The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera Beyond the Paris Opera The Masked Ball The Final Threshold Literary Genius
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Lia | Gender: Female | Age: 24 | Posts: 703 | Roses: 74
Old 05-18-2008 at 03:01 AM
Wandering Child
S.S. Defense Squad

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [21]

Agrred. Dracula was one of the best I've read in the classics (Is it considered a clasic??) and I just adored it. I've read it over 10 times now, and I still wait to see what happens on the next page.

Bottom line: Loved it.

Our love is like a Rose...Beautiful while in bloom, but it can not last forever.

~Shameless Self Advertising~

~Banners by the wonderful Kearyn, Rose and me. XD~
tiannangel's Profile Send Private Message tiannangel's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Jennifer | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 481 | Roses: 10
Old 12-27-2008 at 04:58 PM
Wandering Child
Nobody's Home.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [22]

I've read this and although there were a few creepy parts, (the one that really stands out being the part where Dracula's wives find Johnathan asleep. Gives me shivers
just thinking about it,) and it wasn't as scary as I thought it was gonna be. Overall, a great and wonderful read.
angelgirl's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 05-20-2009 at 04:20 AM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [23]

This is a very hard story for my friends to actually understand. So I'm pretty much interpreting. It isn't as scary as people have described it, I can read it during night and not freak out at the slightest sound. I love the story because well you know it's the greatest thing that I've seen out of anyone's imagination.

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 12-03-2009 at 09:43 PM
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [24]

Heh heh... I finally saw Coppola's film and a few others, and come bearing short reviews! Even though this thread is supposed to be about the book... well, hey, I posted my thoughts on page 1, and everyone else is talking about the various film versions. XD

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992), directed by Francis Ford Coppola: Meh. The acting and production values were good overall (despite Keanu Reeves), and it hit on a lot of the plot details that most versions miss (like Lucy's 3 suitors). However, I really disapproved of a lot of the changes made to the characters' personalities. Making Dracula really the same person as Vlad the Impaler was a nice gesture, but I didn't think it worked all that well. If Bram Stoker were around to see this film, I think he'd say something along the lines of, "Okay, so they read my book... but I don't think they really understood it."

Dracula 2000: I usually like Wes Craven, but he's a lot better at coming up with his own monsters than modernizing classic ones. The "Drac as Judas" idea was clever, but poorly used. And the writing, oh dear lord, the writing! I feel sorry for Gerard Butler, Nathan Fillion, Jeri Ryan, and Christopher Plummer for getting roped into this. Needless to say, I will most definitely not be watching the sequels that have been done for this version.

Dracula (2006) - BBC: Strange, yet interesting take on the legend. Basically, in this one, Arthur is suffering from syphilis and joins a cult in the hopes of finding a cure. The cult, he finds out, is involved in bringing Count Dracula (played by Marc Warren) to London. Good acting and writing despite some really weird plot ideas (and the fact that Warren looks a bit too much like a goth singer to really take seriously as the legendary Count). I must warn you, though, that this is a particularly graphic version in terms of both sex and blood/gore... so discretion is advised.

Dracula (1979) - directed by John Badham: This may well be my favorite film version of the story. It's very different from the book in terms of plot -- among other things, Mina and Lucy's roles are switched, Mina is Van Helsing's daughter, we don't see Transylvania at all (no prologue with Jonathan or anyone else), and the ending is sure to leave you wondering. Still, this version captured the book's mood better than any other one I've seen. Frank Langella is superbly captivating as Dracula, Sir Laurence Olivier makes a great Van Helsing, and the vamp-ified Mina is one of the creepiest film vampires I've seen -- great stuff! (If you're prone to nightmares, DO NOT watch that scene in a dark room with the sound way up.) :D

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Pudding, Bubbles, Pablo, Spider | Gender: Mademoiselle | Age: 22 | Posts: 242 | Roses: 0
Old 02-08-2010 at 10:38 PM
La Masque
Wandering Child
Erik's Margarita

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [25]

Dracula is absotively posilutely the best novel I have ever read alongside with Phantom and perhaps Harry Potter and Sherlock, ah Sherlock...but he is in a category on his own as far as I am concerned. Dracula himself is how a vampire should be portrayed. Sexy, (or at least intense), classy, old fashioned, and blood sucking, plus he has all of the original powers such as hypnotism and not being able to cross water. Oh, and DRACULA DOES NOT SPARKLE!! HALLELUJAH!! My friends and I have actually drawn up and are going to order shirts that say Team Dracula, then on the back it says 'sparkling is not an option' or 'We do NOT sparkle' or something along the lines. Either way, ish amazing and I am rambling TA~~

Thank you PJ for the awesome sig!! You are the Angel of Awesomeness!!
La Masque's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Kate O'Keefe | Gender: Female | Age: 27 | Posts: 29 | Roses: 10
Old 07-16-2011 at 03:41 PM
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [26]

I loved that book! It's fun to read and the characters are really cool too. I love looking at the story from different angles.

I have to admit it: I watch Francis Ford Coppola's filmed version every Halloween. It's one of my favourite films, mainly because I love Gary Oldman and I can't quite replace him as Dracula or Sadie Frost as Lucy (I just loved her transformation throughout the film). I did think Anthony Hopkins was hamming it up a bit and Keanu Reeves was a dire miscast, but I still love the movie and the artwork and costumes are AMAZING!

You are not alone!

Stalk me!
Kitty-Grimm's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Seren | Gender: Nonbinary/androgyne | Age: 28 | Posts: 1,031 | Roses: 10
Old 10-11-2011 at 03:19 PM
Wandering Child
Dial A For Alan.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [27]

Currently reading it, and all I can say is wow because Bram Stoker is made of epic win. Also, I really like the description of Dracula himself, especially the bit about his fingernails. Oh, and is it just me, or did anyone else immediately think of Christopher Lee after reading the description of Dracula?

There are many bodies of water in this world;

Yet none would quench my thirst for you.
xXphantomaddictedXx's Profile Send Private Message xXphantomaddictedXx's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote