The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » Beyond the Paris Opera » The Masked Ball » The Final Threshold » Literary Genius
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: MystMoonstruck aka Cyn | Gender: REDHEAD! | Posts: 5,059 | Roses: 235
Old 03-14-2014 at 04:20 AM
Wandering Child
House Patron
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [11] »

Yes, we're mainly Irish in our family, both sides, with some Native American (Illini tribe) mixed in. That doesn't surprise me about ADHD because the Irish get an interesting mix: a tendency toward melancholy; a dread of death, including not speaking of it; a love of language and the uses of it; spinal problems; a madness for music; a love of writing~poetry and fiction; and a high rate of ADHD. One book I read theorized that the multitude of ADHDers in America might be from the influx of Irish. Who knows? That might be it. After I was diagnosed with it, I read a lot about it and realized that my father definitely was ADHD, with emphasis on the physical hyperactivity, the same as one of my first cousins, who had a terrible time in school because he "acted out". Many in our family show signs of it. Also, the way we react to different drugs nails such a diagnosis; for example, Librium and Valium have opposite reactions to what they should do.

All of my family are very proud of their Irish origins. Some on each side came here relatively recently, a number of them as "bound children", who paid for their passage by serving as slaves for many years; they're also called "bond slaves". A brother and sister were parted when they were about 12-13 and didn't reunite till they were in their 60s. She was lucky to have served a kind family, but he had had terrible experiences, very abusive.

Our family get-togethers are like that, too, with multiple conversations going. We seem to follow everything! My mom has more trouble because her hearing is going, and she really misses not catching everything. I'm a "yakker", so it's tough not to, knowing she can't hear much of what I'm saying.

Mom and I can do that: recall which page (approximately) we can find something on or if it's on the left or right side, about one-third down, etc. It's not quite eidetic aka photographic memory, but we come close at times. In Sunday School, we used to have Bible Hunt. We'd hold the Bible open on top of our heads, a finger to part Old and New Testament. Then, they'd give us a verse, and we'd race to find it. When Mom was the teacher, she knew that I'd find it first. She could find it just as fast. I do that with my film journals a lot: remembering approximate locations.

I'm a super proofreader especially because I could remember discrepancies in copy. I'd say, "You have it this way on page 20, but it's this way on page 5." It always impressed the clients and my co-workers. They said, "That's because you can read fast." I'd say, "Reading fast has nothing to do with finding errors. They're totally different skills." I know what you mean about buzzing through material then slowing down or even backing up. Those are signs of an effective reader. We might enjoy reading more because we move through the material, almost like a movie playing out. When I was teaching, the slow readers were the ones frustrated with learning and even becoming anti-reading, claiming it was boring. I was so sad when I couldn't teach some to pick up speed. For some, it's impossible. My sister loved to read, but she had mild dyslexia and really had to struggle at times; I showed her that trick of cutting a rectangle out of a piece of paper and framing words as she read. She did get much better later. I have learning disabilities, too, but I learned to deal with them.

As for "dyslexic" typing, sometimes I have a lot of trouble, but it's mainly because of my vision. I started out very nearsighted. Now, my near vision is going, too! I also have a cataract in my left eye. Between that and trouble with my hands (fibromyalgia and arthritis), I am very fumble-fingered though I used to be a speedy, very accurate typist. Thank goodness for places that let you edit!

I still can't recall a book I gave up on, but I'll bet I'd be hard-pressed to finish "Twilight". I managed to watch the first movie when I decided to treat it like a comedy, which it certainly seems to be!

While I'll read a book through, I admit to sometimes bailing out of a movie. Also, when I find favorite books, I love rereading them when I know I should be reading something new. I'm the same with movies: rewatching when I should watch something new. Maybe it's left over from when we were children and enjoyed familiarity.

Oh! I just noticed what you said about flipping letters! Fibromyalgia has "swimming print", when your eyes can't focus. It really looks like the type is moving on the page. Ooh! I hope that's more ADHD for you except I do know that fibro often is linked with the other disorder. The ER physician who finally diagnosed me came up with CFIDS, fibromyalgia and ADHD. He said that his wife also had those. He theorized that there could be a link between fibro/ADHD; either the brain's hyperactivity causes the nerve/muscle activity of vice versa. Sometimes when I first start with my laptop, I can't seem to make sense of the keys and have trouble placing my fingers; or, I go blank on where certain keys are.

Maybe we do batter our brains, not letting them rest enough. That's what Mom says of me. She says, "You don't sit quietly." It's true: I have difficulty with silence, but that could be because of tinnitus. At night, I have to have a sound conditioner AND a fan going.

Gee! I hope some of what I wrote is on-topic! I think it should be. We do focus a lot on reading and reading patterns.

MystMoonstruck's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: EAAB | Gender: Ghostly Lady Spirit | Posts: 79 | Roses: 10
Old 03-20-2014 at 11:04 PM
Wandering Child
Secret Keeper of the Fifth Cellar

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [12] »

Wow MystMoonstruck! You're quite a mixture! And what a history too.

I'm first generation American born Irish on my mother's side, she went on vacation to the US and met my father, who's Italian! I think I'm related in some way to half the Italians in California and Nevada. LOL! However,as my mother points out, the Irish are not really a pure race, Ireland has been invaded so many times through the centuries, the Irish are a mixture of everything from the Celts, Danes, to the Normans, the Saxons and yes, they've finally proved the Romans did end up in ancient Dublin. Not mention the more recent invasions and immigrants! France, Spain, England, etc. I know our family is a mix of French and Spanish.

RE ADHA, there must be something to that, most of my Irish family cannot sit still for one minute, must have some project to do or something to keep busy. Somehow, it's not a "lack" of attention, but a mind that has multiple things of interest at hand. If it's "boring" or of no interest or use, we tend to forget it quickly, shut it out, or move on as we'd rather be at other things. I think it's "selective attention"! We all tend to "act out" or "shut out" school because they kept shoving stuff at us that was of little or no interest to us, and the teachers were too slow! I was always considered "slow" when I was little, but I just wasn't paying attention to what "they" wanted me to learn. LOL! One of those hopeless dreamers.

My mom and uncle were always playing hooky, couldn't be bothered with the slow tripe served in the standardized school system, super computers that need to be fed with constant imput! Another uncle is an outright genius, he went through school, got straight As in all subjects, including Latin, and completed his exams through Gaelic! One of my cousins, hyperactive mind, bacame student of the year at her university. Wish I was that brilliant.

You're right too about medications, a member of my family has to watch it, things tend to not work or do the opposite of what they're supposed to do.

So sorry to hear of your many physical challenges, but you keep trucking right along!

RE: reading patterns, wow, that's impressive! Yes, I think we do batter our brains! LOL! However, I can sit quietly, although I do have tinnitus too. What I find difficult is to keep my mind still!I almost dread it when it's time to work on anotherbook, I work in my sleep, cannot keep the mind still for one minute! Used to study for exams in my sleep too.

I don't think what happened to me was "swimming" letters as with Fibromyalgia, the letters had flipped upside down for a brief second before righting themslves. It hasn't happened since. Weird. Although I do tend to say thing backwards on occasion, and sometimes I write ideas backwards the point of surreal incoherence, which then all have to be straightened out during an editing process, reading everything back slowly to the point of insanity to make sure it's all right. And I'm a writer? LOL! I'm also hard of hearing, and I chose to study music in college. Beethoven the Second wannabe ....LOL!

Giving up on movies: yep, been there, have had to turn the channel when something stupid (or disgusting) comes on. However, we end up watching a lot of the stupid stuff to the end lately since it's a rare thing to get an English program on in Portugal. Thankfully, they don't dub everything, just subtitle it, so at least I've gained reading skills in Portuguese! However, I love rewatching the old classics too! They never grow old, like classic books.

Err, well, maybe we're slightly off top at this point, but it's so good to have chats on the board, I guess the moderators wouldn't mind a little off-topic chatter every now and again! LOL!

(Please forgive the typos...these 'silent' keyboards don't help either, they don't register the key strokes as well, and I'm too lazy to proofread at the moment!)

EAAB's Profile Send Private Message EAAB's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote