Name: Zelda/Yvette/Padme | Gender: female | Age: 28 | Posts: 2,274 | Roses: 10
Old 12-25-2007 at 03:50 AM
Christine Daaé
Wandering Child
House Patron
Angel of Music

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Gaston Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera -- a new opera in progress, by yours truly  Post [1] »

Hello, all!

What no one yet knows about me is that I sometimes compose music. It's a skill currently in its infancy, but hopefully I'll expand on it soon through classes.

Anyway, I've decided to start on a new project: Gaston Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera, the opera.

You may ask, "Didn't Andrew Lloyd Webber already do that?" My answer is, "Not really." You see, while the style of this piece of musical theatre is rather operatic, and while it is often referred to as a "rock opera", it is still musical theatre. You don't see ALW's POTO playing at the Metropolitan Opera or Covent Garden precisely because that is not what he intended for it to be. Besides, he took the story Gaston Leroux wrote and made enough changes in the story for it to be his own.

To my knowledge, no one has yet made an actual opera of Leroux's work. Now, opera-writing is not something simply for great masters like Mozart, Puccini, Gounod, and everyone in between; new operas are being written all the time, even today. One of my music professors in college, in fact, will be premiering her one-act opera at my college very soon.

I've only just begun this process, but I intend to post a synopsis and a couple of clips every chance I get. I would be grateful for feedback and encouragement, as this is the biggest project I've ever even thought about tackling.

Thank you all!

~ Zelda

Christine Daaé's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Nancy Lee | Gender: Ninja Squirrel! | Age: 25 | Posts: 1,140 | Roses: 20
Old 12-25-2007 at 03:59 AM
SocialMisfit
Wandering Child
Psycho Non-stop Student.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2] »

WHOO!!! Right on, Zelda!

This is awesome! I can't wait to hear what you have so far. It'll be great.

~Nancy

I could be brown, I could be blue, I could be violet sky!
I could be hurtful, I could be purple, I could be anything you like!
Awesome Banner-ness made by PJ!
SocialMisfit's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Cassie | Gender: Señorita | Posts: 4,083 | Roses: 185
Old 12-25-2007 at 05:50 PM
Mrs Nadir Khan
Wandering Child
House Patron
Slave to my Inspiration

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3] »

Zelda, you are my hero. That has got to be the coolest thing I think anyone has ever done. :) Ever. Even cooler than inventing the laser printer or creating Mickey Mouse. I can't wait for updates!
Mrs Nadir Khan's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 12-26-2007 at 04:56 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4] »

ZOMG!!!
Zelda, you are my hero!!!! I really look forward to your opera. I'm so glad there are still some people who love the art. I've tried to spread it around my school, but it's only worked amongst my friends. Anyways, I'm so glad you are taking the aniciative (sp?) to do this! I love you!

I REALLY look forward to this!

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: doris | Gender: female | Posts: 33 | Roses: 10
Old 12-29-2007 at 06:14 PM
doristelford
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5] »

I am really really looking forward to this - its just so much a completely original idea, and theres too little originality around these days. Im longing and looking forward to the first posting.
doristelford's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Alysha | Gender: Anyone, really | Posts: 22 | Roses: 10
Old 01-02-2008 at 07:16 PM
PricelessTruth
Wandering Child
Officially insane

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6] »

Odd...

I've been working on the exact same thing for the past year. I have up to *thinks* the roof scene. (actually about five minutes before it, but you get the picture).

That's really neat. How far have you gotten? I cannot wait to see/hear it. I'm sure it will be better than mine!

PT PricelessTruth

"In all honesty, miss, I've always been five minutes late to nowhere in particular!" -Dancing to Forget

"So, you think that because you're special I won't take interest in killing you!" -Spiritual Indifference
PricelessTruth's Profile Send Private Message PricelessTruth's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Emmy/Dolly/Eight/Dare | Gender: Mademoiselle | Posts: 853 | Roses: 10
Old 01-06-2008 at 09:40 PM
phantom's_rose
Wandering Child
Can't say I'm sad to see you go..<3

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7] »

OMG! This is going to be fantabulous!!!!! I have always wanted more out of POTO (not that it isn't already AWESOME!!!!!!!! GO GERRY AND EMMY!) but I never expected it. WOW this is...too kewl...you...are the best!!!!! Do you think it's gonna be big? You HAVE to tell us when it's done! This is SWEET!

I'll never let this go, but I can't find the words to tell you

I don't want to be alone, but now I feel like I don't know you
Opinions I would try and rewrite
If life had background music playing your song
I've got to be honest, I tried to escape you
But the orchestra plays on

~Banners by Tianna, Chrissy, Mark, and Jasmine~1 of 4 Proud Spouses to Viktoria!~Special thanks to Hayley W. and Stephan C.~
~I love little Mr. Bob ~
phantom's_rose's Profile Send Private Message phantom's_rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Summer | Gender: Female | Posts: 557 | Roses: 7
Old 01-11-2008 at 10:40 PM
maskedsinger
Wandering Child
Northen Downpour sends its love

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8] »

Zelda, what a wonderful idea. I think that it is so creative that you would do that. I have always wondered if someone would ever do that. I am soo excited to hear about your progress. Good luck!!

Scott v.2 Scott v. 1

Chace v. 2 Chace v. 1 Scott v. 3
Jasmine rocks!! Thanks girl! As Well as Chrissy!
maskedsinger's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Victoria | Gender: A little lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 100 | Roses: 10
Old 01-20-2008 at 01:30 AM
Victoria
Wandering Child
Countess of Ducks

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9] »

God, I'm so jealous! I wanted to do that :D
Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine!
Victoria's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 28 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 02-26-2008 at 05:38 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10] »

Ooh! Awesome idea, Zelda! And if you ever need help or advice in arranging any of the pieces for a full pit orchestra or anything, feel free to let me know. I like to think I've gotten pretty good at that sort of thing. ^_^

I've a couple of questions, though . . . Are you planning to make this a full-length, 3- or 4-act opera, or a somewhat shorter one? And if there are multiple acts, where do you think the act breaks will go?

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote