Name: Linda | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 11-04-2014 at 12:57 PM
Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [11]

All he says is he believed she put out her forehead a little so he could kiss it. It sounds to me like he didn't put his hands on her at all, he just kissed her forehead.

But even if he did grab her to kiss her, touching her with his hands was not important to him. If we're to believe him that is. Kissing her was because that's all he spoke of, how great it was to kiss someone on the forehead. He says it himself. He kissed her and she did not die. He does not say he kissed AND held her and she did not die.

Either he believed his kiss could kill or he didn't. If he didn't, then his statement to Daroga was a lie. It could have been sarcasm. In short, he's saying he's just like everyone else. Or maybe it was something else. Daroga starts the conversation by accusing Erik of murder. Perhaps Erik wanted to distract him.
Designated Driver's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Chiara | Gender: a young lady | Age: 20 | Posts: 103 | Roses: 10
Old 11-04-2014 at 07:31 PM
Flattering Child
Wandering Child
no emperor received so fair a gift

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [12]

I never talked about touching her with his hands o.O

Why? It was NOT a lie. He said she did not die. And she did not die. It would have been a lie if she'd have died. He didn't even say his kiss could kill. He only said she didn't die. He didn't even say he was surprised about it - even though he suggested it.

I interprete it that way: His kiss was the first time he "really" touched her, in his views. He didn't count the other times. But - having always been rejected until then - he worried how Christine would react on such a thing. He thought she might even die - but she simply let him kiss her. And he was not only lucky, but also relieved. He considered her steady reaction, the fact that she didn't die or faint or scream (of course, because he loved the drama, so he used the first term, even though I assume he expected it the least, which doesn't mean he didn't expect it) the greatest act of love towards him. The greatest act of love he has ever received.

It's also my favourite part in the book, I have to admit that.

Flattering Child's Profile Send Private Message Flattering Child's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2014 at 12:58 PM
Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [13]

I believe the only times Christine rejected his touch was when he used the chloroform because of the smell of death. He would have had to have touched her to help her into his carriage, give her his arm when walking about the lake, giving her his ring, etc. There's no other indication that Christine had to make herself steady in order to accept his touch. It seems once the smell of death and the memory of it no longer remained, she was fine with being touched by him, even after seeing his face.

He tells Daroga he kissed Christine and she didn't die, not that he touched her, really touched her for the very first time. He says he kissed her. There's nothing pointing to this being a lie, nothing stating he was exaggerating, and nothing to indicate he was trying to change the subject of the Count's death.

The only other explanation I can see is that he believed his kiss would kill Christine. He sincerely and truly believed it, just like he believed he was made of death from head to toe.

Name: Deedee | Gender: Girl | Posts: 14 | Roses: 10
Old 02-23-2015 at 07:39 PM
Whenasecretfalls
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [14]

I don't think his kiss could kill.
Whenasecretfalls's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2015 at 06:52 PM
Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [15]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whenasecretfalls View Post
I don't think his kiss could kill.
Yes, but that wasn't the question. I asked if Erik really believed his kiss could kill.