The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » Grand Stage Productions » The Paris Opera House » The Eighteenth District
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: MystMoonstruck aka Cyn | Gender: REDHEAD! | Posts: 5,059 | Roses: 235
Old 07-08-2011 at 11:37 AM
MystMoonstruck
Wandering Child
House Patron
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [91] »

Username: MystMoonstruck
Character name: Dorian Grayson
Character age: 23
Desired domicile: Dorian's kerala houseboat aka kettuvallam is about 40 feet in length and has a width of about 10 feet in the middle; it has an upper level for storage and for the occasional guest who isn't~ahem~involved with Dorian. There also is a balcony on either side. All doors and the balconies have canvas or built-in covers. Dorian's houseboat is a smaller version of the much-larger tourist boats; it has one bedroom, a guest room, a kitchen, a bathroom, and a shower stall. The living room is relatively spacious, and there is a deck balcony at the roof level on either side. For the bathroom area, there is concrete flooring with ceramic finish. The decor reflects the area of the world where these boats are common, making for exotic surroundings. {I have to admit that I'm not certain about the dimensions, just that it is a fairly large boat.}

About the kerala houseboat: Materials that go into the making are bamboo poles, coconut fiber, ropes, bamboo mats, carpets, etc. The hull is a series of wooden planks, long cut and carved, tied together using coir with coconut fibers stuffed in between. The hull, which is made of hundreds of fine but heavy-duty planks of jack-wood, is held together by coir knots; not a single nail is used. This framework is coated with a caustic black resin extracted from boiled cashew kernels and lasts for generations. The kettuvallam is motorized and is steered in deep waters by means of oars. Long bamboo poles or punts are used to propel in shallow areas. Bamboo beams sprouting off on the sides are used as foot holds for the same. Bamboo is used for the framework of the roof, and splits of bamboo are used for weaving mat for roofing. The height of the roof was increased to get sufficient headroom. A plank was laid all through the length to reduce disadvantages of the curved shape of the hull for walking and comfortable seating. Windows and other openings are provided for light, airflow and view. The entrance is front and center, with an opening in the back of the boat that is kept covered most of the time.

Here are some images, including the boat and interior:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...EONETHEONE.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...EBOATDECK2.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...ALABEDROOM.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...tinterior2.jpg
The bedroom is an actual one on a kerala, but I would like to find something different. I'm trying to find more interior images.
Here's a video of various houseboats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abn6S...eature=related

I'm still trying to find a layout I can use. Unfortunately, I can't sketch, scan and import anymore, so I just have to do some research and perhaps wing it. If this isn't enough detail, I'll try again.

NOTE: Please archive Raven Corbett's The Rookery if the houseboat is acceptable. Dorian has been "squatting" in the apartment but now has been loaned the houseboat by his mentors, a couple of now-elderly grifters who are going to be touring Italy, scamming all along the way. So, Dorian won't be paying rent and does have his job at Opera Populaire to take care of the basics.

NOTE: Details about the kerala houseboat are from Wikipedia but are edited.

EDIT: Will this be all right in the 18th District? Or, have I messed up Parisian geography? I hope not, but I'll understand if this isn't OK'd.

EDIT 2: Thank you! Thank you! I was afraid that it was too far away when I checked the maps of Paris. I didn't want to break any rules, but I really liked this idea.

MystMoonstruck's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 07-09-2011 at 08:37 PM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [92] »

It can't in the 18th District, but it can certainly be approved!

*stamps houseboat with approval!*

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: A. Renee | Gender: Female | Age: 23 | Posts: 19 | Roses: 10
Old 08-20-2012 at 05:26 AM
dans.engel
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [93] »

Username:dans.engel

Character name: Mariėtta de Cloete
Character age: 19 (she still receives money from her wealthy parents)

Desired apartment: The apartment is small, and located above a pastry shop a few blocks from the Opera House. The building itself is three floors, the bottom is the shop, the middle floor belongs to the shop owner and landlord. The top floor which can be accessed by way of an exterior stair case in the ally next to the shop would belong to Maria. The apartment lay out is pictured below.

http://www.mvgapartments.com/images/2bedsmall.jpg

Maria would use the second bedroom as an art studio that doubles as a guest room and would likely put a day bed in it to accommodate all such activities.

dans.engel's Profile Send Private Message dans.engel's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: MystMoonstruck aka Cyn | Gender: REDHEAD! | Posts: 5,059 | Roses: 235
Old 03-26-2014 at 06:01 AM
MystMoonstruck
Wandering Child
House Patron
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [94] »

Golden and Evea are splitting up, and Evea likely will stay in that apartment.

Is it possible to revive Raven Corbett's Rookery as an apartment for Golden to sublet while the author is away? That way, Easy has Sanctuary, Dorian has his houseboat, and Golden would be staying at the Rookery? I guess it's archived. I hope so! That would be difficult to reconstruct everything.

I hope this is acceptable. We didn't expect the spit-up though that definitely happens in real life.

MystMoonstruck's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote