

Formerly Sadako Kurosawa!
Countess Cain's Profile Send Private Message Countess Cain's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2005 at 04:26 PM
The Khanum
Ballet Mistress
House Patron
» DAZLIOUS «

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3] »

::Blinks:: A clown mask?

Why do I have the feeling I just wasted $6.50...?

~Erik is my Hero

<b>The Khanum</b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b>The Khanum</b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2005 at 04:02 PM
The Khanum
Ballet Mistress
House Patron
» DAZLIOUS «

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4] »

I finished this book a little while ago, and my reactions are all mixed up and muddled and confused in their own unwillingness to comprehend.

There were parts that I despised...TRULY despised...and yet others that I found strangely intriguing. But most of that had to do with things that had nothing to do with either Erik or Christine. For example, I liked the Erik's opera itself...and the party afterword. I found it so amusing that the reporter happened to meet all those eventually-famous poeple like FDR and that Russian musician (drawing a blank on the name)...

But I hated- HATED!- the relationship between Erik and Christine. I mean, WTF?? She didn't love him? I mean, HELLO? And they had a kid...even though she didn't love him? I'm sorry, but...no. Just...no.

So if it weren't a Phantom story, I would have liked it. But because it is...no.

~Erik is my Hero

Name: Kristi Lu | Gender: Girl | Posts: 756 | Roses: 22
Old 06-09-2005 at 09:13 PM
Masked Shadows
Wandering Child
House Patron
.Always.Confused.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5] »

I was reading it but I stopped when I got Susan Kay's Phantom. I was going to keep reading but I've been putting it off.

Now, I see, If I wear a mask I can fool the world.

Masked Shadows's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Zelda/Yvette/Padme | Gender: female | Age: 28 | Posts: 2,274 | Roses: 10
Old 06-09-2005 at 09:40 PM
Christine Daaé
Wandering Child
House Patron
Angel of Music

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6] »

Yes, I've heard it's pretty awful. Apparently, according to the author, Gaston Leroux didn't get it "right" when he said that Erik died. What the hell? And Andrew Lloyd Webber even backed this story up! I don't get it. I just don't get it.

~ Zelda de le Fantôme

Christine Daaé's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2005 at 11:13 PM
The Khanum
Ballet Mistress
House Patron
» DAZLIOUS «

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7] »

Quote:
Originally posted by Zelda de le Fantome
Yes, I've heard it's pretty awful. Apparently, according to the author, Gaston Leroux didn't get it "right" when he said that Erik died. What the hell? And Andrew Lloyd Webber even backed this story up! I don't get it. I just don't get it.

~ Zelda de le Fantôme
Frederick Forsyth based his book off of ALW's play, I believe. He didn't even acknowledge some of the concepts discussed in Leroux's novel. There was no Persian, and the description of Erik's mask sounded identical to the one used in the play.

In the author's note at the very beginning, Forsyth came up with a bunch of reasons why ALW's version was superior to Leroux's, lightly insulting Leroux's technique and style in depicting the story. I must say, I do prefer ALW to Leroux, but I have due respect towards Leroux, being he is the original author and everything.

I don't think Forsyth correctly portrayed Erik and Christine's relationship...his description was more similar to the Lon Chaney version than either ALW or Leroux. And Erik wasn't really...Erik in POM. He gave up way too easy, was way too obsessed with money, and had way too little time spent narrating in the book itself. The novel was comprised of other people (most of whom the reader has never heard of) telling the story of Erik, and therefore it lacked that necessary personal quality seen in ALW, Leroux, and most particularly, Kay.

~Erik is my Hero

Name: | Gender: | Age: 27 | Posts: 423 | Roses: 10
Old 06-09-2005 at 11:37 PM
Countess Cain
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8] »

Quote:
Originally posted by Zelda de le Fantome

~ Zelda de le Fantôme
I always thought that was pretty stupid. I mean, how would the original creator get it 'wrong'? I actually thought it was a good ending myself... Very final.

For some reason, I think ALW backed it up because it was supporting his musical. So... Guess he really didn't put too much thought into helping it.

Formerly Sadako Kurosawa!
Countess Cain's Profile Send Private Message Countess Cain's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 32 | Posts: 27 | Roses: 10
Old 07-09-2005 at 02:12 AM
Mouette
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9] »

I hated that book. It wasn't even Erik, you know? That was what I adored about Kay's version--her Erik was recognizably my dear boy from Leroux's and ALW's work. Of course, since I read POM and Phantom in the same week, POM suffered a great deal from comparison. It really bothered me that, as others have said, the author began his writing by dismissing Leroux's work. That just . . . isn't nice. Sequels, if they expect to be successful, cannot look at the original and say "My goodness, that was awful." If you thought it was that bad, why are you writing a sequel to it?! Grrr.

\"You try my patience!\"

Mouette's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Posts: 25 | Roses: 10
Old 08-13-2005 at 06:33 AM
Eriks_Angel
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10] »

I thought it was terrible. Right from the very start when Forsythe says that Leroux was wrong, and the characters were way off. The ending wasnt too bad, but it was still a terrible book overall.
Eriks_Angel's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote