The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » Grand Stage Productions » The Paris Opera House » Le Moulin Rouge
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 12-13-2010 at 06:19 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [11] »

Ashton Greene

“What? Christ, no. I’ve been here a while now.”

Oddly, that offered Ashton a bit of relief, a bit of warm relaxation in the cold air. It meant her father wasn’t spying on her and she was free to have whatever job she wanted until she and Damien were officially married.

That thought frightened her.

So she tucked it back into the deepest crevice of her mind and buried it deep until it was needed to resurface again.

“Natalie and I are…”

Estranged. I know. Damien told me. Ashton remembered Damien calling her, telling her about the fight. She didn’t know what to do. She felt so bad. Damien couldn’t go to his parents about it. So he resorted to informing his fiancé. His fiancé he cared very little for. But she listened to him and felt for Lucian and Natalie as well as for Damien. Lucian didn’t need to explain anything. She understood the basics. Not the whole picture, but the necessities.

“That doesn’t matter. What brings you to Paris?”

What was she going to say? I chair dance for big bucks? No. That wouldn’t do. How about I’m avoiding marriage? No. That would hurt his feelings. What about lying to my father. No! He’d tell him, right?

“I’m going to school here. I figured if I’m going to settle down, Damien and I should both work so we can give our children the most secure life we can.”

There. That sounded believable, right? She didn’t even bother asking Lucian. She didn’t know details, but she was fairly certain it had something to do with the duet amongst some other, hidden things. She didn’t want to ask. She didn’t want to pry. With some difficulty, she held her tongue.

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Cassie | Gender: Señorita | Posts: 4,083 | Roses: 185
Old 12-13-2010 at 06:37 AM
Mrs Nadir Khan
Wandering Child
House Patron
Slave to my Inspiration

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [12] »

Lucian Michaud

He hoped she hadn’t picked up on the bit about Natalie. It was embarrassing, really, to admit to being a cuckolded husband, who ran away from home the first time he bothered to let even his eyes stray. Besides, he suspected someone had told her anyhow. Damien, Natalie... If Natalie had told her, there was no doubt in Lucian’s mind that Ashton hated him. Still, he’d plough through and make pleasant conversation until he knew for sure.

“I’m going to school here. I figured if I’m going to settle down, Damien and I should both work so we can give our children the most secure life we can.”

Children? Lucian felt his stomach knot up and he wanted to grip a wall or something to brace himself. He was going to be a grandfather, then? He should have known. Damien was too quiet. Ashton was too upset. The marriage was coming together too quickly. Lucian swallowed and a strange, shocked half-smile curved his lips.

“How… wonderful. Congratulations.”

Honestly, he’d expected Damien to tell him. Wishful thinking, maybe, that his own son would tell him if he was going to be a grandfather. Lucian shut his eyes to keep himself from reeling. And behind his eyelids, he saw Ashton’s “Santa Baby” routine. Wait just one second…

“And yet,” he said, eyes opening. “You’re working at the Moulin Rouge.”

Something just didn’t add up. Ashton was wealthy enough to go to school without such a… questionable night job. And if she was expecting, how long would she be working here before the club owner turned her onto the streets? The attraction Lucian felt for Ashton didn’t matter there, but the health and wellbeing of his first born grandchild would.

“An interesting choice for someone looking to settle down.”

Lucian now found himself wishing that he was wrong. He wasn’t ready to be a grandfather. Damien and Ashton weren’t ready to be parents. And the Moulin Rouge didn’t have a daycare center. Something else had to be going on. But what… He couldn’t be sure.
Mrs Nadir Khan's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2010 at 07:00 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [13] »

Ashton Greene

Ashton watch in rapt confusion as Lucian’s face contorted into an almost sea-sick look. She watched as his sea-sick green face became a smile. It was a forced smile, but a smile none the less. It was better than the unknown illness.

“How… wonderful. Congratulations.”

Ashton arched an eyebrow. On going to school? For getting in? You sound like my father. Never thinking I can actually get in somewhere without money. “Thank… you?” It was a forced expression of gratitude. It was a confused expression of gratitude. She could get into school. She was intelligent. She remembered her father, being quoted in several magazines, several papers and news programmes, that “yes, it’s true [his] youngest daughter [was] going to school. Yes. Falmouth. Fortunately, it’s not too terribly expensive, and with the right amount, they’ll accept anyone. Even Ashton.” Ashton felt her stomach knot over itself. She felt it tighten and coil like a venomous snake.

“And yet, you’re working at the Moulin Rouge.”

Ashton shrugged. Was it that big of a deal? She wasn’t trash just because she did chair dances. She was a classically trained pianist. She was a classically trained ballet dancer. She was a singer. The Rouge was a job. A job that allowed her to perform daily. It was eye opening, and Lucian was judging her. Lucian Michaud, the father of her fiancée, the man she almost kissed, the man she spend the past few moths laughing with, talking with and getting to know was judging her. She couldn’t get a break with men, it seemed.

“An interesting choice for someone looking to settle down.”

Ashton’s already arched eyebrow flew even high up her forehead. “Who said I was looking to settle down? I thought I made it perfectly clear to you where I stood on my engagement to Damien. It’s purely political. I’m only marrying him for one reason, and one reason only. I thought I explained this to you.” She was forcing civility in her voice. She had to. Otherwise, she’d be yelling and making a scene in the middle of the night, in the middle of the street.

masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2010 at 07:23 AM
Mrs Nadir Khan
Wandering Child
House Patron
Slave to my Inspiration

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [14] »

Lucian Michaud

Ashton looked angry and instantly, Lucian knew he’d done something wrong. He tried not to flinch, as though she was going to throw something at him. Reflex, Lucian supposed from his last fight with Natalie, while he was packing. Instead of flinching, he settled for a sharp inhale and a set jaw.

“Who said I was looking to settle down? I thought I made it perfectly clear to you where I stood on my engagement to Damien. It’s purely political. I’m only marrying him for one reason, and one reason only. I thought I explained this to you.”

He’s the only reason I married you, Natalie’s voice echoed in Lucian’s head. Lucian closed his eyes and shook his head. Ashton was marrying Damien to continue with the arts. He knew that. But suddenly, he imagined Damien at his age, standing somewhere with Ashton and being told that. The only reason I married you was for your money. She may not have been pregnant, but that was just as bad.

“You did,” he said softly, eyes opening. “But have you told Damien why you’re marrying him?”

Old 12-13-2010 at 07:45 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [15] »

Ashton Greene

“You did,” he said softly, eyes opening. “But have you told Damien why you’re marrying him?”

“Oh, he knows!” Ashton said, still hurt by Lucian’s innocent enough words. “I made it perfectly clear to him why I was marrying him, and he paid me the same courtesy. No bull****. No hold bard. We’ve been honest from day one. Affectionate? No. Which means,” Ashton took a step or so closer so she could drop her voice. “We haven’t been intimate either. I’ve been here for a while, Lucian, and I don’t know how long Damien’s penis is, but I highly doubt it can reach across the British Channel to me.” She was sarcastic, but somehow, serious. “So don’t worry. You won’t be a grandfather, probably ever.” She finished it with a smile that could be taken as bitter or happy. Even Ashton didn’t know how to take it.

She took a few steps back, returning to her original spot. “So why the Rouge if not to see me?” She asked. Why would it be to see her? He hadn’t known that she was in France in the first place, right? She was his son’s fiancé, and, frankly, nothing too special. Usually, she would make sarcastic banter about drowning his sorrows in alcohol, sweat and other such bodily liquids. But now was not appropriate. Even Ashton recognized that.

Old 12-13-2010 at 08:09 AM
Mrs Nadir Khan
Wandering Child
House Patron
Slave to my Inspiration

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [16] »

Lucian Michaud

“Oh, he knows!”Ashton snapped.

Lucian’s aqua eyes widened. And Damien was just… accepting it? Like father, like son, he guessed.

“I made it perfectly clear to him why I was marrying him, and he paid me the same courtesy. No bull****. No hold bard. We’ve been honest from day one.”

Again, a surprise. The impression he’d gotten from both Damien and Ashton was that they were anything but close. Even simple, human honesty seemed to be asking too much. Talking certainly was too much. Lucian’s mouth opened to ask, but Ashton did it for him.

“Affectionate? No. Which means,” she stepped closer to Lucian and dipped her voice low. “We haven’t been intimate either. I’ve been here for a while, Lucian, and I don’t know how long Damien’s penis is, but I highly doubt it can reach across the British Channel to me.”

Despite himself, Lucian chuckled. Was his concern so evident? He hadn’t meant to come off as accusatory. And even though Lucian wanted to think about Damien’s sex life as much as Damien wanted to think of Lucian’s, there was something just… sickly funny about the way Ashton put it.

“So don’t worry. You won’t be a grandfather, probably ever.”

Lucian didn’t know how he was supposed to feel about that. He had always envisioned having grandchildren someday. He didn’t have a set number or gender of what he hoped for, but grandchildren had always been in the picture since the idea of Damien getting married entered the equation. He nodded, a little unsure if Ashton meant that seriously. If she was as troubled by that concept as Lucian was. A couple that didn’t love each other enough for intimacy was just… sad. Fleetingly, an image of Natalie’s face when Lucian went to kiss her two weeks ago surfaced. She’d looked at him in shocked horror, as if she’d been expecting someone else. Truthfully, she probably had. How could Lucian wish that on Damien and Ashton? He couldn’t. His lips parted to again reiterate the need for Ashton and Damien to reconsider the whole thing, but Ashton silenced him.

“So why the Rouge if not to see me?”

It must have seemed an odd choice. Lucian, a self-proclaimed opera fan, in a less-reputable venue was probably the last thing Ashton would have expected. He ran both hands through his cropped, brown hair with a sigh.

“Today is Natalie and my anniversary,” he said after what felt like an aeon. His voice cracked. “Twenty-four years.”

If she bothered with the math, Ashton could easily have figured out that Damien was either conceived out of wedlock or miraculously premature. For a long while, Lucian thought nothing of that fact, but after Natalie told him that was the only reason she married him, that little fact shook Lucian to his core.

“I didn’t want to be alone in my hotel room, calling her like some bleeding-heart romantic.”

Old 12-13-2010 at 08:35 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [17] »

Ashton Greene

Ashton listened to Lucian and found her self amazed. Twenty-four years of marriage. She wasn’t even that old yet. On another day, she would wish him Happy Anniversary. But she was afraid that saying so would send him into a nostalgic, suicidal state. So for now, she kept her mouth zipped about the matter. “I see,” she said in a fake understanding voice, “so you did the unexpected! You came to see a whole lot of us shake our money-makers.”

She shrugged. “I don’t blame you. Cheap drinks, open seating, not smoke free. The only thing missing is mob activity.” Yes. This was sarcasm. She wasn’t ashamed of him seeing her in that skimpy Santa suit dancing on a chair as if it was an exotic male dancer. If she was, she’d have to be fair and be ashamed of everyone else seeing her. You never know who will be out in the audience. But really, the Moulin Rouge was actually a very good place nowadays. Plus, they were good at what they did. At least she was good, and she believed that they were worth the ticket money and the tips.

“Feel free to stop by anytime. I’m sure I’ll be there. You know, say hello, leave a tip or five. I have to pay for my classes somehow.” She said, a comfortable distance away from him.

Haha. Pay for my classes? What classes? she held back a smirk. She wasn’t taking any classes. But Lucian didn’t need to know that. Not now, anyways. Maybe later when she needed help writing letters to her father to keep him updated.

Old 12-13-2010 at 08:59 AM
Mrs Nadir Khan
Wandering Child
House Patron
Slave to my Inspiration

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [18] »

Lucian Michaud

She listened as he explained. That was something. Lucian felt a ripple of gratitude towards her. He wasn’t performing a monologue for her, but two or three sentences had become monologues in the Michaud household as of late. It felt odd getting in a complete thought without being cut off or feeling compelled to hush.

“I see,” she said in a sympathetic voice when Lucian was done. “so you did the unexpected! You came to see a whole lot of us shake our money-makers.”

Oh, God. You walked straight into that one.

Lucian’s gratitude became self-disgust. He wouldn’t tell her, but Ashton was at least in part, right. Was it so wrong for a lonely man to look, if he wasn’t going to touch? It had been years since he and Natalie were intimate in the basest sense of the word. Lucian could barely remember the last time they’d made love, let alone kissed. Who could fault him for coming to the Moulin Rouge? But, with a simple shrug, Ashton showed that it wasn’t judging. It was just a fact.

“I don’t blame you. Cheap drinks, open seating, not smoke free. The only thing missing is mob activity.”

Her voice was laced with that light sarcasm again. She’d managed to make him smile with it a few times before and now, in spite of himself, Lucian smiled. Sarcastic though she may have been, the place she described was a bachelor’s haven. And though Lucian wasn’t quite a bachelor, he was as good as now.

“Feel free to stop by anytime. I’m sure I’ll be there. You know, say hello, leave a tip or five. I have to pay for my classes somehow.”

Lucian appreciated the invitation; it was one he might take up on. But something about that sentence struck an odd chord in him.

“Your father isn’t paying for your classes?” he asked with a frown. “I mean, I gathered he wasn’t the most supportive parent, but does he do anything other than drink, sleep, and broker marriages?”

Lucian paid for Damien’s schooling. No expectation of repayment. His happiness would be enough. That’s what being a parent was about. Apparently, no one gave that memo to Mr. Greene. Lucian sighed.

“How are classes, then?” he asked. “What are you studying?”

Old 12-14-2010 at 03:51 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [19] »

Ashton Greene

“Your father isn’t paying for your classes? I mean, I gathered he wasn’t the most supportive parent, but does he do anything other than drink, sleep, and broker marriages?”

Ashton rolled her yes, but laughed anyways. Lucian had a point. Her father, when it was all boiled down, was really a waste of a person. When he wasn’t sleeping, he was working and raking in money. When he wasn’t drinking, he was yelling and controlling lives (particularly Ashton’s) until it was time for him to sleep again.

Really, if Ashton’s mother was still alive, the controlling lives and drinking bits would be out of the picture. But even still, if Ashton’s mother was still alive, her father would still be a waste of a person—just less of a waste.

“How are classes, then? What are you studying?”

Ashton almost froze. She wasn’t studying. She wasn’t going to school. The only thing she studied was choreography, sheet music, and blocking. She never planned on lying to Lucian. She never wanted to. But she found the necessity. He could tell her father. He could tell Damien. He could put her in classes himself.

“What am I studying?” she repeated the question with a gulp. She thought. She thought hard. Nothing came to mind. “Political Science,” she spat out after what felt like an eternity.

”Sh*t she told herself. This is Lucian Michaud. The politician. Political Science is right up his alley.

“You said I’d be good at it once, remember?” She pointed out, bringing up that night she and Damien had shared a room, and out of boredom and insomnia texted Lucian.

But something confused Ashton. If this lie was going to protect her, why did she feel so bad?

Old 12-14-2010 at 06:47 AM
Mrs Nadir Khan
Wandering Child
House Patron
Slave to my Inspiration

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [20] »

Lucian Michaud

Paris. She was studying in Paris of all places! What could Ashton get here that she couldn’t have back in England? Lucian supposed he should be irritated that she wasn’t working on her relationship with Damien. He bit back any questions about that.

“What am I studying?” she echoed, evidently surprised by his question. Lucian couldn’t imagine why. It was logical enough to ask. “Political Science,”

Lucian’s face brightened for a split second. Damien had never been persuaded to follow in Lucian’s career footsteps; Lucian would never insist on it. But that Ashton was doing what Lucian had years ago sent an odd wave of camaraderie—and was that pride?—through him.

“You said I’d be good at it once, remember?”

Lucian’s features darkened for a moment as he remembered what the circumstance had been. He’d been lying awake in the extra bedroom, listening to the sounds of Natalie and her lover in the master suite. He’d never told Ashton why he’d been awake that night; he never planned to. But he vaguely remembered telling her that her skills at flattery made politics a viable career choice. He smiled. It was good to know something he’d said left a positive impression.

“You most certainly will be,” he said in a murmured appreciation. “If you need any help with your studies, let me know. I’d be glad to tutor you.”