The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » The Lair of the Phantom » The House on the Lake » Christine's Swan Bed
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Lia | Gender: Female | Age: 24 | Posts: 703 | Roses: 74
Old 04-15-2008 at 12:59 PM
tiannangel
Wandering Child
S.S. Defense Squad

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [31] »

I guess if i had never seen Anne act in a movie before, and if i had only heard her voice, then yes, I would think Anne is a better person to play Christine. But I think becuase I've seen Anne in the Princess Diaries, it kinda destroys the really "elegant" view I have of Christine.
I actually do agree with alot of people, Anne's voice would be much better for Christine, but I loved the way Emmy did it as well, so I can't complain :D

Our love is like a Rose...Beautiful while in bloom, but it can not last forever.

~Shameless Self Advertising~

~Banners by the wonderful Kearyn, Rose and me. XD~
tiannangel's Profile Send Private Message tiannangel's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 22 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 05-19-2009 at 04:48 AM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [32] »

This may not make any sense when I talk about my points, I know I'm sorry and *sigh* here we go.

I personally think that it would have been okay to have Anne have the part, but she seems slightly well known but the younger crowd from Princess Diaries. When a child asks their parents to see their favorite actress/actor in a movie that is PG-13 this could change the views that the parents have for that actress/actor. It's happened to me bazillions of times. that's how my parents lost faith in Johnny Depp after seeing Sweeny Todd--but my mom has a weak stomach so it doesn't really matter.

Anyways, Emmy's understood to be an actress of 'matured' material such as The Day After Tomorrow. Honestly if I were a child that still watched Princess Diaries I would want to see her in this film, even if I were too young to see the material of this movie.

Ability, as far as I've hard I hear the same voice. They just have a different face, that's all. It's just that Anne doesn't really seem to fit Christine Daae.

With two actress as good and as talented, it all comes down to type casting. Besides she had PD2 to work on.

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Christine | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 32 | Roses: 10
Old 12-28-2015 at 01:27 AM
ChristineDaaeRosesOfMasks
Wandering Child
Erik's Student

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [33] »

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedNicci View Post
After some thought on the subject, I have to say Anne Hathaway. I'm not electing that there should be another new movie version with Anne in it(gosh no...not until certain people learn not to sex everything up so much), because I haven't heard Anne since much, but what I have, I liked.

Just going on Anne's version of "If I could only dream this world away", I'm more impressed with her upper range than all of Emmy's in the movie version. I agree that Christine SHOULD have an ingenue-quality, but seriously...being breathy and weak-sounding should not be part of that. I think Christine's character should undergo an immense change when she starts to sing, and there' s theory behind that. Think about it - Christine was changed by one of the most talented, most educated singers in the world, right? So that bears a lot of pressure down on Christine, and the person who plays her. She should have wonderful support and a nice, colorful, strong range. She was probably prodded and poked by Erik enough times to be able to at least convey strength throughout her voice - her singing can make her closer to her 'Angel', and that gives her hope and happiness, right?

So when she sings, I'd like to hear a strong, full sound. When she's not, she has to pull of a gentle, confused young woman. Not exactly one you can walk all over, but easily swayed and comforted. Christine wasn't a complete idiot, although she did cling on to certain dreams, and Erik knew where to 'push her buttons', so to speak.

I think Anne could pull this off more than Emmy, because Emmy was stuck in the part of Christine that is ingenue. Christine's character is deeper than just that delicate exterior, and from Emmy's portrayal, I didn't get much of that. It seemed a bit..flat...(pardon the pun) Anne probably wouldn't be the best, but I think such a role would have been good for her. She could have used this to further break away from her type-cast of comedy. I really want to see her in more demanding roles, and although she's doing okay in humorous movies, I'm hoping to see more from her. Christine's character would have been a good step for her, IMO. Honestly, I can't say I'd care much for either of them(since I am unsure of Anne's true range, or if either Anne or Emmy could grow in that fach's direction under serious training, etc), but if I had to pick between, I'd probably go for Anne.

I am sorry to say this in so forward a way, but if what you just said is true, than you probably just don't like opera. Both Christine and Carlotta are opera singers. Carlotta is a humorous role in the musical, therefore, she is supposed to sound 'past her prime'. But not awful. ALW changed Phantom of the Opera to more 'pop' than true opera, therefore, the way Emmy sang is not 'opera', per se. If you want opera, try out 'The Magic Flute', with amazing songs like 'Der Holle Rache'. Perhaps things from 'Tales of Hoffman', like 'Glitter and be Gay'. Maybe you'll like what is called 'The Jewel Song' from 'Faust'. THOSE are opera. Trained singers who sing in the operattic style, much like Christine Daae's would have been. If you don't like Sarah Brightman, or Carlotta, then at least realized(please) that you prefer 'pop opera' more than 'opera', and that this is merely a difference in stylistic tastes, not one singer being 'better sounding' than the other.

I just wanted to clarify that.
I have to say that I agree with both of these posts. I don't know why ALW wanted someone who was sixteen, because Christine isn't even that age. I know that the musical was changed a bit from the book, but being a trained singer myself, I know that however good someone is at sixteen, their not going to be as good as someone would be in their 20's.
Anne's voice is nice, but I don't know how much training she has. I don't know if she could pull off Christine as far as the singing went. As for Emmy, For being sixteen at the time of the fillm, she did a good job for someone her age. But, they had to lower things for her like think of me and that final high note in the title song for phantom, wasn't the same one that Brightman sang, and yeah, emmy's voice at times wasn't the best.
Also, like this last person said, Phantom Of the Opera isn't what you would call "real" opera. It would be more along the lines of pop opera. I do think however, that Christine and Carlotta should have different voices. Carlotta is suposed to sound a bit past her glory days and a bit unpleasant on the ears but; Christine's voice should be beautiful and pure, and like an angel.
Another thing you have to take into account with Carlotta is that it was all about what drew the crowds to the opera. Carlotta was for a time the name that brought in the money and that brought in people. Even if she wasn't good, it's all about what sells and what the people liked. For some odd reason, the people loved Carlotta.Christine was tought by the phantom and she should, sound different when she sings because she at one point had this amotionless voice, but then in the space of just six months, she came out with this voice that no one could describe it was that good.

Beneath the opera house, I know he's there.
He's with me on the stage, he's everywhere.
And when my song begins, I always find, the phantom of the opera is there, inside my mind.
"Christine Daaé! Where is your red scarf?"
You couldn't have lost it. After all the trouble I caused! I was just 14 and soked to the skin!"
"Because you had run into the sea to fech my scarf! Oh Raoul, so it is you!"
Roses, the color of blood filled her lap. In her hands she held a mask. She knew that her home was the house on the lake. Her angel of music would always be there singing songs in her head.
Are you so sure that a small jar would contain me, madame?
Three long years I've nelt in silence
Held your memory near me.
Three long years of murmured sorrow
Willing you to hear me...
“Passing bells and sculpted angels, cold and monumental...”
ChristineDaaeRosesOfMasks's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 28 | Posts: 1,907 | Roses: 0
Old 12-28-2015 at 07:39 PM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [34] »

Now that I've seen more of the different roles the two actresses have played before and after the POTO film came out, I think Anne would have been the better choice for Christine in 2004. Being four years older than Emmy, Anne would have been twenty at the time POTO was being filmed -- actually the right age for the character. And of the two, I think Anne showed greater acting range around that time. Although she was mostly known for The Princess Diaries, she had also been in The Other Side of Heaven and Nicholas Nickleby before 2004, and then was in Havoc and Brokeback Mountain in 2005. All of those roles were quite different from the Disney Princess character she was mostly known for, and so I think she was quite capable of the acting range that was needed for a role like Christine. By contrast, Emmy hadn't really gotten to show a whole lot of acting range until she started doing Shameless in 2011.

As for the singing, I think Anne could have done as well or better. It's unfortunate that she hasn't really gotten to show what she's capable of vocally in her films -- Les Misérables was much more about showcasing intense acting than the singing, and so even those in the cast who could sing well were made to sound rougher and grittier. At award shows and other live events where she got to sing, though, she's done very well. I think Emmy could sing at the level needed for a role like Christine now, judging by the times she's gotten to sing live at some events in recent years. But she really wasn't able to pull it off that well at age 16.

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Christine | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 32 | Roses: 10
Old 01-07-2016 at 07:46 PM
ChristineDaaeRosesOfMasks
Wandering Child
Erik's Student

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [35] »

I have to say that I agree with both of these posts. I don't know why ALW wanted someone who was sixteen, because Christine isn't even that age. I know that the musical was changed a bit from the book, but being a trained singer myself, I know that however good someone is at sixteen, their not going to be as good as someone would be in their 20's.
Anne's voice is nice, but I don't know how much training she has. I don't know if she could pull off Christine as far as the singing went. As for Emmy, For being sixteen at the time of the fillm, she did a good job for someone her age. But, they had to lower things for her like think of me and that final high note in the title song for phantom, wasn't the same one that Brightman sang, and yeah, emmy's voice at times wasn't the best.
Also, like this last person said, Phantom Of the Opera isn't what you would call "real" opera. It would be more along the lines of pop opera. I do think however, that Christine and Carlotta should have different voices. Carlotta is suposed to sound a bit past her glory days and a bit unpleasant on the ears but; Christine's voice should be beautiful and pure, and like an angel.
Another thing you have to take into account with Carlotta is that it was all about what drew the crowds to the opera. Carlotta was for a time the name that brought in the money and that brought in people. Even if she wasn't good, it's all about what sells and what the people liked. For some odd reason, the people loved Carlotta.Christine was tought by the phantom and she should, sound different when she sings because she at one point had this amotionless voice, but then in the space of just six months, she came out with this voice that no one could describe it was that good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beneath the opera house, I know he's there.
He's with me on the stage, he's everywhere.
And when my song begins, I always find, the phantom of the opera is there, inside my mind.
"Christine Daaé! Where is your red scarf?"
You couldn't have lost it. After all the trouble I caused! I was just 14 and soked to the skin!"
"Because you had run into the sea to fech my scarf! Oh Raoul, so it is you!"
Roses, the color of blood filled her lap. In her hands she held a mask. She knew that her home was the house on the lake. Her angel of music would always be there singing songs in her head.
Are you so sure that a small jar would contain me, madame?
Three long years I've nelt in silence
Held your memory near me.
Three long years of murmured sorrow
Willing you to hear me...
“Passing bells and sculpted angels, cold and monumental...”
ChristineDaaeRosesOfMasks's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 28 | Posts: 1,907 | Roses: 0
Old 01-08-2016 at 06:45 PM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [36] »

Very true. Casting a sixteen-year-old was entirely on the director, Joel Schumacher -- Andrew Lloyd Webber pretty much just let him do whatever he wanted. Which was unfortunate in a lot of ways.

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Linda | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 02-06-2016 at 05:53 PM
Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [37] »

I'm not a Princess Diaries fan, but I do like Ella Enchanted because it did give Anne Hathaway to sing. I had an opportunity to watch it not long ago.

I've always liked Somebody to Love, it's one of my favorite Queen tunes. I was a little skeptical that she could do the song. But her rendition is actually quite well done. The only nit I have was at the very end where she hits the high note. She seems a little weak there. But the prince is holding her and has taken her by surprise, so I suppose I could chalk that up to the story.

Since Phantom of the Opera is a more modern version than a classic opera, though, I think she would have done a much better job.

One thing about Emmy that I have noticed: There are a couple of scenes where she looks like a sixteen year old and that really detracts from the story in my opinion. The Phantom leering at her is much more creepy than a man admiring a 20 year old. That also detracts from the story because it makes him seem like a dirty old man rather than a man who is truly in love with her.

It's easy to believe Emmy would live in a childlike world. Most 16 year olds do. A 20 year old in the role would have made for better story telling, more angst and contradiction between what the character is, (an adult), to what she's still hanging on to (her childhood).
Designated Driver's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote