Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [11]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte Potter View Post
That's up to interpretation then, but I don't want to get into it. What we do know is that Christine was moved by his tears, and that is what compelled to let her go. Anyway, just my two cents.
Of course it's up to interpretation, Lotte. But to me, I don't think there was any hidden symbolism in Erik singing a particular piece. I think it was the music that moved him, not the beauty of the actual practice itself.

Not to disagree here, but I want to put a different thought out there. I don't believe Erik was moved by any compassion on Christine's part. It's fun to think that, Christine previously showed him plenty of compassion.

I think was saved her in the end was the fact that Christine shows integrity and good faith and proves it by standing by her word and becomes Erik's wife.

Did that redeem Erik? Hard to say, but I see him as a realist. Honesty and good faith would move him more than some lofty ideal of compassion rendered through a kiss.
Designated Driver's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Anne | Gender: Female | Posts: 66 | Roses: 10
Old 03-08-2015 at 11:04 PM
Lotte Potter
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [12]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designated Driver View Post
Of course it's up to interpretation, Lotte. But to me, I don't think there was any hidden symbolism in Erik singing a particular piece. I think it was the music that moved him, not the beauty of the actual practice itself.

Not to disagree here, but I want to put a different thought out there. I don't believe Erik was moved by any compassion on Christine's part. It's fun to think that, Christine previously showed him plenty of compassion.

I think was saved her in the end was the fact that Christine shows integrity and good faith and proves it by standing by her word and becomes Erik's wife.

Did that redeem Erik? Hard to say, but I see him as a realist. Honesty and good faith would move him more than some lofty ideal of compassion rendered through a kiss.
You already know this, but I still don't think Christine required redeeming. Anyway:
I know I've already stated this, but Erik goes on and on about how he just wants to be loved for himself and that if she would just do that he would be gentle.
I don't think it's the compassion itself. It's the humanity that the compassion represents. For that one moment Christine sees him as he is: Erik. Previously in the novel, Christine, Leroux, and Erik spoke of him as a monster. After this moment, Leroux speaks of him as nothing but a man.
Lotte Potter's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Linda | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 03-08-2015 at 11:23 PM
Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [13]

No, Leroux still refers to him as a monster.
Designated Driver's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote