Name: Lia | Gender: Female | Age: 24 | Posts: 703 | Roses: 74
Old 05-15-2008 at 12:36 PM
tiannangel
Wandering Child
S.S. Defense Squad

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
A sudden thought...  Post [1]

This randomly struck me one daay while reading a couple of fanfictions.

Some people tend to think Raoul is a fop, in other words a man with a obsession with his clothes/appearance.

Yet it struck me that even though Raoul is impeccably dressed, that Erik seems to worry about his appearance as well?

In the movie, he's always got really good clothes on, and the way he dressed up for the Bal Masque was definitely a very complex costume.

Now don't kill me, I love Erik, but I just though it was odd to have him calling Raoul a "slave of fashion" when he chooses his own clothes so throughly.

What do you think?

Our love is like a Rose...Beautiful while in bloom, but it can not last forever.

~Shameless Self Advertising~

~Banners by the wonderful Kearyn, Rose and me. XD~
tiannangel's Profile Send Private Message tiannangel's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Lizzie | Gender: W-O-M-A-N | Age: 28 | Posts: 2,248 | Roses: 0
Old 05-15-2008 at 01:08 PM
Night feather
Wandering Child
Puppet Master

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2]

Well I think in this case you have to look at the musical for what it is - a musical. Things do tend to, have to perhaps, be a bit over the top, it's a bit camp really, larger than life.

I mean, in real life Erik would never be able to keep his clothes as immaculate as they are in the movie, he lives in a damp cave after all. So I don't really think you should put that much thought into it.

Repress And Restrain. Steal The Pressure And The Pain

Wash The Blood Off Your Hands. This Time She Won't Understand
Night feather's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Nichol | Gender: female | Age: 26 | Posts: 102 | Roses: 10
Old 05-16-2008 at 12:22 AM
nikki.phan
Wandering Child
~Mrs. Erikdoesnthavealastname~ xD

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3]

I agree with Lizzie.

When i read the book, Raoul seemed more of a slave of fashion than Erik. I took it that Erik didn't really care as much. but maybe i'm the only one who got that impression
nikki.phan's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 05-16-2008 at 01:21 AM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4]

Ho, ho Viktoria's turn!

I see what ya'll are saying, but keep in mind that the definition of a fop is:

A man who is preoccupied with and often vain about his clothes and manners; a dandy

Erik is definitly preoccupied with his apearance, but is all too far from vain. Also, he has a right to be worried about the way he looks (deformity?). Raoul is not a fop, but he has more of a right to be vain about his appearance because he's handsome. Again, not a fop. I also don't see how having nice or rich clothes makes you a fop either. It never mentioned once in the book about how "Raoul fled into Christine's dressing room frantically searching for evidence of her presense He passed the mirror stopped, looked at himself, and blew kisses", honestly.

Bottom line is, the word 'fop' is more used as an insult than anything so it does not describe either of the gentlemen at all.
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Nichol | Gender: female | Age: 26 | Posts: 102 | Roses: 10
Old 05-17-2008 at 10:54 PM
nikki.phan
Wandering Child
~Mrs. Erikdoesnthavealastname~ xD

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Countess View Post
It never mentioned once in the book about how "Raoul fled into Christine's dressing room frantically searching for evidence of her presense He passed the mirror stopped, looked at himself, and blew kisses", honestly.
haha! okay. i understand what you're saying
nikki.phan's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 05-23-2008 at 05:01 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6]

my two sense in category form (due to lack of sleep):

Raoul's reason for being dressed like so:
He's a viscomte, afterall. I don;t thin Raoul really cared how he looked as long as he had clothes on. I think is was more Philippe's doing at Roaul's dress. Also, he was usually seen or read at the opera house. When you go to the opera house (espescially then), it was correct to wear nice clothes and practiacally a rule. Roaul wasn't the only one who dressed like that, we must remember.

Erik's reasoning:
Like I stated above about opera houses. He lived in one... It might have been best if he dressed that way. He would probabally feel as if he fit in more if he dressed as those around him.
Aaaannnnd.... HELLO! Deformity, people. If someone has low self-esteem* (like Erik), they would probabally dress better so that they felt better.

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote