The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » The Lair of the Phantom » Don Juan Triumphant » Don Juan's Libretto
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Taylor | Gender: Fräulein | Posts: 15 | Roses: 10
Old 01-22-2010 at 06:25 AM
Colonel Landa
Wandering Child
Inglourious Basterd(ess)

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [131] »

Edith, you were completely coherent and I agree with you word for word!

I feel sorry for Erik (especially during his final scene with Daroga in Leroux *tear*), but it's really a no brainer that he's not at all suitable to live with. He's comfortable with murder, manipulation and is prone irritable and violent moods. Raoul, though sometimes a little childish (Leroux), is a perfect gentleman, kind and completely caring.

Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, true or false, are often revealing
Thanks, A_Single_Rose, for the awesome banner!
Attendez le crème...
Colonel Landa's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Anna | Gender: Female | Posts: 3 | Roses: 10
Old 02-17-2010 at 11:46 PM
Bittersweet
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [132] »

I would choose Raoul. I know that people get on him for being a fop, but honestly...if put in her shoes who would I rather choose? An endearing viscount or a psycopathic murderer that kidnapped me through a mirror and impersonated an angel my father sent? I love Erik, yes, but it's a sort of pity love...When I read the novel, that was when I really chose Raoul. While Erik was willing to kill for Christine, Raoul was willing to die for her. I couldn't live with Erik's murderous tendencies (even if he quit, he still has killed many people...) love of manipulation, extremely violent mood swings and the like. I can undertstand how he justified his actions, but still...just no. Even with flaws, realistically, it'd be Raoul.

Team Raoul. Because he's awesome.
Proud Member of the Spontaneous Singer Society~ "It's normal in musicals!"
Bittersweet's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Sarah | Gender: Genderfluid. | Age: 27 | Posts: 1,031 | Roses: 10
Old 08-12-2011 at 06:44 PM
xXphantomaddictedXx
Wandering Child
Dial A For Alan.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [133] »

All fantasies aside, I'd choose Raoul -- simply because he's not a psychopath the way Erik is. Erik does have an enchanting voice and amazing musical talents, but those are his only redeeming qualities. When we remove those, we're left with his true self -- the murderous stalker who kidnapped a singer because he claimed to "love" her. That being said, Erik does not know the concept of love or what it means to be loved because no one has ever shown him feelings like that.

There are many bodies of water in this world;

Yet none would quench my thirst for you.
xXphantomaddictedXx's Profile Send Private Message xXphantomaddictedXx's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Jess | Gender: Female | Posts: 54 | Roses: 10
Old 01-22-2012 at 06:05 AM
pckgm28
Wandering Child
Soprano

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [134] »

To be honest, this is a very hard choice for a lot of reasons. Not only does she have to choose between two men, but she must also choose between two lifestyles. With Raoul, she gets a man who clearly loves her, and is rich, and famous, and can take her to all the balls and do everything a normal woman would do. However, with Erik/Phantom it's a little different. Yes, he loves her, but this is a man who lives his life in a dark, probably damp and cold, lair under the opera house. Let's face it, he practically lives in a cave with lavish furnishings. If she lived down there, would she eventually reach the point that she wouldn't be able to return to the world above or risk exposing his whereabouts? Or would she be able to continue on as she always had, only now she would travel back and forth from the lake under the opera, to the stage above? Not to mention the fact that if she did choose Erik, and they had children, there is a chance that their children would suffer the same fate as Erik. For me, I don't know which one I would choose really. It's a tough choice. I think in the end, it would come down to who I think I could be most happy with in the long run. Would I be able to overlook the cold, dark, cave like home under the opera house, as well as deal with the possibility of my children feeling the hatred that Erik feels, just to have a husband who understands me a little better? Or would my human nature kick in and choose base comforts and security of Raoul, even though he wouldn't understand me quite as well musically as the Phantom does.
pckgm28's Profile Send Private Message pckgm28's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Artemis Young | Gender: Female | Age: 30 | Posts: 35 | Roses: 10
Old 03-27-2012 at 02:06 PM
eternal_rose21
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [135] »

Quote:
Originally Posted by composer15 View Post
I'm Kind of new here and this is my first thread so here it goes :D I was just wondering what you would do if you were in Christines shoes. To be more specific, would you have went with Raoul or Phantom? Would you have told the Phantom that you loved him or not. Finally, would you be more understanding or not. I would have been with the Phantom from the start but I can understand why someone would go with Raoul. I can't wait to here your responses and hope to get to know everyone well.

Much Love
Oh my goodness! If I was Christine, I'd do the right thing and go with Raoul. Would I tell the Phantom that I loved him or not? I'd tell him that even though he isn't my type, I'd always love him. Would I be understanding? Yes, I would. I do enjoy seeing Christine with the Phantom, but she is better off with Raoul in my opinion.

"I may be British, but you should NEVER underestimate me because I am WAY better than La Carlotta ever will be, plus Christine Daae is my hero & she is the greatest woman to ever grace the stage!"- Alexandria Barrett
eternal_rose21's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Jackie | Gender: Female | Age: 36 | Posts: 9 | Roses: 10
Old 05-10-2014 at 03:31 PM
WanderingChild80
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [136] »

I would choose The Phantom
WanderingChild80's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Anne | Gender: Female | Posts: 66 | Roses: 10
Old 12-30-2014 at 05:05 PM
Lotte Potter
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [137] »

I think that something a lot of people tend to overlook is the decisions of the Phantom. Is he all bad? No - if he wasn't all bad she wouldn't have been able to love Christine. But his past does not - I repeat, does NOT give him the right to hurt others. He knew it was wrong. He knew what it felt like to be lonely, to feel pain. So he went and took revenge on the world by hurting others: and in Leroux, we find out that he murdered for fun. That is not okay. Christine knew what it felt like to lose someone near and dear to the heart. How could she love someone who would be willing to do that to someone else? She had loneliness, too, and she did not kill anyone. Rather, she was kind and compassionate. The Phantom tore up his own soul with his murders. Yet she still gets caught up in everything with her compassion towards him. We see Raoul, who can overstep his boundaries (in Leroux) sometimes, but genuinely loves Christine. I read on another thread talk of him locking her away mentally, yet he states that he will take her to another part of the world and then leave her because it is her wish not to marry him. This is due to their social statuses and her need for the Angel, filling the place of her father, which she at first cannot live without. In ALW, she loves him. She engages herself to him with the knowledge that the Phantom could find out and take her and possibly him, so she keeps it secret to keep them both safe. And then we see her condemn herself to a life with the Phantom to save Raoul. She also shows Erik compassion as she makes her decision.
Taking this into account, I think that there is a place in her heart for the Phantom. I don't think she loved him romantically, but worried about him, and wished he could find happiness. So if I were Christine, I would choose Raoul, because she Loved him romantically.
Lotte Potter's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Jennifer Riley | Gender: Girl | Posts: 1 | Roses: 10
Old 08-02-2016 at 11:18 PM
Erikchristine14
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [138] »

I would have chosen the phantom. Here is a list of reasons why:
1) He can sing, play musical instruments and is a brilliant composer
2) he is a fantastic architect and engineer
3) he is handsome, with and without the mask
4) he is seductive
4) he is a true gentleman - he placed Christine on the bed and didn't try anything
5) he is unable to get lots of women unlike Raoul, who can get any woman he wants
6) he dresse well
6) he has a cool lair
7) he can protect you and get you what you want
8) he is a great swordsman

For all these reasons I would choose the phantom - especially if he is played by Gerard Butler.
Erikchristine14's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote