Name: Lotte | Gender: Female | Posts: 11 | Roses: 10
Old 11-09-2008 at 09:09 PM
Loettchen
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [21]

This is a bit out of nowhere, but I'm really attached to the depiction of Erik in Caliber Press's "Sherlock Holmes: Adventure of the Opera Ghost." I know it's only a comic, but I'm a big fan of the full-body deformity (as opposed to face-only deformities), the skeletal appearance, and the tall, slim figure. It's very close to how I pictured Erik after reading the novel.

I also agree with the statements about the Yeston/Kopit version leaving it to your imagination. I think this emphasizes the symbolic ugliness rather than pinning it to a particular form of deformity. Or that's my take on it, anyhow.

And people have already talked about the 2004 film as least favorite. I agree.
Loettchen's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Kojinka | Gender: female | Age: 28 | Posts: 88 | Roses: 10
Old 06-23-2009 at 04:04 AM
Kojinka
Wandering Child
Ghost in Solitude

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [22]

Best: Lon Chaney, ALW stage musical, and animated.

Worst: Phantom of Hollywood. That make-up job was even wimpier than the Gerard Butler's sunburn of doom. I also didn't really care for the fact that we never got to see Erik's face in the Charles Dance version.

"In empty court there flies firefly flows, and in high pedestal there walksn foxs" ~Song at Midnight
Kojinka's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 22 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 07-07-2009 at 09:27 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [23]

Now that you said Phantom of Hollywood (first of all, what? and second...whoa!) I will never watch that show because a friend of my brother's has a sister (sorry for the long relationship line) watches that from time to time and I just see parts with the deformity.

Best would have to be Vegas...and Lons of course ;)

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 22 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 07-07-2009 at 10:51 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [24]

Phantom of Hollywood was just a campy, low budget film where the Phantom figure haunts the demolished remanins of Old Hollywood. it's quite silly so the make-up really isn't even that good. The Phantom of the Mall's burned deformity isn't so hot either (forgive the pun) but all is better than Gerry's in my opinion...
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 07-08-2009 at 04:22 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [25]

Gerry is number one in my book... number one on my list of worst deformities. So what? the guy had a droopy eye! Big whoop. Some people are sprouting elbows out of their noses! The least Gerard Butler's make up artist could have done was make him at least look ugly. That's just my opinion, though. No stone throwing today. I'm pooped.

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 22 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 07-08-2009 at 05:53 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [26]

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerading rose View Post
Gerry is number one in my book....
Ha, I was like, "WHAT? Who are you and what have you done with Chrissy?"

Right, as stated many many many many many times before, it really isn't Gerry's fault that the makeup artist/director was so awful....his singing on the other hand....
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 22 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 07-12-2009 at 06:41 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [27]

My favorite one is this book cover of Gaston's book...it has yellow skin, a black hole for a nose. Exactly like the legend! Gosh it's hard to describe, but its' exactly like the description.

here

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2009 at 01:41 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [28]

Ah, I have that version of the book. It's actually perfectly sized to fit on your face and wear as a mask :P

Another deformity that I can't say that I care for is the 1944 Claude Rains version. It's very small and weird looking. Still, A LOT better than Gerry's anywho.

Name: Ruuki | Gender: Female | Age: 22 | Posts: 5 | Roses: 10
Old 11-12-2009 at 03:53 AM
Erik's Greatest 'Phan'
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [29]

I don't know. I think I like ALW Stage Deformity, though I'm not a fan of huge lips. But, anyway, that was good.:) I also like the 04 deformity. Sorry

My least favorite....Hmm. I never saw any other adaptions of the book, but I never fancied the 1925 deformity...

You see, I have a very weird taste! :D
Erik's Greatest 'Phan''s Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Mookie | Gender: Alien | Posts: 113 | Roses: 10
Old 11-12-2009 at 09:29 AM
commandermookie
Wandering Child
Love Should Not Divide: Link in sig

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [30]

I personally like Lon Chaney's deformity best. Actually, I like Leroux's description of the deformity best, but since Lon's is the closest...yeah.

ALW Stage Show deformity is pretty unique. Gerard Butler's deformity made me go "what the heck is that supposed to be?" :D

So yeah, Lon Chaney was DA BOMB!

commandermookie's Profile Send Private Message commandermookie's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote