The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera Grand Stage Productions The Paris Opera House The Eighteenth District
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: MystMoonstruck aka Cyn | Gender: REDHEAD! | Posts: 5,059 | Roses: 235
Old 07-10-2011 at 12:12 AM
MystMoonstruck
Wandering Child
House Patron
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Dorian's Domicile~~~Dorian Grayson  Post [1]

Dorian's Domicile

For the first time in his 23 years, Dorian Grayson (now 24) has something resembling a home of his own~a gift (on-loan, that is) from his mentors, a married couple of grifters who long ago took the adolescent guttersnipe under their wings and remain in contact with him. Now conducting their Italian "tour" (all of those pigeons waiting to be clipped...), they sent their floating domicile to "The Man of a Thousand Names" in Paris. {Cue music: "Home, home on the Seine..."}

Far from its home in the waters of warmer climes, the kerala houseboat aka kettuvallam will endure inclement weather on the Seine but is built to take it. This craft is about 40 feet in length and has a width of about 10 feet in the middle; it has an upper level for storage and for the occasional guest who isn't~ahem~involved with Dorian. While not overly luxurious, this certainly is a notch above the average. There is a relatively spacious living room, the master bedroom, a guest room (above), a kitchen, and a bathroom with a shower stall; for the bathroom area, there is concrete flooring with ceramic finish, and ceramic tiles decorate the ceiling and other places inside the craft. The second level is used for storage, that guest room, and a skillfully fashioned hideout in case there is a need to "fly under the radar". An especially picturesque touch: There is a deck balcony at the roof level on either side. The decor reflects the area of the world where these boats are common, particularly Egypt, making for exotic surroundings. The interior will be undergoing some decorating changes, of course, as Dorian adds his own touches. NOTE: The prow is more elongated, and there is a larger opening at the front, where there is a lounge area (though it's not quite as open as in the first two pictures provided).

Composition of the craft: Materials that go into the making of a kettuvallam are bamboo poles, coconut fiber, ropes, bamboo mats, carpets, etc. The hull is a series of wooden planks, long cut and carved, tied together using coir with more coconut fibers stuffed in between. The hull, which is made of hundreds of fine but heavy-duty planks of Jackwood, is held together by coir knots. Not a single nail is used! This framework is coated with a caustic black resin extracted from boiled cashew kernels and lasts for generations. The kettuvallam is motorized but can be steered with poles. Bamboo beams sprouting off on the sides are used as foot holds for the same. Bamboo is used for the framework of the roof, and splits of bamboo are used for weaving mat for roofing. A plank is laid throughout the length to reduce any disadvantages of the curved shape of the hull for walking and comfortable seating. The entrance is front and center, with an opening in the back of the boat that is kept covered most of the time.

Here are some images:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...EBOATDECK2.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...SEBOATDECK.jpg
Dorian's bedroom:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...DROOMWHITE.jpg
Most of the interior is decorated with items the owners obtained throughout their travels:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...tinterior2.jpg
Part of the upper level resembles this though better-decorated:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...atinterior.jpg
The kitchen:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...DKITCHEN-1.jpg
The bathroom:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...HEONETOUSE.jpg
Here's a video of various houseboats:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abn6S...eature=related

I'm still trying to find a layout I can use. Unfortunately, I can't sketch, scan and import anymore, so I just have to do some research and perhaps wing it. I owe the details of construction to Wikipedia though I might be the only one to find them fascinating. *giggle* I will be searching for more interior images.

MystMoonstruck's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014 at 10:35 AM
MystMoonstruck
Wandering Child
House Patron
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2]

Dorian Grayson

How many times had he made the rounds of his home noting preparations for the party to come? Music had been programmed into the system for a steady flow ranging from "mood music" to various dance tunes, several of each pace, with no major breaks from mellow to manic. The level would match most clubs though without the intensity that drowned out conversation. If there was a need for a quieter place, there were the outer corridors, where the curious could push back window covers to witness Paris bringing in the New Year. The ensuing chill would provide an excuse for cuddling and caressing~shared bodily warmth as the exotic Russian spy had informed her British counterpart. The servers and other workers were friends of his, and they had strict instructions to keep sticky fingers away from the guests. They could flirt and rub shoulders (or whatever part of the anatomy they fancied), but they were as honor-bound as their type could be to do no lifting and separating. He had enough control of them~so he hoped~that he could give the aura of a well-to-do but rather bohemian gentleman who had decided to greet 2014 among a glittering crowd, very few of them aware of who he was or what part he had in their daily lives. There would be a sprinkling of guests not from Opera Populaire, just to provide variety. He knew of only a few who would recognize him on sight, and it was unlikely for anyone to compare notes as to their host's identity.

Chinese lanterns were just part of the decorations, echoing the golden glow that emanated from the kerala houseboat when lit from within, both with candles and subdued lighting. A table spread with a golden damask cloth practically creaked under the platters of finger foods of a mindboggling variety, surely varied enough to suit anyone. There was even an open bar, manned by a couple of his stunning friends~twins with Titian hair and pale grey eyes who could dazzle with a routine to rival those Hollywood bartenders~the names of whom escaped him at the moment. So, his guests would be fed, watered and entertained. Wasn't that all that a party should be?

Mystery, of course, was an additional element, as guests had been asked to come costumed and masked. He was curious as to what would transpire, having experienced such events at the OH, where he had been somewhat of a trespasser. Would they have invited a mere janitor~custodian, if one wished to sound a trifle superior?

For himself, it was a curiously simple choice: white silk shirt worn open, the cuffs unbuttoned, white linen trousers and~dangerously~bare feet, which he might regret once the celebration began. On his thick, black, unruly hair, he wore a wreath of holly and mistletoe. His half-mask was as simple: white with edges like icicles spoking out. For now, he wore a floor-length cape of white velvet, lined with black~quite dashing and meant to be cast aside when he revealed his attire, which certainly would be outdazzled by everyone else. He speculated that he would be able to move throughout the crowd without receiving the notice he might have if he had worn something more flamboyant. Would his ruse work? After all, no one knew who the host was, having simply been given an address.

Pleased with the preparations, Dorian proceeded to the bow of the exotic-looking boat that had become his home. They had ensured that a bridge with railings was in place, not just a gangplank, so that anyone in costume should have no difficulty crossing over. It wouldn't do to have a guest plunge into the Seine, would it? Having assured himself of the stability of this pathway to the party, he withdrew slightly to the side shielded by draperies, seating himsef in a white wicker throne chair, his cape enfolding him, to await their arrival.

OOC: If you haven't seen the scene from "Cocktails", have fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyAxE2vS318 BIC:

Name: Natalia | Gender: Female | Posts: 2,742 | Roses: 50
Old 01-03-2014 at 12:01 PM
witch
Wandering Child
Lost,Alone,Unknown

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3]

Lashell Richards

As Lashell walked through the night of music filled joy laced with cheer on her way to what would be a masked party she once again debated with her choice of attire. The dress she wore was the most revealing she had ever worn having the fact that skin showed though covered in glittered flames hiding from passers by the scares less they come to close. Even the mask she wore was different than normal, her hair pulled back off her face, the first time in as long as she could remember. The costume however meant more to her then the shere worry of people running from the burnt girl and therefore making her give in though worry still bubbled.

She was dressed as fire...or as close to it as one could get fire having played another role in her life just a few weeks before at her brother's stable. It also helped the delusion that made her believe that if anyone DID truly see her burns they may think them as only part of her custom.

It had been Charles whom had told her about the party in hopes to cheer her up along with getting her out of the house the plan working though her brother was no where in sight as of yet, no doubt with his girlfriend whose birthday just happened to be today.

Lashell couldn't help but wonder if this was a good thing of not. Without her half brother would people think she was alone or simply a stranger or worse dare come close... an issue she still troubled with. Would someone she knew happen to be there? Just how many people DID she know at the Opera House and beyond? Did she even know the person whose party this was?

Remembering the details her brother had told her Lashell found the boat and crossed the line tween not only land and sea but also shadow and light, safety and well...what ever might come to be. Her worries soon turning to whether or not she suffered from seasickness, something that would without doubt call unwanted attention to herself and diminish her chances of fast getaways but her worries soon faded as she glanced around noting that she seemed to be the only guest having arrived, or at least the only one standing alone like a deer in headlights.

witch's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Heather | Gender: female | Posts: 83 | Roses: 10
Old 01-04-2014 at 03:10 AM
pyrate
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Samantha White  Post [4]

Samantha arrived at the docks as the sun was setting. Her glittering dress sparkled against the water. She had tied her hair back so that her mask would rest behind her ears.Taking a deep breath, she walked up the small bridge to the boat. It was magnificent. She had flown here and had never been on a boat in her life- let alone a boat that someone lived on. A woman stood on the boat already. Should she say hello? She wanted to find a bar because she was very nervous about her first party in Paris. She was looking for liquid courage and she hoped she found it before an attractive man approached her. Speaking of attractive men, her mind wandered to a certain man; Mr. Storm. He had warned her enough about dangerous people and then she got a mysterious invitation with only an address. Could this be his party? She stood quietly and adjusted her mask, with a quick glance back at the woman.

(This is her costume with fishnet tights)

Mask: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...pL._SY300_.jpg

Dress: http://image.dhgate.com/albu_3508113...tal-beaded.jpg

Shoes: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...l&tid=45640600
pyrate's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2014 at 03:14 AM
witch
Wandering Child
Lost,Alone,Unknown

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5]

Lashell Richards

The boat was stunning, breath taking really not that Lashell had much to compare it to. With all her years of swapping living arrangements she had never stepped foot on a 'large' boat. A small row boat that she and her 'brothers' had fished in sure but nothing like this.

It was in her silent looking around that she finally noticed the few people dotted around that didn't seem like they were guests making her wonder if she was meant to be friendly or not. Parties were not really her thing, the Christmas party of last year coming to mind still...how long could she stand in one place and not be noticed for the wrong reasons? In fact how long could she go unnoticed period?

"Hello my lady and welcome aboard, may I get you anything to drink?"

Not long it seemed.

Turning towards the voice Lashell tried to find her own.

"I um..." she breathed noting the bar at last and another women that seemed to be heading towards it. "Could I maybe just have some water?" she questioned walking over to one of the sofas near by passing this women along the way.

"Hello" she said softly as she passed her voice quite though hopefully friendly. If the girl decided to say anything back then Lashell would have to force herself to find her voice if not.... well she could go on hiding.

Old 01-07-2014 at 06:45 AM
pyrate
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6]

Samantha White

She turned hearing a small voice as she looked at the woman in front of her. Samantha stood still for a moment, she was sure to have the deer in headlights as well. Looking her over, she decided to be a friendly guest and thought it best to strike up a conversation. She secretly hoped that one of the men she had met at the Opera House might show up. Or even the mysterious Mr. Storm. She took a few more steps towards the woman and the bar. She regained her composure as she stopped at the bar. Leaning an elbow on the bar and smiling at the young man behind it.

"Hello," her smooth voice came out soft as well as she redirected her focus from the bartender back to the woman. She motioned to the two stools in front of her. She pulled her dress down, like a lady and sat gracefully. Speaking quietly to the bartender, he began to make her favorite: a screwdriver.
"Care for a drink? I believe we need more guests to show up for a more formal party, but we can at least relax without the vultures moving in on us." She smiled and extended a small hand. "I'm Samantha." Lifting her mask to let the woman peek at her ivory skin underneath. Perfect skin, with a little help of course, bright eyes and red lips completed her outfit for tonight. She hoped the woman would want to enjoy conversation so that they would not end up sitting and waiting for other guests to arrive.

Old 01-08-2014 at 03:53 PM
witch
Wandering Child
Lost,Alone,Unknown

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7]

Lashell Richards

For a moment, a short fleeting moment Lashell wondered if speaking out had been the right thing. Just a small yet simple 'hello' had once coursed fear and regret.

The women however, seemed to hear her soft seeming whisper. Turning toward her and it was in that moment that Lashell saw at least part of herself in the other women's eyes, the feeling of not belonging. This all to well known feeling didn't seem as deeply rooted in the women as it was in Lashell for when the women glanced her over Lashell's head lowered her inner soul once more trying to hide her left side the inner voice telling her that the women would notice her scares and not be fooled.

She only came out of the headlights when the women backed away giving Lashell a chance to both pull in breath and blink. Hearing more then seeing the girl head towards the bar and a short distance away for her which left her to wonder if the soft: "Hello" she spoke was aimed towards her or the man at the man behind the bar.

For a long time she keeped her gaze down though something made her move toward the bar maybe it being the fact that she hadn't gotten her water yet or... the sudden dry feeling in her thoart.

"Care for a drink? I believe we need more guests to show up for a more formal party, but we can at least relax without the vultures moving in on us."

Trying to force words out Lashell found herself only able to nod and give a small smile giving the impression that she was either rude or mute.

"I'm Samantha."

Glancing upwards Lashell saw Samantha's offered hand but just as she was about to receive it she noticed the girl lifting away her mask. The skin underneath was no doubt hinted in makeup for though Lashell could never truly get way with wearing the stuff god knew she had tired. The girl's skin was perfect bringing water to Lashell's eyes.

The offered hand was still however offered and a question had been asked the answer hanging in the air and brushing against Lashell's lips. Pulling in breath she finally said.

"I..I ordered a water but thankyou for thinking of me Samantha" she then took the women's hand and shook it gently greatful that tradionally it was right hands that shook.

"I...I...m..My names..."

She tried to form the letters but something held her back. The mask she wore? The masks she didn't wear? The fear of being found out?

"My names Phoenix" she stated at last.

Old 01-15-2014 at 03:20 AM
pyrate
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Samantha White  Post [8]

"What an interesting name!" Samantha genuinely complimented her. She smiled graciously at the girl and crossed her legs. "Do you know who's party this is?" She looked around at the staff hurrying like busy bees. "I just got an invitation with an address on it," she laughed lightly, "I thought it might be a joke!" The bartender carelessly sat down her drink and it spilled all over the bar and unto her dress. She quickly jumped up, but her outfit was still wet. She grabbed some napkins and muttering under her breath began to wipe down her dress. "That is unpleasant," she quickly smiled, trying to recover from the embarrassment, " No use crying over a spilled screwdriver." She sat on the opposite side of Phoenix, facing the room instead of the bar. Noticing her scars, she was slightly taken aback. Without saying a word, Samantha picked up her drink and took a sip. She did not want to offend this woman by asking her about them; they looked painful and not something that was a party conversation. "Any New Years Resolutions?" she asked politely.

Old 01-15-2014 at 05:47 AM
witch
Wandering Child
Lost,Alone,Unknown

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9]

Lashell Richards

She hadn't lied, not outright anyway just because her given name was Lashell didn't mean she lied.

"What an interesting name!" Samantha finally stated making Lashell glance to see if she could find any other tone or note that came along with the seemily genuine compliment.

"Thankyou" she replied simply.

"Do you know who's party this is? I just got an invitation with an address on it,"

Well it's more then what I got Lashell thought to herself about to answer the girl when drinks began to spill.

Jumping back a little she realized to late that the drink wasn't headed for her but for Samantha though it didn't stop a few drops landing on her scared arm.
Looking for napkins to help both herself and the girl Lashell only court the slight look that passed over Samantha's face.

"That is unpleasant,"

Her gaze quickly shoot up, wondering what the girl was talking about but it seemed (to Lashell at least) that it spoken words were aimed at the accident that had JUST happened, not the one from times long ago.

"No use crying over a spilled screwdriver."

To save face Lashell laughed softly, smiling gently quickly tending to the droplets and taking her seat aside from the other guest.

"Any New Years Resolutions?"

To make fire a friend and not an enemie

"No, not really. I haven't really thought about it much I more a....living in the past kind of person anyway. In answer to your other question though... My brother told me about the party didn't say whose it was aside from someone at works." she explained. "Which leads me to wonder where said person is."

With this her different coloured eyes looked around suddenly stopping in a somewhat shadowed area. A dark shape seemed to be sitting within the shadows, a form Lashell knew well.

"Would you excuse me for a moment? I'll be right back" she smiled one eyes within the darkness and one eye on the bar.

OCC: Just to be clear Lashell has spied Dorain.

Old 03-06-2014 at 08:43 AM
MystMoonstruck
Wandering Child
House Patron
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10]

OOC: I'm going to bring in Easy, just as a start. I'm not sure if Pyrate or anyone else is around. I'm floundering here, thinking that this might be a lost cause. I hope not! Maybe someone will respond, even if you bring in another character, Natalia. BIC:

Easy "Cat" Tanner

Easy stood in the shadows, beyond the mellow light cast by the decorations of this houseboat that was like nothing he had ever seen before. He had watched as a parade of brightly garbed people had approached laughing and chatting, obviously excited about the event, perhaps discussing the mystery of it all, as no one he had spoken to seemed to know anything about their host. They all were in the dark as much as he was. So, why was he hesitating to approach that bridge that arched over the waters of the Seine? For some reason, he had donned the Romeo costume he had last worn at Sanctuary's failure of a housewarming party. Lilith Eytinge~his Lily~had bid farewell at that unfortunate celebration, with Iah Raksha departing not long after. Did he think his costume worn to a real party would somehow banish those ghosts? Because he needed a security blanket~a phrase he had learned somewhere he no longer recalled~he had a tapestry bag slung across his back, within it his violin Azer. It's not as if he expected members of the press and an opportunity to "showboat". Where had he ever found the nerve to do that at a couple of events he'd never know. Perhaps he was "finding himself", yet another borrowed phrase. He still was torn a dozen ways about what he should be, who he really was, how he should act and dress, and whether or not he meant to shut out the world. Yes: He was a mess.

Scowling beneath the cat mask that left his lower face exposed, he decided that he might as well see this through. Perhaps like Romeo, he would meet someone new though he doubted that love would ever be in his stars. Where was that one from: in our stars. That was the correct phrase. Perhaps someone would know it. Someone here?

Taking a shaky breath, he left the shadows for the light and sounds, easily mixing into a new group crossing the bridge. For a moment, he pictured 1) slipping and plunging down into the dark, cold water; and 2) being denied entry on the other side. No. He had to go with a third possibility: He just might have fun! Looking around at the other costumes and fancy dress, he wondered if he already was out of place in his dark blue velvet and lighter blue satin. Well, maybe he would blend in, which might make it easier than if he wore something more daring, as he had done at several of the Opera House events. Once he started people-watching, he knew it would set him at ease.

Edging along between those on the outer part of the room and the dancers taking up the middle, he made his way to the bar, where he could get a drink in him as he sized up the others. Back home in LA, he might have been conscious of how others looked at him. In Paris, he had given up hope of being such an object. The bartenders~two amazing-looking redheads~were having a fine time entertaining everyone while responding to challenges to their skills. "Persovka?" he requested hopefully.

"Sorry," the young man responded. "Try again?" It was said in a pleasant, unhurried manner, and he found himself smiling in response though uncertain what he should try next.

"Ummm..." Now, he felt stupid, young and inexperienced~which he was. Still, he'd like to have seemed a teensy bit sophisticated in this crowd.

"You're Romeo," the man recognized, "so, how about a Cupid's Arrow? You like chocolate?" Easy nodded a bit too vigorously, which made him blush and hope that the mask covered most of it. "Cupid's Arrow it is."

Fascinated, Easy watched deft hands mix the concoction, thinking it was rather like a wizard creating a brew. Or, was that a witch? Was a wizard like a man-witch? He couldn't stifle the giggle that came with that since it reminded him of something Rafe Chancery sometimes enjoyed but which bugged the heck out of his partner: Manwich, a creation Chance said was a sloppy joe. It was sloppy all right! But, it wasn't all that bad~if you were really, really hungry.

"Cupid's Arrow," the bartender announced, setting it on a napkin in front of Easy. "Glad you liked the show." That was a relief! His embarrassing sounds had been written off as amusement for the show that had been put on for him. Thanking the man, with whom he'd been tempted to flirt for just a moment, he picked up his drink and headed for a place to stand. Already, the noise of the music and people were getting to him, and he drifted until he found a doorway. Curious, he pushed it open, chill air awaiting him as he stepped through to find himself in a sort of corridor. Closing the door, he wandered a bit until he found a seat. For the moment, he was alone, and it was much quieter. At last, he allowed himself to sip the drink~resulting in a blissful smile. It was good! Maybe tonight was off to a good start after all.

OOC: Easy is open to being approached by anyone~if anyone is around. BIC: