The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » The Lair of the Phantom » Persian Music Box
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 06-21-2005 at 04:52 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street  Post [1] »

Has anyone ever seen this show? It is a rather... unconventional musical about a deranged barber who wants revenge on society. He carries out his plan by re-opening his barbershop, slitting the throats of his customers, and then giving the bodies to his assistant, who cooks them into pies and serves them to her customers. The scary thing is that it's based on a dime novel which claims to be based on a true story! Here is a more detailed synopsis of the plot. Caution: It gives away the ending. ;)

It's a disturbing concept for a musical, yes. But it's also a very well-done show. The show has been recorded and released on DVD, and there will soon be a big-screen film as well. The play was written and composed by Stephen Sondheim. He also wrote the lyrics for West Side Story, and wrote the score and lyrics for many shows including A Little Night Music, Sunday in the Park with George, and Merrily We Roll Along.

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 33 | Posts: 70 | Roses: 10
Old 06-30-2005 at 01:39 AM
wolfwynd
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2] »

Sweeney Todd is love!! I love this musical prolly a bit too much lol! I'm not a big fan of Angela Lansbury or Len Cariou but I loved it when it came to my town - Sweeney was played by Lydon Terricini and Mrs Lovett by Jenny Galloway (Madame Thendier in 10th Anniversary Les Mis!) My fave song is Ephiphany (My Friends) it makes me laugh coz he's talking to his razors... *blinks*
wolfwynd's Profile Send Private Message wolfwynd's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 07-01-2005 at 05:18 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3] »

Hooray! Somebody replied! :D

I've never actually gotten to see the show, but I have seen short clips that were used in the PBS Broadway documentary. I've also heard the cast recording. I liked Angela Lansbury's Mrs. Lovett, but thought Len Cariou was a bit emotionless. I immensely prefer George Hearn (who I saw in the clips on the documentary).

Some of my favorite lines from ST:

"To seek revenge may lead to hell, but everyone does it and seldom as well as Sweeney... Sweeney Todd... The demon barber of Fleet Street"

"We won't discriminate great from small. No, we'll serve anyone, meaning anyone, and to anyone at all!"

"Soon, you will drip precious rubies..."

"Those who thought him a simple clod were soon reconsidering under the sod..."

"It's fop... Finest in the shop. And we have a shepherd's pie peppered with actual shepherd on top!" :D

<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Steve | Gender: Male | Age: 29 | Posts: 2,021 | Roses: 35
Old 07-14-2005 at 08:30 AM
The Phantom
Wandering Child
House Patron
Without you, I die.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4] »

The only way I know of the story of Sweeny Todd is through the movie Jersey Girl where Gertie wants to see Cats on Broadway but can't, so she goes to Sweeney Tood. She ends up doing a number from Sweeney Todd for a elementary school talent show and scars the heck out the audience. ;)
The Phantom's Profile Send Private Message The Phantom's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2005 at 02:12 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5] »

I never saw that movie, but I just might want to rent it now! Do you know what song/scene she did?

I was in a video store the other day, and I saw a DVD for a Sweeney Todd film that was made in 1936! Amazon.com link According to the synopsis on the back cover, this film is what inspired Stephen Sondheim to create the musical. The film was directed by George King and stars Tod Slaughter (great name, huh?) as Sweeney. Has anyone seen this film?

Name: Faye/Glinda/Mrs. Lovett | Gender: Female | Age: 29 | Posts: 192 | Roses: 10
Old 08-05-2006 at 04:13 AM
Kristin Chenoweth
Wandering Child
pride. kiss my tiara.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6] »

I've not seen that film, but I saw the revival in New York in March. And let me say that Patti LuPone and Michael Cerveris were a remarkable team. It was just a...pardon the pun...killer performance.

I love "Johanna," it's a beautiful piece of music, and the vocals done by the revival cast are hauntingly wonderful. Although it comes in second to "Not While I'm Around," which holds a very special place in my heart due to striking very close to a situation I experienced with a friend.

Admittedly, I was really freaked out when I saw it, and wasn't sure I liked it. Of course, I was also veeery sick when I saw it, and miserable, so that could have accounted for it too. But anyway, on the way to school every day after we got back, we listened to it in the car, and I realized I liked it. So yeah. Good show. Big fan.

has anyone ever sung you a lullaby? you can fly above the rainclouds, close your eyes
let the melody carry you, leave all your fears behind
and float across a rainbow sky to once upon a time...
Kristin Chenoweth's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Emily | Gender: a lady | Age: 28 | Posts: 715 | Roses: 10
Old 08-11-2006 at 11:31 PM
Oiseau de Chanson
Wandering Child
eyes, look your last

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7] »

I have fallen in love with this show!!!! The premise is a little sick, but dark comedy is good. 'Johanna' is beautiful, and 'Not While I'm Around'. I also love 'A Little Priest'. It's so disgustingly funny. Funny in a disgusting way. Funny and disgusting. Whatever. :) I would love to see the show! I've been listening to the AccuBroadway internet station and looove Sweeney so much!!! Michael Cerveris!Sweeney = love!! He is amazing. I think it was genius having the cast also do the orchestration. But they totally got robbed at the Tony's. :)

I've been love love LOVING watching clips on YouTube. There's lots!! :D

And I think the music in this show is simply gorgeous!

Oiseau de Chanson's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Zelda/Yvette/Padme | Gender: female | Age: 28 | Posts: 2,274 | Roses: 10
Old 08-11-2006 at 11:50 PM
Christine Daaé
Wandering Child
House Patron
Angel of Music

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8] »

I saw the show in April, and I LOVED IT. "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" has been stuck in my head ever since.

Someday I would love to play Johanna Barker. Her songs are so beautiful . . .

Anywho. Yesh. It was dark and disturbing, but I loved it.

~ Zelda

Christine Daaé's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 31 | Posts: 81 | Roses: 10
Old 08-12-2006 at 04:55 PM
Learn2BLonely
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9] »

I fell in love with this show when I saw it. It was fantastic. I can't wait to see Johnny Depp in the movie version.

Sometimes the people we meet change us forever.

Crossing Blades
Referer: Thump Thump
Learn2BLonely's Profile Send Private Message Learn2BLonely's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Kristi Lu | Gender: Girl | Posts: 756 | Roses: 22
Old 08-14-2006 at 05:01 AM
Masked Shadows
Wandering Child
House Patron
.Always.Confused.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10] »

Oh! I love this musical! I only saw the musical version one time at our local theatre and it was amazing for a local production. The assistant, Tobias, was played by Telly Leung which got the show alot of hype and everyone wanted to see it which was great. I loved all the music in the show but I don't really remember any songs specifically. As for the plot, as disgusting and depressing as it is I still think it's an amazing show. I'm hoping to go see this show on Broadway someday

Steve! You saved my life! I could not remember what movie it was that the little girl went to see Sweeney Todd! Thank you.

Now, I see, If I wear a mask I can fool the world.

Masked Shadows's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote