Name: Private | Gender: Female | Age: 33 | Posts: 8 | Roses: 10
Old 06-02-2014 at 06:38 AM
Rosoideae
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Choose one of Erik's three surnames  Post [1] »

There are three versions of The Phantom Of The Opera in which Erik is given a last name. In the 1943, 1989, and 1990 movies, the surnames are Claudin, Destler, and Carrière, respectively. (Although the 1962 and 1983 versions also include last names, I am excluding these because the title character is not the real phantom in either movie as he is not Erik but a random man.) Which name do you like best? Do not base your answer on how you feel about each aforementioned version of Erik. I want to know what you think of the names themselves, and how you perceive a correlation between your chosen word and Erik. My favorite is Claudin. Destler sounds modern and conjures the image of an everyday man. While Carrière is a beautiful French name, I associate its drawn out pronunciation with pretension and no sense. Erik certainly is adept at making a show of himself, but is also very stealthy. Claudin has a solid, smooth audiological air, and conveys mystery and intelligence.
Rosoideae's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Bleeding_Masque | Gender: Female | Posts: 100 | Roses: 10
Old 06-04-2014 at 06:11 AM
Bleeding_Masque
Wandering Child
Dancing Angel

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2] »

I like Destler for some reason..maybe because it's been used a lot by Eriks in rp that I saw in the past and I just accepted it (glad you didn't include Muhleim (sp?) Blech!)
Bleeding_Masque's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2014 at 05:19 PM
Rosoideae
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3] »

The reason behind your choice was understandable. Thank you for helping me with a few questions of mine. I had never heard of The Phantom Of Manhattan, but found it after your post prompted me to look for the surname that you mentioned, which I had seen once before. I had wondered why there were stories which referred to Madame Giry as Antoinette and stated that Erik's last name was Muhlheim, and who Darius was. I didn't know where writers were getting these names from. I didn't have a problem with the name Muhlheim, but it was not from an original form of 'The Phantom Of The Opera'. Like Destler, Muhlheim sounded modern and simple.

Name: Madeline | Gender: F | Age: 36 | Posts: 31 | Roses: 10
Old 06-08-2014 at 08:11 PM
ErikPhan
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4] »

Actually, Darius is the Persian's servant in Leroux -- so it looks like the servant makes an appearance in PoM even though the master is absent . However, according to some people the name (Darius) wasn't the first choice :)
ErikPhan's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Bleeding_Masque | Gender: Female | Posts: 100 | Roses: 10
Old 06-08-2014 at 08:33 PM
Bleeding_Masque
Wandering Child
Dancing Angel

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5] »

Did you get Claudin from the Claude Raines version? Actually his name was spelled Erique and his disfigurement came from acid but the last name is exacty the same (I looked it up)
Bleeding_Masque's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 06-08-2014 at 08:38 PM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6] »

Hey there, Rosoideae! Great idea for a topic.

Of the three choices you gave, I think I'd go with Carrière, mainly because the Yeston/Kopit miniseries and musical were the first versions I heard about where Erik was given a surname... Plus, I think a grandiose name suits Erik's personality. Claudin is also quite nice, though, and I even like Destler mainly because I really enjoyed that film version.

In terms of the story, though, I usually tend to prefer it when Erik isn't given a surname. It makes his character more mysterious, and I think Erik would want to avoid keeping the name of the family that he ran away from. (And after all, in Leroux's novel, "Erik" may not even have been the name his mother gave him.) And if we do decide to give him a surname, we may also keep in mind that he may not have been of French origin -- Leroux says he was born in France, but that doesn't necessarily mean his parents weren't immigrants from somewhere else. In any case, it's really interesting to think about.

EDIT: Yep, Bleeding_Masque, "Claudin" was his last name in the Claude Rains film. Though yes, his first name was "Erique" in that one.

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2014 at 08:30 AM
Rosoideae
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7] »

ErikPhan, thank you. I actually have a copy of Gaston Leroux's novel, but have only read it once and not in the past half year. Since Darius is a trivial character and the emphasis is on the wild description of Erik, Darius has simply not remained in my memory. Bleeding_Masque, yes, Claude Rains plays the title role in the 1943 version of The Phantom Of The Opera. I know that in this movie the phantom is not born with his deformity, but his character has the same basic constitution. Also, the film just uses one of the French versions of the name Erik, which is why I include it as featuring the real phantom. The 1989 film also features Erik as facially normal for most of his life. He becomes deformed when he makes a deal with the devil so that his music can be famous. This is a shrewd way to combine the classic scenario of selling one's soul to the devil with the phantom's deformity. IamErik771, thank you! You bring up some great points. My impression from the novel, however, is that Erik's mother has never named him. It is hinted that Erik's mother has the desire to kill him when he is a baby, but is ultimately afraid to carry it out. She sees her son as nothing more than an object. I think that Erik would simply choose a surname for himself to make his identity complete. This principle also applies to Erik picking out a first name just for the sake of being able to call himself something. I agree with you, the original Erik would surely not want to keep his parents' last name.

Name: Chiara | Gender: a young lady | Age: 20 | Posts: 103 | Roses: 10
Old 06-27-2014 at 10:04 AM
Flattering Child
Wandering Child
no emperor received so fair a gift

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8] »

Isn't not having a surname part of Erik's magic...? I prefer him without a surname, simply because Leroux didn't want to tell us about it. It's just fine like that...

Flattering Child's Profile Send Private Message Flattering Child's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: April | Gender: female | Age: 33 | Posts: 135 | Roses: 10
Old 11-03-2014 at 03:00 AM
wandering child
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9] »

There's a book version that's little known but very well written called Letters to Erik, intended as a sequal to the origional Leroux version. It gives Erik's last name as de Carpentier. I always liked that one and thought it made sense because Erik's father was a mason and the last name can mean either mason or carpenter. Also fits with Erik being an architect, I think.

In sleep he sang to me
wandering child's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Chiara | Gender: a young lady | Age: 20 | Posts: 103 | Roses: 10
Old 11-03-2014 at 02:34 PM
Flattering Child
Wandering Child
no emperor received so fair a gift

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10] »

I like that name (even though I prefer no name for him!) I wonder what Earl Caprenter thinks of that ;D

Could you tell me more about the book?

Flattering Child's Profile Send Private Message Flattering Child's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote