The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom The House on the Lake
Remember Me?

View Poll Results: Is your favorite a...
musical 0 0%
book 0 0%
movie 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: kayla | Gender: girl | Posts: 13 | Roses: 10
Old 11-08-2009 at 10:19 PM
Christine's next face
Wandering Child
in love with the phantom

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
What's your favorite version (book, movie, musical) of the story?  Post [1]

I was wondering others opininons on the topic. I am new to being in love with the phantom only haveing seen the first half of the 2004 version for my music class. I want some suggestions/opinions on the best versions. I perfur versions that portray it as more of a love triangle between Roule, Christine, and the phantom Eric.
Christine's next face's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Aviana | Gender: Ange de Musique | Posts: 98 | Roses: 10
Old 11-09-2009 at 12:59 AM
Soprano Rose
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2]

First of all, welcome to the site! I'm new here, too, but have been familiar with the story for quite some time now. Feel free to PM me any time.

Back on topic....

My personal favorite version of the story would have to be Leroux's original novel. Mainly because I don't think you can fully understand any other version without knowing your roots, and it really is a good book, despite some rather choppy translations.

However, a pretty close second would be the Andrew Llloyd Webber musical. It has a very beautiful and haunting score, great lyrics, gorgeous design.... It really is a wonderful production.

In third would be the 1925 silent film with Lon Chaney. I also thought the 1990 miniseries was pretty good.

P.S. Their names are spelled 'Erik' and 'Raoul'.
Soprano Rose's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 11-09-2009 at 04:56 AM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3]

Personally I love the Susan Kay version because I enjoy her POV of Erik.

I enjoy Gaston's original because of the detail in the events.

My least favorite actually has gone to the 2004 movie. I mean it's something that I remember and I can actually sit through, but...I just really think it goes against what I think of the story.

I mean, hey I was a phan that was all about the 2004 movie...personally I guess I have matured into something completely different.

Of the casts out there I have to say the Vegas Production is BEAUTIFUL!

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Mookie | Gender: Alien | Posts: 113 | Roses: 10
Old 11-09-2009 at 08:49 AM
commandermookie
Wandering Child
Love Should Not Divide: Link in sig

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4]

I haven't seen the broadway musical yet, although I get to go next year. I've seen the 2004 movie, Lon Chaney's version, the 1986 version with Jane Seymour, and have read Susan Kay's Phantom as well as Leroux's Phantom, so I guess you could say I'm pretty well-versed. ^_^

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE ALW's music, but I don't think the 2004 movie was the best. I still watch it every now and then, but if you think about it, alot of the facts are mixed up. [i.e Chandelier falls at the end of the movie, there's actually a sword fight, Erik's deformity, ect...]

Susan Kay's version was...interesting...but, like Hidden Silk, I enjoyed Erik's POV very much. The prequel part of it was also very good.

1986 version was entertaining, but I don't think it should be considered Phantom of the Opera. A LOT [I mean, even more than the 2004 version] of the facts were messed up. But I absolutely LOVE Jane Seymour, so I was really excited that she played in it.

Alas, my favorite version has to be the original book. It's very detailed, and Leroux!Erik seems to be much more sinister, more evil than all of the others. [Sorry, but Gerard Butler portrayed everything but evil!] I personally think that Christine seemed more mature in the book than in any other version. And the ending was so extremely sad that I cry every time I read it.

And I'm pretty sure I'm going to LOVE the broadway musical!

commandermookie's Profile Send Private Message commandermookie's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Lynn | Gender: female | Age: 35 | Posts: 68 | Roses: 10
Old 11-09-2009 at 09:00 AM
lynn82md
Wandering Child
The Lone Entertainer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5]

I've only seen the 1925 and 2004 version of POTO. I prefer 2004 because that's what really set off my whole interest in the POTO. It's not that I don't like the 1925 version, especially since the 1925 isn't a talkie like the 2004 version. My personal issue was that it was just too boring for me in the begining. Then again, it could've been the music that was being played in the begining...sure it's beautiful, but it can put you to sleep if nothing is happening worth while in the begining.

I've only read Susan Kay's and Gaston Leroux's novels. I like them both, but I prefer Susan Kay's because I love how she did the whole background of Erik and it was easier for me to read her novel compare to Gaston Leroux's. I have to agree with ALW and the other producer of the musical (forgot his name...has Cameron in there somewhere) on what they said about reading Gaston's novel on the 2004 movie's "Behind the Mask" documentary.

It was confusing at times, but in the sense of trying to figure out what genre it was. I could've swore by the way he wrote it, especially in the begining, it sounded like a true story. Now, I did know that Gaston worked on a case at the Paris Opera House where they did find a deformed skeleton in the cellars of the Opera House when he was a detective...which I think was the motive for him to write the POTO. It was just confusing to read at times, and it took me a longer time to finished than Susan Kay's.

I've only seen one version of the musical. I saw it at Her Majesty's in London. It was awesome.
lynn82md's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 11-09-2009 at 12:30 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6]

Well, if you're just starting out in the phandom, I highly reccomend that you attempt to see the actual stage musical instead of the movie version of Phantom. Trust me, it's a lot better. The movie version isn't regarded as one of the best versions only because Gerard Butler's Phantom is quite as good as stage Phantoms. If you can't get to a live show, I have some bootlegs and links of various performances that you might be interested in, but I think that it's important to see the spenldor of the real, record-breaking thing.

Next, the orginal novel by Gaston Leroux. Nay, it's quite essential actually. If you can't see the stage musical at all, you must read this. I'm postive that you can find the book online (I can provide one if you link) if you do not wish to purchase it. It differs slightly from ALW's Phantom, mainly with Erik's deformity and home, but it was the original so it's important to know your roots. After that, you should check out Phantom by Susan Kay (as the people above have mentioned). It's a great book that combines elements of ALW and Leroux (mostly Leroux) to form a great insight into the world of Erik.

After that, there are many other good versions to discover. My personal favorite movie versions (all available on youtube) are the silent film (1925/1929) and the Charles Dance film (1990). STAY AWAY FROM THE DARIO ARGENTO VERSION AT ALL COSTS. If you want to hear more about other Phantom movies, you should check out Phantom Reviews on youtube. He's very insightful and helpful in his videos.

There are also other musical (not ALW) versions of Phantom. There's one with David Staller (on youtube), the Ken Hill musical (I have the album link), and the Yeston/Kopit musical that was a basis for the Charles Dance film. All of them are pretty good, but I prefer ALW's music over all.

Hope I was some help and welcome to the boards!
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Aviana | Gender: Ange de Musique | Posts: 98 | Roses: 10
Old 11-09-2009 at 07:40 PM
Soprano Rose
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7]

Unfortunately, I STILL haven't read Kay. But I WILL find a copy, mark my words!
Does anyone know if there's a place I can read it on the internet?

I agree with everything you said, Viktoria. STAY AWAY FROM ARGENTO! Save yourself time, money, a really bad migraine, and quite possibly several years on a therapy couch, and watch Phantom Reviewer's assassination. Now, THAT was good. in fact, all his reviews are.
Soprano Rose's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Paula | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 11-09-2009 at 10:13 PM
MllePaula
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8]

I wouldn't say to stay away from Argento completely because I'm the sort who likes to experience as many versions as possible. However, I only recommend viewing this AFTER one has experienced all the good versions out there...the stage musical, the Lon Chaney film, the original novel, etc.

Now, to answer the original question, I like the Lloyd Webber musical best. Fell in love with the music back when the show opened on Broadway and I heard the cast recording. Have seen it so many times live and it never loses a single bit of its magic, especially with a great cast.

So, that's my favorite version.

As for the movie, well, I liked it when I first saw it. At the time, I was a longtime fan of the story and the cast recording but had not yet seen it live on stage. Once I did see it on Broadway, the movie seemed painfully guady, vapid, and cheap. And vocals (not counting Patrick Wilson) are painfully inadequate.

My second favorite is Leroux...I'm an amateur historian in real life so I always have respect, if not love, for the source material.

MllePaula's Profile Send Private Message MllePaula's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Hannah | Gender: the "weaker" sex | Posts: 501 | Roses: 110
Old 11-09-2009 at 11:10 PM
Madame le Courayer
Wandering Child
Make your choice!

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9]

Wow. It's really hard to choose between the three because they are all so different!

But I will list my favorite three in order of preference.

Leroux's original novel is the bible of phandom and is where we first meet Erik as he truly is. I love the gothic/detective/cheesy dramatic aspect of the novel as well as the interesting historical tidbits sprinkled throughout. In it Erik is middle-aged genius with a horrific condition that makes him resemble a living corpse. It is the last word in Phantom lit.

My second choice would be the 1925 Lon Chaney silent film simply because it is so close to the book and wonderfully vivid despite its age. Chaney's makeup has yet to be surpassed by any movie version.

Last is the musical/ALW movie. I like it simply for its music.

Madame le Courayer's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 11-12-2009 at 02:27 AM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10]

I think that if your a beginning phan start off experimenting to see which you like the best. Sure not a lot of people enjoy the 2004 version, but if that's what you like, that works with me. If you are a purist like awesome Viktoria ^^ then go for it. I personally think that starting off with a few of the musical pieces from the musical and then reading a few of the books (Gaston or Kay) and then eventually expand to phan phics that are published.

I mean, I started all out from this REALLY crappy phan phics from quizillia while I was playing the music for choir. And then I started to sing it...then I discovered that hey I can sing! You know, many things are found out when you explore ;)

Now, I'm a closer to purist with my own twist on things. I'm not going to be a purist to accept something, but because I can agree with it's POV. I actually enjoy the ballet a bit too...it's really...different, but it's nice.

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote