Name: Ashley | Gender: female | Age: 29 | Posts: 10 | Roses: 10
Old 03-25-2007 at 12:51 AM
lightupbroadway
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [21]

I was so upset when I found out ST was being made into a musical movie. I love the revival cast, and the last thing I want is for it to be another popular Johnny Depp movie. Can he even sing? And why is Alan Rickman JT?! I love him, but after the movie comes out I just know I'll forever have this creepy mental picture of him...

And I don't know if I feel comforted by the fact that Sodheim approved the cast... Webber was in charge of his musical's movie cast, and look how that turned out.

Ah well...we'll see in two years...
lightupbroadway's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Chris | Gender: Male | Age: 28 | Posts: 34 | Roses: 2
Old 04-11-2007 at 09:39 PM
Lord Moe
Wandering Child
Canis Mortis, the Lyrical Tenor

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [22]

I LOVE SWEENEY TODD!!

It has such an exceptional story, and the character development of Sweeney is awesome.

But I have to say, if I could play one part in that show I would want to be Beadle Bamfort. His vocal part is so cool (though extremely difficult).

"...and I was made to remember that, although he was not an angel, nor a ghost, nor a genius, he remained the voice...for he sang. And I listened...and stayed!... That night, we did not exchange another word. He sang me to sleep."
- The Phantom of the Opera, by Gaston Leroux
Lord Moe's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Tanya | Gender: I'm an it. | Posts: 68 | Roses: 10
Old 08-23-2007 at 06:02 PM
Taka
Wandering Child
Pinnapple

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [23]

Actually, the factoid that says that Sondheim approved of each cast member is a myth. Check IMBD for more details.

That being said, I still remain optimistic. I can't wait to see Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman together in the same movie.

Carlotta fan, Erik stalker. Heh.
Taka's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Paula | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 12-12-2007 at 07:34 PM
MllePaula
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [24]

I have very mixed feelings about the "Sweeney Todd" film.

I'm trying very hard to keep an open mind until I actually see the entire film, but the few clips and trailers I've seen aren't really impressing me. I can't quite put my finger on what's missing, but "Epiphany" isn't having any emotional impact on me.

I love "Sweeney Todd" in general. I'd say it's my second favorite Sondheim musical. I saw the revival last year and loved it, except for Patti Lupone's awful diction.
MllePaula's Profile Send Private Message MllePaula's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Rose/Michele | Gender: A Woe to Man | Posts: 1,716 | Roses: 220
Old 12-13-2007 at 12:40 AM
A_Single_Rose
Wandering Child
Das ist ein Bingo!

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [25]

I had heard of and seen the name Sweeney Todd in places and it wasn't until I first saw the trailer for the new movie did I actually googled it. I read the synopsis on Sweeney Todd and I was immediately interested in seeing the show.
I then checked it out on Youtube and immediately fell in love with the show in a strange, creepy way.

I'm not too impressed with the vocals in the new movie. They're alright, but not ideal for the show. Helena Bonham Carter has a small, weak voice and Johnny Depp seems to try a rock band sort of voice. Alan Rickman, from what I have heard so far, is just ok. Sacha sounded pretty good, but again, not ideal. I'd still like to see the movie, though. I hope the acting makes up for the mediocre vocals.

[signature under construction]
A_Single_Rose's Profile Send Private Message A_Single_Rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Tori | Gender: Female | Age: 25 | Posts: 6 | Roses: 10
Old 01-09-2008 at 03:18 AM
XMusicIsDeceivingX
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [26]

I just saw the movie last weekend and I have mixed feelings. The music and costuming and sets were great, and I do love Depp as Sweeney! However, I could have done without so much blood. In fact I could have done without any blood. The stage show is better, but the movie is very good all the same. Isn't that always the case??
XMusicIsDeceivingX's Profile Send Private Message XMusicIsDeceivingX's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Mack | Gender: ...Mack | Posts: 369 | Roses: 68
Old 01-12-2008 at 02:29 AM
Katzenklavier
Wandering Child
Deliciously Decadent

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [27]

First of all, I only recently got into Sweeney Todd. And I loved it so much that I've been adding it to my repertoire of knowledge ever since. Just as you, I had quite the conflict about Tim Burton's movie. First of all, I feel Burton is horribly overrated. Talented, but overrated. His movies tend to be stylistically dark but as fluffy as a Spielberg. I loved Ed Wood and a few of his other works, but....meh. And The Nightmare Before Christmas wasn't even directed by him.

This movie pleasantly surprised. For once, the dark style and story went together seamlessly. As you said, the atmosphere is a work of genius. Dark, claustrophobic, and every bit as grimy and grotesque as the characters. However, it was too focused on being grimy that it completely neglected the comic aspect. Which is very important to the story, I feel. It's just not the same without the cheerful singing and dancing during murder and cannibalism. "Down by the Sea" came the closest to it, but "A Little Priest" was utterly disappointing.

And then there was the casting. It kind of pissed me off they couldn't find people who could sing. Don't get me wrong - Depp and Carter are both fantastic actors. But it IS a musical with an absolutely gorgeous operatic score to boot. I get chills every time I hear George Hearn belt those curses in that deep rich baritone. It just didn't live up to its potential without that singing talent. I get it was a matter of practicality, since both actors have a box office lure. Yet I feel they didn't have to make the two main characters "sexy." They're SUPPOSED to be hideous and disgusting and grotesque. And that's the way I like it.

Still, I thought did amazing jobs in the acting component. I actually liked Helena's performance - her Lovett was suitably pathetic and pitiable. She has so much expression in her eyes. But this is coming from a Helena fan here. I can't help it. I state this honestly when I say there is no other celebrity who better fits my physical ideal. Pale, with dark eyes and hair, and just a gorgeously unique bone structure. So maybe my opinion is biased. But Depp surprised me too. He managed to be both exaggerated and restrained. And I have to say his singing voice was nicer than Rickman's or Carter's. Can't believe I'm saying that, as I thought Rickman's singing voice would be as sexy as his speaking.
Katzenklavier's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: That hyper thing that annoys Erik and V*pokes Erik* \Lizzy | Gender: Hyper thing!*bounces* | Posts: 116 | Roses: 3
Old 03-27-2008 at 04:12 AM
Phantom's_last_rose
Wandering Child
Proud Gerik Phan (^)_^

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [28]

OMG!OMG!OMG! I LOVE THE MOVIE OF THAT SHOW AND IT COMES OUT SOON YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY *incredibly happy smile* :):):)

Phantom's_last_rose's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: That hyper thing that annoys Erik and V*pokes Erik* \Lizzy | Gender: Hyper thing!*bounces* | Posts: 116 | Roses: 3
Old 03-27-2008 at 04:21 AM
Phantom's_last_rose
Wandering Child
Proud Gerik Phan (^)_^

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [29]

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMusicIsDeceivingX View Post
I just saw the movie last weekend and I have mixed feelings. The music and costuming and sets were great, and I do love Depp as Sweeney! However, I could have done without so much blood. In fact I could have done without any blood. The stage show is better, but the movie is very good all the same. Isn't that always the case??
I am a horror movie fan so just in my humble opinion I thought the blood was awesome. But once again I am a huge horror movie fan so I like really bloody seens *evil smile*

Phantom's_last_rose's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 22 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 03-30-2008 at 03:25 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [30]

Ah Sweeney Todd truely is amazing.

My high school is actually doing it next year (shame that I'll be in middle school :( ). I can't wait to see the actual stage version then.
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote