The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom The House on the Lake
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 28 | Posts: 1,907 | Roses: 0
Old 08-20-2008 at 10:52 PM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [11]

Wow, interesting discussion! Hmm . . . let's see . . .

My absolute favourite would have to be the one described by Gaston Leroux, and later by Susan Kay. Following close behind are Lon Chaney (since he was the closest to Leroux, and was brilliant in designing it himself) and most of the ALW stage show versions. In the case of the ALW stage show, though, I find that it tends to vary between the different productions and actors. Sometimes, a production uses the same design on every actor, and it just doesn't look as good (or bad) on someone with a different head shape.

My least favourite, like many of you, would be the one from the 2004 film . . . Julian Sands doesn't count, IMO, since he didn't have a deformity at all. Claude Rains . . . I wasn't fond of it, but at least they gave a plausible reason for it.

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: The Phantom Reviewer | Gender: Male | Age: 35 | Posts: 30 | Roses: 10
Old 08-24-2008 at 05:39 PM
PhantomReviews
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [12]

I HATE the 2004 version most of all. Best for me is Chaney, Schell, and even Rains. Nastiest disfigurement makeup I have ever seen is the Two Face makeup for The Dark Knight, and Darkman. Why couldnt the ALW version been more like that, with the makeup techniques we have available today?

See my Youtube channel for my rant about the ALW versions makeup:

http://www.youtube.com/PhantomReviews
PhantomReviews's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Remo | Gender: female | Posts: 36 | Roses: 10
Old 08-25-2008 at 01:43 AM
Erik'sMusic92
Wandering Child
Worse than a shattered chanderlier!

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [13]

Best: Leroux and ALW stage. I personally think that these best versions of the deformity that I chose makes the Phantom more pityful and tormented. I also think that the Leroux and ALW stage versions make the Phantom sexy!

Worst: G.B., C.R., and R.E.(i agree, R.E.'s deformity is lyke a Freddy Krueger remake)

Erik'sMusic92's Profile Send Private Message Erik'sMusic92's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Phorum Ghost | Gender: female | Age: 49 | Posts: 24 | Roses: 10
Old 08-29-2008 at 04:57 PM
Chilihead
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Face  Post [14]

I'm reluctant to come down on the 1943 film starring Claude Rains. During that era, the general American audience and the troops had just enduring two World Wars sandwiched around a Great Depression. During this era, things were kept more light-hearted. Movies had actors smiling so big, you'd think their faces were about to explode. Also the images of "Rosie the Riveter" were still in people's minds, thus such a strong confident Christine that chooses her career over everything else. I admit, after so many hardships I've had over the past two years, I do like to watch that one more than the others. I digress...

One of my least favorite disfigurements would be the 1989 film starring Robert Englund. While the idea that his scars were inflicted by the devil himself appeals to me, I do not care for the pus and ooze. The 1980's horror films indulged in that sort of graphic gore way too much. Another least favorite is the 1998 film starring Julian Sands. I think Dario Argento was trying to make a point and thus this radical re-telling, but it should not have been titled "PoTO" as I think it could have stood on its own as another one of his gory giallo-style films.

A personal favorite of mine is in the Kopit teleplay, used in the Yeston and Kopit musical and in the 1990 mini-series starring Charles Dance. I get a guilty pleasure out of NOT reducing Erik to a "freak show." People get curious, yes, but even I felt like I learned my lesson when watching that film for the first time. Leaving it to the imagination, or at least respecting the secret Erik has with Christine regarding his visage, appeals to me. If a disfigurement must be shown, I like the illustrations by Greg Hildebrandt the best. There is also, of course, the water color paintings by Andre Castaigne. The half-mask, half-facial deformity in the movie-musical starring David Staller is pretty good, too, considering the low-budget production intended as a fundraiser.

The Phantom's Visage

Touch me not! I am the Red Death stalking abroad!

Erik's Dominion
Chilihead's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Amy | Gender: Female | Posts: 29 | Roses: 10
Old 09-27-2008 at 01:17 AM
MlleMusique
Wandering Child
wandering the labyrinth of my heart

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [15]

My favourite would have to be the Australian version of the ALW stage make-up. I can't describe it exactly, but it was paler; more flesh coloured than other worldwide deformities (South America, for example, used A LOT of red). Australia also extended the deformity across the forehead, providing extra justification for needing a wig.

I didn't mind Claude Rains' make-up; at least it covered the whole of his face! And I don't know if this counts, but I really liked in the 1990 TV version with Charles Dance how they didn't show you his face; they left it up to the viewer's imagination.

My least favourites are the 2004 film version (third degree sunburn!), the 1983 film with Maximilian Schell...and several versions of the ALW stage show....
MlleMusique's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: darcimkire | Gender: Angel of Music | Posts: 64 | Roses: 10
Old 10-04-2008 at 12:34 PM
darcimkire
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [16]

1. Leroux
2. Chaney
3 Michael Crawford and other ALW versions

I hate the 2004 movie makeup...

I wear a mask of life over my face of death...

MICHAEL CRAWFORD
I am now in a world where I have to hide my heart
and what I believe in...
But somehow I will show the world what's inside my heart
and be loved for who I am
darcimkire's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Alia | Gender: Female | Age: 26 | Posts: 12 | Roses: 10
Old 10-14-2008 at 03:01 AM
DayDreamBeliever
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [17]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilihead View Post
I'm reluctant to come down on the 1943 film starring Claude Rains. During that era, the general American audience and the troops had just enduring two World Wars sandwiched around a Great Depression. During this era, things were kept more light-hearted. Movies had actors smiling so big, you'd think their faces were about to explode. Also the images of "Rosie the Riveter" were still in people's minds, thus such a strong confident Christine that chooses her career over everything else. I admit, after so many hardships I've had over the past two years, I do like to watch that one more than the others. I digress...

One of my least favorite disfigurements would be the 1989 film starring Robert Englund. While the idea that his scars were inflicted by the devil himself appeals to me, I do not care for the pus and ooze. The 1980's horror films indulged in that sort of graphic gore way too much. Another least favorite is the 1998 film starring Julian Sands. I think Dario Argento was trying to make a point and thus this radical re-telling, but it should not have been titled "PoTO" as I think it could have stood on its own as another one of his gory giallo-style films.

A personal favorite of mine is in the Kopit teleplay, used in the Yeston and Kopit musical and in the 1990 mini-series starring Charles Dance. I get a guilty pleasure out of NOT reducing Erik to a "freak show." People get curious, yes, but even I felt like I learned my lesson when watching that film for the first time. Leaving it to the imagination, or at least respecting the secret Erik has with Christine regarding his visage, appeals to me. If a disfigurement must be shown, I like the illustrations by Greg Hildebrandt the best. There is also, of course, the water color paintings by Andre Castaigne. The half-mask, half-facial deformity in the movie-musical starring David Staller is pretty good, too, considering the low-budget production intended as a fundraiser.

The Phantom's Visage
Yay another fan of David Staller's deformation!

My favorite deformaties in order are:

1. Leroux
2. Chaney
3. Staller
4. Ken Hill (it was kind of nice to see Erik not get degraded in the audience's eyes for once)
5. ALW stage make-up
DayDreamBeliever's Profile Send Private Message DayDreamBeliever's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Laursie/Laursie/Laur/Laurs/Random | Gender: Phemale | Age: 19 | Posts: 54 | Roses: 10
Old 10-14-2008 at 08:35 AM
Lot666
Wandering Child
A chandelier, in pieces...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [18]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlleMusique View Post
My favourite would have to be the Australian version of the ALW stage make-up. I can't describe it exactly, but it was paler; more flesh coloured than other worldwide deformities (South America, for example, used A LOT of red). Australia also extended the deformity across the forehead, providing extra justification for needing a wig.
Living in Australia, that's the only deformity I have seen for the ALW stage show, but it's by far my favourite. I can only compare it to the moon... lots of 'craters'.
Lot666's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Melissa | Gender: Girl | Age: 25 | Posts: 32 | Roses: 10
Old 10-14-2008 at 06:24 PM
PhantomAria
Wandering Child
Ghostly Wanderer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [19]

Favorite deformity-
(books) Leroux and Kay
(movies) Robert Englund

Least Favorite-
Gerard Butler (he looked too smexy) <3
PhantomAria's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Kirah | Gender: Female | Posts: 55 | Roses: 10
Old 10-19-2008 at 01:40 AM
Kiri_Giry
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [20]

I like the stage one because it is sooo well done. It looks so real and its amazing.

Baby, it may seem as if there is nothing left for us but to cry, but honey for us there is nothing but blue sky.
Kiri_Giry's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote