Name: Emily | Gender: Female | Posts: 5 | Roses: 10
Old 03-07-2015 at 02:16 AM
TitaniEm
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Something that has always made me wonder...  Post [1]

This makes me feel like a poor fool to ask, but I have a question about the 2004 movie.
I love the movie, it's how I was introduced to the beauty that is POTO, but something has always made me slightly confused.
The black and white scenes in the movie with the auction and everything that happens long after the main story, there is a women. She is Madam Giry correct? Someone told me it was Meg, but I am not sure. I would just like to be sure.
Any answers would be helpful! Thank you!

-~~~Musician of the Night ~~~-

Close your eyes and let the music set you free...

:
TitaniEm's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Anne | Gender: Female | Posts: 66 | Roses: 10
Old 03-07-2015 at 02:31 AM
Lotte Potter
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniEm View Post
This makes me feel like a poor fool to ask, but I have a question about the 2004 movie.
I love the movie, it's how I was introduced to the beauty that is POTO, but something has always made me slightly confused.
The black and white scenes in the movie with the auction and everything that happens long after the main story, there is a women. She is Madam Giry correct? Someone told me it was Meg, but I am not sure. I would just like to be sure.
Any answers would be helpful! Thank you!
I can't validate this, but I heard that Hal Prince's vision for the prologue was for the scene to basically be Raoul's death. The auctioneer is death incarnate, and the others in the Opera House (except for the nurse, of course) were in Raoul's head. Sort of like bidding to a better place in heaven or something (which makes the scene extremely sad, because Raoul's bidding on everything that is connected to Christine). In that case, I could see it being Madam Giry.

Back to your question: I realize that this is different in the movie because of all the flashbacks and the grave and such. Technically Madam Giry could have been alive because the Phantom was, and they were around the same age. But I've heard that it is Meg, which also makes sense.
Lotte Potter's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Emily | Gender: Female | Posts: 5 | Roses: 10
Old 03-07-2015 at 04:59 AM
TitaniEm
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte Potter View Post
I can't validate this, but I heard that Hal Prince's vision for the prologue was for the scene to basically be Raoul's death. The auctioneer is death incarnate, and the others in the Opera House (except for the nurse, of course) were in Raoul's head. Sort of like bidding to a better place in heaven or something (which makes the scene extremely sad, because Raoul's bidding on everything that is connected to Christine). In that case, I could see it being Madam Giry.

Back to your question: I realize that this is different in the movie because of all the flashbacks and the grave and such. Technically Madam Giry could have been alive because the Phantom was, and they were around the same age. But I've heard that it is Meg, which also makes sense.
Thank you. I've always considered it Madam Giry because of her and Phantom being the same age. Meg also makes sense because the main story ends with her picking up the music box in Phantom's lair. I personally think it is Madam Giry.

Also your input about it being near Raoul's death was interesting. I want to read that now.

Thank you for your feedback.

-~~~Musician of the Night ~~~-

Close your eyes and let the music set you free...

:
TitaniEm's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Linda | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 03-08-2015 at 06:45 PM
Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniEm View Post
Also your input about it being near Raoul's death was interesting. I want to read that now.

Thank you for your feedback.
I do as well. This is the first I have heard of this and it sounds fascinating.
Designated Driver's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2015 at 07:29 PM
Lotte Potter
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5]

I'll see if I can find the website I found that on.

Old 03-08-2015 at 08:23 PM
Lotte Potter
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6]

I found it!!! I was listening to a podcast yesterday from a few years back that was interviewing Meg from the Vegas production. In their introduction, they mentioned that she goes by Meglett.
This is what she had to say about the situation on desertedphans:

"When we first rehearsed the Auction scene, Hal Prince told everyone in the scene that it was basically Raoul's death. The Auctioneer is suppose to be Death incarnate and all the opera people are suppose to be "memories" or ghost in Raoul's mind. That's why the scene is slow and drawn out compared to the timing of the other scenes. The managers, Mme. Giry, Mme. Firmin, Princess, LeFevre, Wardobe Mistress, a couple of the men of the opera and even a ballerina are all part of what makes up the "bidders" trying to buy there way to a better place perhaps? (Of course, his nurse isn't exactly dead, but someone has to wheel that old guy around)

Since hearing that and watching them set that scene, I've thought that the reason has been to showcase the effect that this story had on Raoul who is the only one left behind to tell the tale on top of setting the "creepy" tone of the mysterious masked man.

Personally, I believe that Raoul dies with chandelier rising/theater restoration and basically we're seeing the show through his memories and what others have told him. Again that's what I personally believe and others can disagree with me on that."

Name: Linda | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 03-08-2015 at 10:33 PM
Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7]

This is really cool. Sure blows the hidden plot theory to smithereens.
Designated Driver's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Michelle | Gender: n/a | Posts: 42 | Roses: 10
Old 08-04-2015 at 06:15 PM
Knight of Cydonia
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8]

I never considered that idea, about it being related to Raoul's death. That's really cool.

I always thought it was interesting that the bidders all wear black, and it's only the nurse accompanying Raoul that's in white...
Knight of Cydonia's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote