Old 06-24-2007 at 08:33 PM
MystMoonstruck
Wandering Child
House Patron
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [21]

Of course, I have seen the film, and I'm sure I'm past 200 viewings thanks to, first, network showings then Turner Classic Movies. Ted Turner believes it shouldn't be trotted out only once a year, so they air it several times a year.

Oh! I watched a WOZ special in which they showed not only "The Jitterbug" number but also the extended version of "If I Only Had a Brain".

Did you know that they nearly cut "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" because they felt it slowed down the film?! Thank goodness, they came to their senses!

Sadly, I've never had the opportunity to see a stage production, but it's nice to know that they include "The Jitterbug", which was cut because they feared that the dance was a passing phase that would be quickly forgotten. A reference to that musical number still exists in the film. Listen to the Witch as she dispatches the flying monkeys to capture the travelers.

MystMoonstruck's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Ran | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 1,118 | Roses: 84
Old 07-18-2007 at 06:24 AM
PhAnToMeSs07
Wandering Child
House Patron
Random Ran

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [22]

I have never seen it on stage but of course I have seen the movie. Who hasn't? My eleventh grade English teacher was obsessed with it and at the end of the year, we got to go into the gym and do the thing as a play. She gave us all a script and we all alternated parts. I got to play Dorothy, The Wicked Witch of the West, and Aunt Em. It was a blast. I remember when I was little, the Wizard of Oz scared me but now I love it. The Wizard of Oz and Wicked have become my latest obsession. The songs are addictive too. They really get stuck in my head. When we did the play, I had Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead stuck in my head for a month, but I didn't mind. :)

I just wanna be alone now with the dark and the light. That's my favorite color blue there

As the sun sets in the sky, there's just something in the hue there in the corner of my eye
PhAnToMeSs07's Profile Send Private Message PhAnToMeSs07's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 08-24-2007 at 10:57 PM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [23]

I believe the Wizard of Oz was the second musical I ever saw (Lion King was the first). I really loved it! And I still do! I was singing "Follow the yellow brick road" earlier, like ten minutes ago. I don't really know how to decribe it, but I really really really still like this movie. It was so cool when I was growing up, and it still makes me laugh today! :)

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Nadya | Gender: Kitty | Age: 32 | Posts: 1,489 | Roses: 30
Old 09-26-2007 at 07:03 AM
Isabella Delancy
Wandering Child
House Patron
Brainwashed by the Cult

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [24]

It's really quite sad I've not posted in this thread considering...y'know, I am Glinda and all that. lol.

I love the Wizard of Oz. It's one of my favourite films of old. It was the first time I'd ever seen anything of its kind, and loved how it jumped from black and white to colour once they arrived in Munchkinland (was that the official name or just the one I dubbed it?). Judy Garland was my hero for so long, in that I inspired to look and sing like her (not in that I wanted to drop a house on anyone...*cough*).

I've seen one stage production of it, but always wanted to see a big stage production since the one I saw was done by amateurs...very good amateurs I hasten to add, but still not a professional team of actors. I'd love to see how they have people (and the house) flying - I know there are ways...strings and such but it's still always interesting to see - for me at least. And I want to see a really scary portrayal of the Wicked Witch of the West since she's supposed to be really scary and I've yet to see one to match the film's depiction of her.

Isabella Delancy's Profile Send Private Message Isabella Delancy's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Jacqueline | Gender: Female | Posts: 17 | Roses: 12
Old 12-16-2007 at 12:11 AM
Jacqueline L'e Phantome
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [25]

Ive seen it but i like Wicked better
Jacqueline L'e Phantome's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Jennifer | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 481 | Roses: 10
Old 07-19-2008 at 04:01 PM
angelgirl
Wandering Child
Nobody's Home.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [26]

I was a Munchkin and a Monkey in our local theatre's production of this back in 2000 and I had a blast! This is a really wonderful musical!
(Of course, I'm still small enough to be one!)
A.G.

Thanks to the wonderful Tiannaangel for my sig!
angelgirl's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Seren | Gender: Nonbinary/androgyne | Age: 28 | Posts: 1,031 | Roses: 10
Old 07-19-2008 at 09:37 PM
xXphantomaddictedXx
Wandering Child
Dial A For Alan.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [27]

Oh, wow! I cannot believe I did not see this thread earlier! *smacks head in disbelief*

Anyway, I have seen the movie at least a hundred times, if not more than that, because The Wizard of Oz was my favorite movie when I was seven-and-a-half and eight. My favorite character was (and still is) the Tin Man.

I also had the luck to see it performed live in July of 2004, when my city's theater did a production of it. Also, in October of 2004, another theater in my city did a production of the show. This one was special because one of the original Lollipop Kids from the movie (his name is Jerry Maren) was signing autographs before the show! And I was lucky enough to get one!

I do agree that "The Jitterbug" is a great song. It's right up there on my list of favorites along with "If I Only Had A Heart." :D

There are many bodies of water in this world;

Yet none would quench my thirst for you.
xXphantomaddictedXx's Profile Send Private Message xXphantomaddictedXx's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote