The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera Grand Stage Productions The Paris Opera House The Eighteenth District
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: J | Gender: Homo Sapien | Age: 35 | Posts: 2,176 | Roses: 0
Old 12-01-2010 at 05:37 PM
Daroga
Opera Manager
House Patron
Lead Discipline Cult of Sam

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Love Nest on the Seine  Post [1]

Apartment of Luc Danier and Phoenix Mercer

"Eight generations of our family have made their lives by the water..." Luc Danier probably didn't think that his girlfriend would take his father's words quite so much to heart when she moved back to Paris to set up an apartment for them after their impromptu European tour while he stayed in Marseilles to help his father organize his business. So little could he have expected that her "surprise" would be to discover that their home... floats. Moored along the banks of the Seine in the 5th district, the boat offers a view of the Eiffel Tower from its deck and within walking district of many of the major attractions of Paris.

The deck level of the boat has a comfortable sitting area flooded with light and a small more formal dining area with a view of the water and city lights. Down below is a cozy kitchen and TV area as well as an open floor planned bedroom and small guest room.

Max | Pieter | Polaris | Phoenix | Protagonist | I love Sam <3
<b><i>Daroga</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Super Samness | Gender: Wonder Woman | Age: 27 | Posts: 3,913 | Roses: 50
Old 12-02-2010 at 09:41 AM
Erik
Opera Manager
House Patron
Killer Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2]

Luc Danier

Luc Danier surveyed his new living space with a frown. It was beautiful. The area was classy, lots of real wood and open floor plans, and a spectacular view of the Siene... the only problem was that there wasn't just a great view of the river, it was on the river. What some might call a floating paradise, Luc called a floating death trap. Though his view was somewhat tainted by the fact that he was ridiculously seasick.

Yes, seasick.

His family had been in the shipping business for decades upon decades, and he was seasick.

He guessed it just showed how fickle fate was. And, of course, how removed he was from his family. He wondered how he could be starting his own when he had no experience as to the traditional concept of a family unit. He knew that logically Mom and Dad and two-point-four kids were supposed to live in harmony, but his idea of a family dispute in his childhood ended in Dad punching Mom out. He would never raise a hand to Phoenix, or any other woman, but the thought that these were his only examples of 'normal' family conversations were sarcasm and surliness and yelling made his blood run cold. How could he rise above it, be better than his upbringing, and be the man a father needed to be.

Maybe if he had known his real father before his twenties, maybe if he had known he had a brother before he had made it out from the streets, alive. Maybe maybe maybe, what was life but a pile of maybe's. He did know that he had the most versatile, independent woman in the world as his baby's mother, and that she would show him what to do logically. He knew what not to do from his own child. But what was the rest? Instinct?

Oh god he was going to be a father. He ran for the cramped washroom to empty his stomach, trying to blame it all on the seasickness but knowing that it was mainly due to his own doubts and fears.

"Phoenix...!" he called out meekly, "I hate this place!" hoping to incite an argument. Anything to take his mind off what was happening in his head. The problem was he really didn't. Except for how green around the gills he was, of course. He couldn't help but feel slightly ridiculous that his pregnant girlfriend was probably unpacking somewhere in the boat, yet he was the one sick in the bathroom. Oh well. He'd do something manly later to make up for it, like put up a bookshelf, or do something with spackle (whatever that was). "Why did we get a damned floating house?"

<b><i>Erik</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2010 at 10:10 AM
Daroga
Opera Manager
House Patron

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3]

Phoenix Mercer

Today was the day. This was the day she had been hoping for, planning, dreaming about, awaiting with such anticipation. Perhaps a woman in her "condition" should save those daydreams for the day her child was born or took their first steps. But for her it was today. Phoenix had been bouncing around the boat all day. She had called in to the Populaire, there really wasn't that much to be maintained that she couldn't tackle in a single afternoon anyway. Today Luc was coming home!

Phoenix felt like a school girl with a ridiculous crush. It was the sort of longing that was supposed to be held only for those that couldn't be had. But she had him. He loved her. She was carrying a person inside her that was half him. But still the idea that Luc Danier loved her as much as she loved him, as though that were physically possible, was intoxicating. Perhaps absence really did make the heart grow fonder. Or maybe it was hormones. Who the hell knew, who the hell cared. She had talked to him every day on the phone and been careful not to reveal the surprise she had set up for them. And today it would be revealed and she couldn't help but imagine that he would be anything less than thrilled. No one knew Luc like she did. No one understood him like she did. If their trip abroad had taught her nothing she had learned that at least. How thrilled would he be with their new house?! A man as protective of his privacy would love the fact that at any point they could simply un-moor their home and float away. There was no landlord, no authority to which to answer. And beyond that she knew how happy he was with his newly discovered family. They were going to be his shining light in the family they were about to start. His father had practically danced a jig at the idea of another grandchild. And hadn't it been that same father who had told her over, and over, and over, and over again just how connected his family was to the sea and the water. He was going to be SO thrilled and she was going to be thrilled to see it!

In anticipation of her love's big arrival Phoenix had even broken out of her comfort zone into one of the few areas where she was less than skilled. She frowned slightly as she pulled the frying pan from the oven and stared at the fish inside looking even more disgusting than they had freshly killed when she bought them from the local market. She hadn't quite believed that was possible. When she had called his brother, who lived locally, he had assured her that this was a recipe Luc's step mother used to fix almost weekly. He has assured her that it was as easy to prepare as it was eat, which begged the question of what kind of trial by fire the French considered digestion. Because she was honestly slightly concerned if even roaming mutts would consider this edible. Perhaps Luc's brother hadn't taken into consideration when he had made these claims that Phoenix was better prepared to fix the oven itself than an actual meal with it--

"Phoenix...!" The puzzled frown with which she had been staring into the frying pan in her hand instantly disappeared into a look of one caught by the boogeyman. He was home? Already?! She glanced at the clock, nope she was late--perhaps that explained what had happened to the fish maybe she had left it for too long in the-- "I hate this place!"

Phoenix's head snapped up so fast she almost dropped the pan in her head as she registered the sound of Luc's footsteps on the stairs headed straight for the small bathroom--or was it called a head on a ship, or was that only for the Navy? Wait? Had he just said he hated this place?!

Disappointment took a backseat to outright confusion as Phoenix began tromping through the bottom deck of the houseboat towards the sound of Luc losing his lunch. On the bright side, the fact she had ruined supper seemed negligible at this point. "Why did we get a damned floating house?"

Phoenix didn't bother to knock as she barged though the bathroom door still wearing her apron, the nice clothes (complete with short skirt she knew he liked) for the occasion underneath, and the frying pan in her hand still wafting fish ordors. "What do you mean you why? We got it for you? How can you hate it? You've only been her two minutes?!" Fear and outrage were starting to take over her tone and her attitude as his words sank in. "What's wrong with our house?!" she demanded indignantly.

<b><i>Daroga</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2010 at 07:24 PM
Erik
Opera Manager
House Patron
Killer Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4]

Luc Danier

When Luc heard Phoenix traipsing through the house to find him, he felt inexplicably a little bit better. They were together. They had each other. She was with him.

The independent, stubborn voice in Luc's head called him a whimp, but he paid no heed. He had an equally independent, stubborn woman to counteract a lot of those thoughts. He thought it was a good thing that he loved her in return, otherwise he'd be spending a lot of time either hiding from Phoenix as she attempted to make him love her, or hiding from Phoenix as she attempted to kill him.

Speaking of death by Phoenix, he thought as she entered the bathroom in the same way she had entered his life -- that is to say, whichever way she pleased and without being invited -- holding a frying pan. Mon Dieux, she's going to brain me with that thing was his first thought. Way to go, Luc. Anger the hot tempered pregnant woman while she's holding a weapon. Then he felt a fresh wave of nausea smack him like a two-by-four when he smelled whatever it was that had died in said pan.

"What do you mean you why? We got it for you? How can you hate it? You've only been her two minutes?!" The longer she asked question after question the more violent and -- dare he think it -- hurt she sounded. He immediately felt bad, but before he could diffuse the situation he emptied his stomach. Again. [b]"What's wrong with our house?!"[b] Trying to undo the damage he had caused, not wanting her to be actually hurt by his statement, he switched gears and donned a pitiful look. "I'm sick," he said, with as close to a pout as would ever show itself on his face. It was more like a grimace, really. "And I think it's the house's fault. This thing floats. Is that even safe for you while you're pregnant? What if it starts sinking?" He stood up wearily and took the pan from her.

He sniffed, then made a face. "What is this?" he asked, hoping to whatever high powers there were that she would not reply 'supper'. He wasn't sure even feral cats would fight over that in an alley. It smelled suspiciously like charred fish, which made him wonder if he should tell her that he didn't even like fish. Of any variety. Especially like that. "Can..." he hesitated, a little apprehensive because he knew she could do all kinds of damage to him with or without a frying pan, "can we order a pizza instead?" Then caught sight of her legs beneath the apron. Or skip supper?

Old 12-02-2010 at 07:53 PM
Daroga
Opera Manager
House Patron

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5]

Phoenix Mercer

There was a tirade on the tip of Phoenix's tongue. But there was nothing unusual about that. She had put alot of time and thought into her decision to acquire this apartment for them. Perhaps, only perhaps, in retrospect she had put alot of time into convincing herself of all the reasons Luc would love this apartment as much as she had the moment she had laid eyes on it. But she had reasons, lots of reasons that she had come up with for why he would. And she was more than prepared to explain them to him. He would love this home. Their home. Where they were going to make their family. Even if she had to spend the next several hours convincing him that he did. And that's what she was preparing to do when he looked up at her pitifully from his loving embrace on the toilet. "I'm sick," he said poutingly.

Phoenix was certain which part confused and startled her out of being irate more. The fact that she hadn't considered the possibility that he might have seasickness or the fact that he was pouting. She wasn't even aware he knew how to do that. Stunned for a moment Phoenix's heart literally panged at the thought of just how miserable he must actually be to look at her quite that pitifully. She'd seen him almost beaten to death and he hadn't looked that miserable. "And I think it's the house's fault." Phoenix's heart sank as the pan in her hand dropped slightly to her side. She didn't even register what the expression on her face must have been. Oh, god what had she done. "This thing floats. Is that even safe for you while you're pregnant? What if it starts sinking?"

Phoenix was still processing, trying to rationalize ways to fix the mess she was suddenly terrified she had created. She barely noticed as he took the pan from her hand. "What is this?" Luc asked he surveyed her handiwork. "Huh?" she said absent-mindedly, pulled back from her reeling thoughts slightly to glance down into the pan with him. She cringed slightly as she looked at it a new and realized that it was beginning to look even more disgusting as the grease in the pan cooled and congealed. The sight of it made her stomach flip and for a moment she thought he too might be hugging porcelain. "Can..." he said haltingly, "can we order a pizza instead?"

In spite of herself Phoenix snorted a chuckle. "Please God yes!" she said with a slightly miserable smile throwing her arms around his neck and burying her face in his chest for a moment. She pulled back slightly to glance up at him with a sheepish grin. "As long as we can get banana peppers on it," she said with a twinkle in her eye thinking of how good that tart taste would be right now. Phoenix sighed and stared up at him for a long moment quietly. "You didn't mean it right?" she said with trepidation, "You don't hate this place, right? I mean I know it floats," she said holding him even tighter and start to talk even faster as she usually did when she got excited or nervous, "but isn't that better than a boat that doesn't float? And your Dad had gone on and on about your family and the sea... I know that it requires a little more maintenance than most homes, but seriously who's better equipped to handle that than us? And I checked she's actually sea worthy. Wouldn't it be great someday when the baby's here to take a family vacation and actually sail to Marseille to see your family. I mean we could go where ever we wanted and--" she stopped and bit her lip slightly. "Please," she said in a sheepish and slightly pleading tone, "just tell me you don't hate it--yet at least..."

Old 12-02-2010 at 09:48 PM
Erik
Opera Manager
House Patron
Killer Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6]

Luc Danier

Luc could see, just see the words bursting to argue and fight and all that fun stuff fighting to get out, but it died on her tongue when he offered his most pitiful look, and told her why he was not head over heels with their new home. She offered nothing when he pointed out his two main concerns regarding their new accommodations to her, and he thought that perhaps he had hurt her feelings after all. Not something he had been trying to do, but as a male seemed to accomplish anyway. "Huh?" she had noted distractedly when he'd taken the pan from her, lost in thought, and he braced for her reaction. She surprised him with a laugh and an all encompassing hug, saying, to his great relief, "Please God yes! and he was struck with just how much he had truly missed her while in Marseilles, and this uneasiness added to his confusion of her reaction as she hid against his chest for a moment. He was not used to depending on anyone, needing anyone, missing anyone. Certainly not a woman. He had always been a lone wolf, counting on himself alone to feed himself, clothe himself, put a roof over his head. It had always been that way. And now here was this wonderful woman who had found a home for him. For them. For their growing family. The last echoed in his mind, and he pushed it down to focus on his partner, who was giving him topping instructions for their pizza.

"As long as we can get banana peppers on it," she told him, and he nodded at her request and said "Sure," even though he really didn't care for them because she was giving him that smile that he both loved and hated because it turned him soft and if she knew how it affected him he was sure she would use it all the time to get her way, because it would work all the time. Besides, he told himself, he was a man. He would eat anything. Except whatever it was that was in her frying pan.

She was silent for what could have been a moment, but felt like a lifetime. He wanted her to tell him that it was all okay, that they would just eat pizza and forget about all of this, but somehow he assumed that would not be the case. "You didn't mean it right?" she asked finally, her voice a bundle of nerves, sounding a bit scared to know the answer. "You don't hate this place, right? I mean I know it floats," she told him, her pace picking up as she built up steam, "but isn't that better than a boat that doesn't float?" He had to let out a huff of a laugh. Damned if she wasn't right. "And your Dad had gone on and on about your family and the sea... I know that it requires a little more maintenance than most homes, but seriously who's better equipped to handle that than us? And I checked she's actually sea worthy. Wouldn't it be great someday when the baby's here to take a family vacation and actually sail to Marseilles to see your family. I mean we could go where ever we wanted and--" She paused, and he felt his arguments slipping out of his grasp when she bit her lip and said "Please, just tell me you don't hate it--yet at least..."

He tried to tell her all of his arguments, every single complaint and gripe, but as he thought of them Phoenix's voice popped into his head with her obvious thoughts on the issue. We'll hear the water and the boats all day every day. It's better than the cars and yelling of the Parisians. The water's dirty. So are the streets and apartments. And we're not exactly taking a dip every Sunday. I don't want to be tied down to one place, I'm not used to it. So let's untie the rope and sail somewhere.

He almost argued for the hell of it, when his previous thoughts rang in his head. She's building a home for your family. You need roots for your child. He sighed, and reached down to kiss her forehead. "I don't hate it. It's new and makes me seasick. But I'm a Sauveur, technically, so I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough." He placed a hand on her belly, where the baby was forming. She wasn't even showing yet. "Besides, we'll need the space soon." His lips twitched at the thought of a little baby trying to walk while the boat rocked him or her. And was assaulted by the thought of a baby girl with big brown eyes and her smile and their stubborn determination, and the breath left him. God help him if they had a girl. He thought he was a pushover for Phoenix...

He was doomed.

"When were you talking to my father?" he asked her absent mindfully as he rifled through a box on the bathroom floor, looking for his toothbrush. He felt a little more settled and thought he'd be safe for a while. They had paid a quick visit to Marseilles on their whirlwind trip around Europe, but he thought she'd have mentioned it if she had been involved in a serious one on one chat with Phillip Sauveur. "'e should prolly go see 'im soon an' tell him 'bout the baby," he said around his toothbrush. He finished, rinsed, and set the toothbrush on the sink. "Jean too." He wondered just how the Sauveur men would react, as he had opted not to tell them right away when it was still so new to both of them during their visit.

Old 12-03-2010 at 12:43 AM
Daroga
Opera Manager
House Patron

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7]

Phoenix Mercer

If there was one thing that Phoenix Mercer and Luc Danier had in common, it was the ability to argue. That wasn't to say that they were necessarily experts at winning or being exceedingly calm or logical. But they were both pros at being stubborn and sticking with their own view points nearly on pain of death. So for a brief moment Phoenix was actually afraid that Luc would stick with his protest over her choice of accommodations. And if he did then she would, in turn, have to as well. A fight would ensue, no doubt. Then they would have done at least one of the two activities that she had no doubt they would christen their new home with (and if the fight proceeded as they usually did it would most likely lead to the other). She felt herself taking a deep breath through her nose preparing herself for the possibility of her oncoming protest to her arguments.

Instead Luc simply sighed, she tilted her head forward as he bent down to kiss her on the forehead and shut her eyes for a moment relishing the familiarity of it and how nice it was not to have to simply remember it, but once again feel it. "I don't hate it. It's new and makes me seasick. But I'm a Sauveur, technically, so I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough." With her head still bent Phoenix indulged in a small victorious smile, glancing back up to him as his hand reached out to put his hand over her still invisible baby bump. "Besides, we'll need the space soon." Phoenix smiled broadly content with the thought of filling the space. She was excited about the baby but over the last few weeks without him she had been growing more and more nervous. Not he was hear and though she had never been one to think that she couldn't take care of herself, she had to admit that she felt safer now, more confident that things would work out the way they should.

Phoenix was tempted to pull him back just to indulge in a few more moments of a hug as he moved towards the box of his stuff. Instead she wrapped her arms around herself and leaned against the door frame watching him produce his toothbrush and go about the business of removing the evidence of his queasiness from his breath. "When were you talking to my father?" he asked her innocently and for a moment she was glad he had his back to her as she paled slightly. "'e should prolly go see 'im soon an' tell him 'bout the baby," he said commented as he scrubbed his teeth with the brush, "Jean too." Phoenix pressed her lips together and nodded absentmindedly glancing down at her the ballet flats she wore, twisting the toe of her left foot into the hardwood.

"Erm... Luc," she began haltingly, "Yeah, I've been meaning to tell you..." Phoenix glanced up at him with a sheepish smile. "You remember when we went to your Dad's house?" Without waiting for him to reply she went on quickly, "Well that first night I got up to get a glass of water and I sorta ran into him in the kitchen..." Phoenix began twisting the finger of one hand in the palm of her other. She dreaded this. Not because she felt she had done anything wrong, just because she knew how militantly private Luc could sometimes be. "We talked for a long time. Actually he talked I mostly listened. He talked about you, and your Mom, and your step Mom, and the family, and his school.... Please don't be mad. I wasn't going behind your back or anything he's just..." She smiled bemusedly, "He's so friendly. And I didn't even ask him to have your brother call and check on me when I got to Paris... he did that on his own..." This was a moment she had been both anticipating and dreading. Talking to Luc's family so much had felt more than a bit deceptive. Especcially when she admitted to herself that she had been avoiding telling him because she didn't want him to tell her to stop. But at the same time it had been nice to feel so included and accepted. These people were going to be her child's family and by proxy hers as well. And their kindness meant all the more that they had extended it without even knowing that fact. Now all that remained to be seen was if Luc would see it as the good sign that she did and not as a massive invasion of his well-protected privacy.

Old 12-03-2010 at 02:02 AM
Erik
Opera Manager
House Patron
Killer Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8]

Luc Danier

One of the things that Luc Danier loved about Phoenix was that she was always ready for a fight. If she felt threatened, challenged, or just plain in the mood, she'd destroy you before she even really took her claws out. Luckily he could take it as well as he could give it, and she made a good match for him. He did not, however, want to upset her today of all days. Seeing each other for the first time in a while, in their new home. He was especially cautious now that he had read up on pregnancy. Too much stress could be bad for the developing person inside of her. That was why when she said "Erm... Luc," in a tone that he knew spelled trouble, he did not automatically go on the defensive. He may have held his breath a little in anticipation of whatever she was going to tell him when she said "Yeah, I've been meaning to tell you..." while terrible things flashed through his head (There's something wrong with the baby. You're not the father. I don't think we should have this child.) but he did not immediately anger. He waited with, he thought, the patience of a saint, given all that was going through his mind.

"You remember when we went to your Dad's house?" Luc said nothing, and probably wouldn't have even if she had given him the chance. Listenlistenlistenthenreact he told himself ferociously. "Well that first night I got up to get a glass of water and I sorta ran into him in the kitchen..." As she fidgeted nervously, Luc's mind ran away with all sorts of clandestine run-ins his girlfriend and his father had gotten into. He knew logically that the very idea was ridiculous, but after a lifetime of hardship he found it hard to accept anything as perfect. If it was too good to be true, it usually was. And yet, he had never doubted her before this moment. "We talked for a long time. Actually he talked I mostly listened. He talked about you, and your Mom, and your step Mom, and the family, and his school.... Please don't be mad. I wasn't going behind your back or anything he's just..." Luc closed his eyes, waiting for the words to continue. Please, anything but that... "He's so friendly. And I didn't even ask him to have your brother call and check on me when I got to Paris... he did that on his own..."

He waited for her to continue. And when she didn't, he slowly opened his eyes, and turned to face her. She was done. That's all she wanted to tell him... that she and his family talked? And apparently at length? There was nothing devious or underhanded about that at all. Well, she didn't tell him about it beforehand or during, until now, but for no apparent reason.

It then dawned on him that he was the reason. He was a private man. In his life, if you showed any weaknesses, or let anyone into your life in any significant way, it was trouble. The streets were ruthless and unforgiving. Jean was the first real person he had come to trust. Followed by Phillip and, reluctantly, Polaris (though he was still weary of the kid who was so different from anyone he had ever met). Then Phoenix. Only his family were to be trusted. He'd taken his trust-no-one rule incredibly seriously until he'd realized that he had a family, and now he had a unit. A little unusual, given Jean's past profession, his gypsy son, his father who had sired him illegitimately, and this wonderful drifter who had a family in Australia but had chosen to wander as she felt fit until she'd found him. And yet, no one had mentioned it to him that they were all talking pleasantly, because of how he might react. Didn't they know how important they were to him? How he was glad that the most important people, the only important people, in his life were getting along so well.

"You had me worried, Phoenix," he said when he finally spoke, sounding a little tired. "You're so nervous. I kept thinking you were about to tell me something terrible. I'm happy you get along with them. But... why didn't tell me?" He slipped his hands in his pockets with two intentions. One, to look more casual, and the other to finger the velvet box in his pocket. He had intended to give her the contents tonight, and ask her the big question, but felt his courage fading rapidly. He was sure that she would think it was because of the baby. And now, with two near fights under their belt in a matter of minutes, he couldn't take it if she said no. So he'd wait, wait until it was the perfect time, and he was sure she understood his intentions. "It's good that you're friends with my father, with my brother." He swallowed the bitterness that it had been hidden from him easily because this was so much better than what he had been thinking she would tell him.

Old 12-03-2010 at 05:11 AM
Daroga
Opera Manager
House Patron

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9]

Phoenix Mercer

For all the times that Phoenix had been called overly aggressive and assertive, for all the times she had been told just how vicious she could be when angered, this was the flip side of that coin. As she stood there in the doorway of the bathroom nervously playing with her hands and finding it impossible to stand still there was a knot growing in her stomach that had nothing to do with her condition. She didn't know why she was so afraid he would get angry, really. Sure there was a list of reasons she could rattle off for why she felt so guilty and nervous about broaching this topic with him. But in the end she knew that she hadn't done anything wrong. So why, as each second slowly ticked by of agonizing silence did she feel so much like the world was about to cave in on her head in the form of Luc's well matched temper. If he did get mad there was really nothing she could say or do to defend herself. At the end of the day all he had to do was say she should have told him and she would have no defense. But more than fear of taking blame or making him angry she knew that she was desperately afraid that he would tell her that he didn't want her talking to his family. And out of respect she'd have to oblige. Phoenix couldn't stand to think of that door closing to her. This far from her own family she had some how, in the last few weeks, come to enjoy the feeling of acceptance and support more than she realized. Not to mention how much it would hurt to think of Luc closing her out of such an important part of his life.

When he finally turned to face her, Phoenix attempted a reassuring grin. But given that she was chewing nervously on her bottom lip it came out as more of a grimace. "You had me worried, Phoenix," Luc said finally and Phoenix found herself frozen in place. That was it? He wasn't mad? It almost seemed to much to hope for. "You're so nervous. I kept thinking you were about to tell me something terrible." Phoenix's brow furrowed slightly. She had supposed that talking to people in his private life without his knowledge or consent was exactly what he would find horrible. What else could he have thought she was going to say? As soon as she thought the question she knew without guessing what the answer was. Eww. Luc's father was friendly enough and in good shape for his age, but seriously... yuck. His brother on the other hand wasn't quite what she would deem gross, though at almost 20 years her senior he was still pushing it. But considering she highly doubted the man had ever gotten his hands dirty in his life or would know what to do with himself without a fine suit or expensive luxuries, he was so far from her type that it was in fact laughable. And in fact the very idea of it made her smirk slightly. Yeah, like she was kinda girl to go all Anna Nicole with a super old dude or his spoil playboy son. "I'm happy you get along with them. But... why didn't you tell me?"

The slight smirk on her face faded quickly at the slight hurt in his tone as he slipped his hands into his pockets in a manner she assumed was meant to be casual but instead seemed resigned. One of these day, hopefully before their own child was old enough to enter college, they cold manage to have an entire conversation without one of them sticking their foot in their mouth. But today didn't seem to be that day, and this turn to chew shoe was apparently her own. "It's good that you're friends with my father, with my brother." he reassured her in a manner that she didn't for an instant believe.

Phoenix was momentarily so lost for words that she considered saying something rude just to break the tension with a fight. At least then she would have a better idea what to do. Instead she opted instead for an opposite tactic. Crossing the small bathroom in a single stride she slipped her hands easily under his arm and her own hands into the back pockets of his jeans. "I'm glad you think so," she said with a teasing smile, "because for a second there I was afraid you were going prohibit me from talking to your Dad. I mean I can see why you'd be afraid that I wouldn't be able to control myself around him. I mean everything about a hundred year old man who's half nutty professor and half reminds me of Santa Claus screams sex..." she said in a tone dripping with sarcasm. She flashed him a look that was half knowing (the way her mother used to look at her father when she explained why some of his wilder theories were in fact insane), part mocking, and part fake scowl, before breaking into a chuckle and shaking her head at him. Phoenix slipped her hands out of his back pockets and pulled one of his own from the front, leading him out of the bathroom that still smelled vaguely of his revisited lunch and out into the sitting room.

"I'm sorry we didn't tell you," she said as nonchalantly as she could muster while her mind spun to think up a good reason on the spot. Because we think you're a paranoid and would have freaked out at the idea of us talking about you didn't quite seem to convey the reassurance she was hoping to muster. Phoenix plopped down on the couch and pulled her feet up underneath you. "I just didn't want you to think I was somehow trying to go around you to get to know them," she said with a shrug. That was more than partly true. She wanted to know his family, but even more she wanted him to want her to know them. "I mean I think--" she hesitated for a moment realizing that she really did want to explain this to him, but even if Luc hadn't been super protective of his privacy, meddling in his family issues might be pushing it. Phoenix heaved a sigh and decided that trying to keep herself from saying what she thought might be a bit like trying to hold back a waterfall with a paper cup, so best to rip off the bandage and get it out. "I think he just wants to know you but is afraid to ask too much because he feels guilty that he wasn't there..." she had spewed it out so quickly it nearly came out as a single word and she cringed slightly when she was done, pushing on before he could think she was trying to pry too much. "And your brother, well I think he was just watching out for me since I got here because... Well he just seems a little paranoid and over protective," she said with a dismissive shrug. "He's a little odd, isn't he? Don't get me wrong, he's really nice and so refined I bet he could make a fart seemed dignified... he's just a little... strange." Phoenix shook her head as though to dismiss the thought and reached out and said reassuringly, "Wait til you meet my family though, you don't know what weird is until you've talk philosophy with my Dad. But if you do ever try it... definitely try one of his brownies first. Trust me... he'll make more sense if you do."

Old 12-05-2010 at 09:46 PM
Erik
Opera Manager
House Patron
Killer Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10]

Luc Danier

"I'm glad you think so," Phoenix said of his opinion on her friendship with the men in his family, though he panicked slightly when she put her hands in his back pockets for fear that if she moved to the front ones she'd find the box that he really didn't want her to see in that moment, "because for a second there I was afraid you were going prohibit me from talking to your Dad. I mean I can see why you'd be afraid that I wouldn't be able to control myself around him. I mean everything about a hundred year old man who's half nutty professor and half reminds me of Santa Claus screams sex..." Luc snorted out a laugh at the ridiculousness of her sarcasm. Though secretly he was always just a bit afraid that she would wake up the next morning and realize that she, the very definition of a free spirited individual, had chosen to take up with him, the epitome of surliness who like a true Frenchman had absolutely zero desire to relocate. Ever. He expected her to pack her bags every time she got fed up with his attitude or outlook or him in general, which had to happen more than he knew about. The bickering aside. Though he supposed they wouldn't really be them without the fighting and arguing. He could say one thing for their relationship: they would never be bored. Still, this deep seated insecurity bit at him at the most unexpected moments, though he knew she had given no outward sign of wanting something else, someone else. And if she knew how often he'd thought of it she would hit him and tell him not to be so foolish. She wasn't shy by any stretch of the imagination. She'd see any problem with their relationship not as an excuse to leave, but as an opportunity to make it better.

She was a real little Ms. Fix-it in every aspect of her life.

He didn't have time to dwell on it though because she was giving him another one of her looks, and he wanted to grab her and make them both forget his silliness, but she was moving away and all he could do was follow obediently. "I'm sorry we didn't tell you," she told him as she curled up on the couch, and he stood in front of her, hands still in his pockets because he was uncomfortable and didn't know what to do with them. "I just didn't want you to think I was somehow trying to go around you to get to know them," "It's all right," he told her, and it was, really. Peanuts compared to what he's had to deal with in his life. But he wasn't entirely okay with not knowing what they talked about. Him? Her? He wanted to know her better, he guessed. You can get real close to a person bouncing about Europe with them, but how much did they really know about each other? He was hard pressed to think of her favourite colour. Weren't those things supposed to be important in relationships?

Anyways, he really could have been more open on the whole get-to-know-everyone front, he guessed. But it seemed like everything had happened so fast -- too fast. A date then a kiss then a tour of the continent as they hid from a madman... and now pregnancy. It didn't make him feel any less for her in recognizing that it had happened so quickly, but it did make him a bit possessive. He wanted to be with her as much as he possibly could and he hadn't been looking forward to sharing her with his family. His reasons seemed few and weak when he was forced to examine them, so he didn't. He just focused on her again instead. "I mean I think--" Her hesitation stilled his heart again, and he felt himself holding his breath. "I think he just wants to know you but is afraid to ask too much because he feels guilty that he wasn't there..." The impact of her words had hit him like a sucker punch. His father had talked to her about him that way? When they were together Luc avoided the subject of himself, not because he didn't want Phillip to know him out of any deeply rooted resentment, but because he had nothing to be proud of. Nothing to show for himself in his past. Now it was a bit different, now he had made a steady living for himself and had a wonderful girl and no one knew it yet but he would have another grandchild for him to surely spoil. But there weren't many pleasant things to discuss when you ran away so young and lived on the streets almost all your life. He had done things he was not proud of. He had been a runner for drugs, he had sold them for a while. He had done many, many things that he would regret, should he allow himself to, for some of the seediest characters in Paris. In between all of that he had made himself enough money to live by honing his skills as a professional thief. He had no choice. He could not reflect back and forgive himself, but he could not chastise himself either. He was justified to himself, but how could he tell all of that, all of these devious acts that had a hand in making him who he was today and expect to be accepted? For he knew that if he looked into the eyes of his father and saw disappointment... how he could not bare it. He exhaled slowly, and silently, trying not to call attention to himself.

"And your brother, well I think he was just watching out for me since I got here because... Well he just seems a little paranoid and over protective," Luc's lips twitched at her opinion of Jean Sauveur, ex-professional hit man. "He's a little odd, isn't he? Don't get me wrong, he's really nice and so refined I bet he could make a fart seemed dignified... he's just a little... strange." Luc really had to hold back the laughter. Yes, he expected that when you did what Jean did for a living, it would turn you a little 'strange'. He wanted to tell her, and to explain, but he felt that it was best that she talk to Jean about it. He had a way of explaining these things so that they seemed perfectly natural. He bet Jean could make professional killer sound like 'corporate lawyer'. "Wait til you meet my family though, you don't know what weird is until you've talk philosophy with my Dad. But if you do ever try it... definitely try one of his brownies first. Trust me... he'll make more sense if you do." This time Luc did laugh, and removed his hands from his pockets as he sat down beside her on the couch. "Phoenix, my dear..." he told her, "We are going to have the most ridiculous child in existence. Between my genes and yours, let's just hope he or she gets the good stuff." He cleared his throat a little nervously. "Uhm... ah, what exactly have you told your parents about me?" he asked, knowing that there was little about him that she did not know or hadn't been able to infer. He hardly thought that Mr. and Mrs. Mercer would be impressed by the foreign man with no childhood and a life as a street rat. And when she told them she was pregnant by him... "And do I really have to meet them? Can't we just... skip that part?" The idea of her parents terrified him.