The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » The Lair of the Phantom » The House on the Lake
Remember Me?

View Poll Results: Is your favorite a...
musical 0 0%
book 0 0%
movie 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 28 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 05-28-2010 at 06:37 PM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [21] »

I was first introduced to POTO through the ALW musical version, and so that remains among my very favorites. Also topping the list are the original novel, the 1925 and 1989 film versions (though the latter is a very different take on the story), and the Susan Kay novel.

Other versions I really liked include the 1943 and 1983 films, the 1990 TV miniseries, the musical versions by Ken Hill, Yeston & Kopit, and Tom Alonso, and the Wishbone episode that told a somewhat more kid-friendly version of Leroux's story.

I liked the 2004 movie all right when I first saw it, but after having been exposed to so many different casts of the stage version, the bloom is off the rose for the movie for me. I don't hate it, and I'll certainly watch it again if asked, but given the choice, I'd gladly read/watch/listen to just about any other version instead.

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Tori | Gender: female | Age: 32 | Posts: 5 | Roses: 10
Old 05-30-2010 at 04:40 PM
Lotte
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [22] »

I love the book and like the way the phantom is portrayed in it as an actual 'phantom' and mysterious figure. I don't like him being a 'man' in the movie as it takes away that mystery and magic that the phantom holds, however I'm not saying I don't like the movie. The musical is something completely spell binding and touching though and I love the music involved in the ALW show. Theres nothing that compares to seeing it live.
If I really had to choose though, I'd probably say the stage version is my fave :)
Lotte's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Samantha | Gender: Female | Posts: 25 | Roses: 10
Old 05-30-2010 at 10:15 PM
Samantha
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [23] »

I love ALW's movie version more than any other. I must watch it again soon.
When I first saw it, I watched it every night for 2 weeks.

My name is Samantha. I'm the author of Life After Phantom: Opera Erotica, a thrilling novel. Details at www.LifeAfterPhantom.com
Samantha's Profile Send Private Message Samantha's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Regan | Gender: female | Posts: 50 | Roses: 10
Old 05-31-2010 at 01:02 AM
XxLe FantomexX
Wandering Child
Michael Crawford Phan!

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [24] »

My Favorite, would probably be the ALW Musical...I've seen it twice, and, I tought it was AMAZING!! :)

coming in Second would be a close tie between the Leroux and Kay novels...

then third would be the 1925 with lon chaney...plus the 1990 miniseries, with Charles Dance...

my least favorite would be the 2004 movie...and the Dario Argento one...ugh!!!! >:(

I know...not much said...but I think I will look into some phan phic...hmmm.. :)

Official Member of the M.C.I.F.A.
Michael Crawford International Fan Association One, Two, Freddy's coming for YOU!
XxLe FantomexX's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Taylor | Gender: Fräulein | Posts: 15 | Roses: 10
Old 05-31-2010 at 07:18 AM
Colonel Landa
Wandering Child
Inglourious Basterd(ess)

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [25] »

I'm going to have to go with ALW's stage version as my favorite adaptation. The Chaney version definitely has its silent movie charms and I haven't really enjoyed any of the other movie versions, except maybe the 2004 version because it is the one that introduced me to the phandom. (Run-on sentence, hm?)

The music is enchanting and the mystery that is The Phantom simply excited the Romantic within me. Although flawed, it is a musical masterpiece. However, my hands down favorite Erik is the original Leroux!Erik. 1) He's, well, the original. 2) His insanity is amazing.

Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, true or false, are often revealing
Thanks, A_Single_Rose, for the awesome banner!
Attendez le crème...
Colonel Landa's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Katie | Gender: Female | Age: 29 | Posts: 23 | Roses: 10
Old 06-01-2010 at 07:31 AM
KChan88
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [26] »

I'd have to say that the stage musical is my overall favorite. I've seen it twice; one of those two times was at Her Majesty's in London while I was there last summer, and I was astounded at what a wonderful production it was, even better than the US tour production I saw a few years ago, which I hadn't thought possible. I was first introduced to Phantom as a little girl when my friend made me listen to her parents' Original London Cast CD, so I imagine it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Tied for second would be the original Leroux novel and the 2004 movie. I adore Leroux for coming up with the original story, and enjoy reading the novel over and over again. I also love the 2004 movie, despite it's faults (Erik's deformity in this one really bugs me) because I can watch it anytime I like, since I can't go see the stage musical anytime I like. I thought overall the film was very well done, and I can watch it over and over.

I've watched a few other Phantom films, but these three versions are by far my favs.

Banner by velvet_fox

"In this way, Raoul learned to love the same airs that had charmed Christine's childhood. They also both had the same calm and dreamy little cast of mind. They delighted in stories, in old Breton legends; and their favourite sport was to go and ask for them at the cottage-doors, like beggars."
KChan88's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Samantha | Gender: Female | Posts: 25 | Roses: 10
Old 06-07-2010 at 07:46 PM
Samantha
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [27] »

It's all a matter of individual taste. When I was little, I watched the 1925 Lon Chaney version on TV....It was scary to me, and I hated it.
That version stopped me from watching anything Phantom until 2005. When I finally watched the ALW movie with Gerard Butler, I was totally hooked.

Since then I've seen/read several variations. I saw the stage version in Las Vegas, but didn't like it at all,
because the Phantom was played by a guy that reminded me of the geeky 'Riddler' (Frank Gorshinin)
in the original Batman series starring Adam West. That was a BIG disappointment, but I still loved POTO.

I hated the movie version with Robert Englund, but I really liked the TV mini-series starring, Charles Dance and Burt Lancaster.
I've read a pile of Phantom novels and variations...including, of course, the original by Gaston Leroux, and Susan Kay's, which I love!

My favorite movie/stage version is still ALW's with Gerard Butler, but I want nothing to do with Love Never Dies,
because of the character assasinations and inconsistencies in the storyline.

My favorite novel version is my own, Life After Phantom: Opera Erotica. I hope someday it's made into a movie.

~Samantha~

My name is Samantha. I'm the author of Life After Phantom: Opera Erotica, a thrilling novel. Details at www.LifeAfterPhantom.com
Samantha's Profile Send Private Message Samantha's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Jackie | Gender: Female | Age: 36 | Posts: 9 | Roses: 10
Old 05-10-2014 at 03:28 PM
WanderingChild80
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [28] »

The movie with Gerry Butler
WanderingChild80's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Lynn Rossignol | Gender: Female | Age: 39 | Posts: 30 | Roses: 10
Old 09-18-2014 at 07:33 AM
Nightingale
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [29] »

Favorite by far is Susan Kay's Phantom. For me I liked the storytelling through various POV and that went through his whole life. I was wrenched by that journey.

"The only way to ensure a dream withstands the torrents of time is to lay the foundation in hard work and skills. Anything less and the accomplishment is not worth recognition."-Erik- from my novel ~Nightingale's Strain~
Follow the series Nightingale's Odyssey
Nightingale's Profile Send Private Message Nightingale's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Madeline | Gender: F | Age: 36 | Posts: 31 | Roses: 10
Old 09-18-2014 at 08:07 AM
ErikPhan
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [30] »

For me it's the Leroux novel and the 1925 silent version with Lon Chaney.
I'd like to hear the BBC radio adaptation, because from what I know via Phantom Reviews it's a good version, too :)
ErikPhan's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote