The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » The Lair of the Phantom » The House on the Lake » The Angel of Music
Remember Me?

View Poll Results: What is your favourite?
2004 1 8.33%
2011 8 66.67%
both 2 16.67%
neither 1 8.33%
I have only seen/remember one of them 0 0%
I haven't seen/I don't remember both 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Chiara | Gender: a young lady | Age: 20 | Posts: 103 | Roses: 10
Old 07-01-2014 at 11:11 AM
Flattering Child
Wandering Child
no emperor received so fair a gift

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Favourite adaption - 2004 or 2011  Post [1] »

Okay, it's not exactly the same, because 2004 was really a movie, while 2011 is a filmed performance - and not even a "real" life performance, because it was in the RAH and not in a real theatre. Anyways, wich one do you prefer?

Personally, I prefer the 2011 version! OK, it didn't have the chandelier, the set. But it had the costumes . and proper actors! I really dislike the 2004 film...

Flattering Child's Profile Send Private Message Flattering Child's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 28 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 07-01-2014 at 07:03 PM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2] »

I prefer the 2011 version, as well. (For those who don't know which version that is, it's the 25th anniversary concert that was filmed in London and then released in movie theaters and on DVD.)

I think the concert is a much better representation of ALW's musical version -- the actors can really sing, the costumes are the original versions and the sets are closer to the originals than the 2004 movie's, and there weren't any of those silly changes like the swordfight or the attempts to make the Phantom more "realistic" by showing how he pulled off all his tricks. My only real complaints about the concert were that Hadley Fraser plays Raoul as a bit too much of a jerk, and Liz Robertson as Madame Giry doesn't sound very good singing-wise. Still much better than having a really vocally inexperienced Phantom and Christine, though. I'm glad we have the 2011 concert so I can have a proper filmed version of the musical to try and introduce my non-Phan friends to the show.

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Chiara | Gender: a young lady | Age: 20 | Posts: 103 | Roses: 10
Old 07-01-2014 at 07:27 PM
Flattering Child
Wandering Child
no emperor received so fair a gift

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3] »

I totally agree! There are lots of videos from stage versions I prefer over the 2011 version, but I really enjoy watching the 2011 version. The actors are good (not my absolute phaves, but I like all of them), the costumes are brilliant and the set is as good as they can be in the RAH. And since I don't have a chance to watch the show live (I am not too fond of the current Hamburg production. I don't want to spend money on it, seriously) it's a very good alternative for me. And I really like the finale! Sarah has lost her voice, but it's nice to see her, and I enjoy the Phantoms (exept for Peter maybe). Especially Anthony!

Flattering Child's Profile Send Private Message Flattering Child's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Jennifer | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 481 | Roses: 10
Old 08-21-2014 at 04:23 PM
angelgirl
Wandering Child
Nobody's Home.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4] »

I like them both, for various reasons.
The 2011 version, I was really happy that they'd filmed the stage show (or a version of it, at least.) It enabled me to kind of relive that day I saw the show for the first time back in 2008.

Thanks to the wonderful Tiannaangel for my sig!
angelgirl's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Joel Maqueira | Gender: Male | Posts: 4 | Roses: 10
Old 10-06-2015 at 11:45 PM
musicofthenightphan
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5] »

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelgirl View Post
I like them both, for various reasons.
The 2011 version, I was really happy that they'd filmed the stage show (or a version of it, at least.) It enabled me to kind of relive that day I saw the show for the first time back in 2008.
I like them both as well. But I have to say, I have a special place in my heart for the movie version. Not because I think it's better, but because it's what got me into the show to begin with (and the look on Raoul's face during "Point Of No Return" is priceless!) . Here's a nice performance of POTO from youtube featuring Matt Cammelle on London's West End in 2006. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU4umqmSn3c
musicofthenightphan's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 28 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 10-07-2015 at 11:03 PM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6] »

Indeed, Matt was an excellent Phantom. Thanks for sharing the video! (And I know the person who posted it, as well.)

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Joel Maqueira | Gender: Male | Posts: 4 | Roses: 10
Old 10-09-2015 at 04:48 AM
musicofthenightphan
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7] »

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamErik771 View Post
Indeed, Matt was an excellent Phantom. Thanks for sharing the video! (And I know the person who posted it, as well.)
COOL! What a coincidence! :)
musicofthenightphan's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Christine | Gender: Female | Age: 29 | Posts: 32 | Roses: 10
Old 01-08-2016 at 01:00 AM
ChristineDaaeRosesOfMasks
Wandering Child
Erik's Student

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8] »

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicofthenightphan View Post
I like them both as well. But I have to say, I have a special place in my heart for the movie version. Not because I think it's better, but because it's what got me into the show to begin with (and the look on Raoul's face during "Point Of No Return" is priceless!) . Here's a nice performance of POTO from youtube featuring Matt Cammelle on London's West End in 2006. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU4umqmSn3c
I have to say that I agree with what this person said about the movie version of Phantom. The 2004 version was what really got me into the show!!! Soon after I'd seen the fillm, I got the OLC and from then on it's been History!!
I do like the 2011 version, but the only things I don't like are that the guy who was cast as Raoul, sounded soo much older than what his character is, and that at times, the three main character's voices sort of clashed because I think they were all trying to be ddrmatic all at the same time and so that gets really greating. Listen to Wandering Child in the second act and see how when all three of them sing it's like Ooooh......
The only other thing I know for a fact I completely hated was when Sariah Brightman tried, and the key word here is 'tried to sing the part of Christine in the final part of the concert. That was completely tairable!!!!!!!! She completely has no voice at all what so ever. I know she was the original Christine, but really? Also, I know that she didn't sing that last high note at the end. That was the recording from the original cast recording, so they just played it and she lip sang to it. My friends that were watching it with me said that she really did sing the note, and I was like um? Guys? no she didn't, it was pre-recorded. Does anyone have some of the same thoughts about Sariah's performance?

Beneath the opera house, I know he's there.
He's with me on the stage, he's everywhere.
And when my song begins, I always find, the phantom of the opera is there, inside my mind.
"Christine Daaé! Where is your red scarf?"
You couldn't have lost it. After all the trouble I caused! I was just 14 and soked to the skin!"
"Because you had run into the sea to fech my scarf! Oh Raoul, so it is you!"
Roses, the color of blood filled her lap. In her hands she held a mask. She knew that her home was the house on the lake. Her angel of music would always be there singing songs in her head.
Are you so sure that a small jar would contain me, madame?
Three long years I've nelt in silence
Held your memory near me.
Three long years of murmured sorrow
Willing you to hear me...
“Passing bells and sculpted angels, cold and monumental...”
ChristineDaaeRosesOfMasks's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Mary | Gender: female | Posts: 18 | Roses: 10
Old 06-02-2017 at 08:45 PM
MarySkater
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9] »

I always liked the basic story of Phantom; I remember the Herbert Lom movie in the Sixties, and I'd seen the silent film on TV. But the London ALW show really hooked me, and I've seen it several times. So I like the 25th Anniversary performance better than the 2004 movie, as it's about 90% of the stage show, which I really love. I was in the audience in the RAH for the performance that they recorded, the atmosphere was tremendous, and the DVD helps bring that back to me.
MarySkater's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Michelle | Gender: n/a | Posts: 42 | Roses: 10
Old 07-24-2017 at 09:27 PM
Knight of Cydonia
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10] »

Definitely the 2011 version.

I feel extremely lucky we got a filmed version of the stage musical, rather than just the songs, and everyone was well cast. It's the best way for me to "relive" seeing it live, and to show friends to hopefully make phans out of them.

I was so-so about the movie; on the one hand it looked visually stunning, and it was exciting it see all the sets in a Hollywood production. But I was not impressed by the singing of Christine and especially the Phantom (Raoul wasn't that bad), which is a huge downside. Gerard Butler and his skin rash and rough, rock-y voice were not at all what I envisioned for the Phantom and his hideous deformity and otherworldly, beautiful singing. Not to mention taking things like the Red Death costume out, having the Phantom sword-fight Raoul (and lose!), and having a lot of movie goofs (e.g. water bubbles floating downwards?) that helped make it a poor movie rather than just a poor Phantom of the Opera movie.
Knight of Cydonia's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote