Lotte Potter
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [11]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designated Driver View Post
Thank you, Lotte. You also have a very good point. At the time when Erik builds the opera house and his own little dwelling, he is tired of the world and ready to retreat from it. Now he's never going to put his house up for sale, so he can build it in any way with any amount of rooms he wants. So why place another bed in a separate bedroom? unless he planned on having someone in that bedroom. Granted, he had to go out and get additional things for Christine once he kidnapped her, but the things he got were those that could be purchased immediately. Hauling a bed down to his lair and fixing the room up so that it's comfortable for her takes a little more time.

Just to throw a log out into the fire here, though, I wanted to ask a question about Raoul. I don't consider him as a spark to Erik's kindling. I get the impression from Leroux that Raoul is never on equal footing with Erik, even romantically. If he even for once considered Raoul a serious contender, Erik would have never allowed a play engagement.
Christine did bring a lot of deceptiveness into the picture. I think that Raoul did love her, but we see that Christine has to hide a lot to protect herself. She convinces Erik she doesn't mind his deformity so that she can be free, as well as comes back so that he is convinced she loves him, as we hear from the Persian's recounts with Erik. This is why I think he lets them play engagement. We see at first that he does consider Raoul a serious contender when he threatens to go back to "Heaven" if Christine shows her love for him. So she has to conceal it not at first and later to keep him from harming Raoul and taking her. Erik tells Christine that he wants Raoul to be as "happy" as he is before he leaves, which suggests to me, anyway, that Raoul does love her. He wants Raoul to be miserable like himself. I think that if he didn't love her, he wouldn't have gone after her while risking his life for her, impulsive or not.
Now that's not to say that Leroux wasn't more in favor of Erik.
Lotte Potter's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Linda | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 12-21-2014 at 04:43 PM
Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [12]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte Potter View Post
Christine did bring a lot of deceptiveness into the picture. I think that Raoul did love her, but we see that Christine has to hide a lot to protect herself. She convinces Erik she doesn't mind his deformity so that she can be free, as well as comes back so that he is convinced she loves him, as we hear from the Persian's recounts with Erik. This is why I think he lets them play engagement. We see at first that he does consider Raoul a serious contender when he threatens to go back to "Heaven" if Christine shows her love for him. So she has to conceal it not at first and later to keep him from harming Raoul and taking her. Erik tells Christine that he wants Raoul to be as "happy" as he is before he leaves, which suggests to me, anyway, that Raoul does love her. He wants Raoul to be miserable like himself. I think that if he didn't love her, he wouldn't have gone after her while risking his life for her, impulsive or not.
Now that's not to say that Leroux wasn't more in favor of Erik.
All true. Erik was jealous of Raoul. But right away he learns a something that is a huge factor in his favor. Christine can hide it all she wants, but Erik knows she loves Raoul and vice versa. However, they cannot ever marry and consummate their love because of their positions in society.

As a result, Leroux really give Erik a major edge over Raoul and shows us that even though Raoul loves Christine and she loves him, he's no threat to Erik in any way.
Designated Driver's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Anne | Gender: Female | Posts: 66 | Roses: 10
Old 12-21-2014 at 05:29 PM
Lotte Potter
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [13]

Quote:
All true. Erik was jealous of Raoul. But right away he learns a something that is a huge factor in his favor. Christine can hide it all she wants, but Erik knows she loves Raoul and vice versa. However, they cannot ever marry and consummate their love because of their positions in society.

As a result, Leroux really give Erik a major edge over Raoul and shows us that even though Raoul loves Christine and she loves him, he's no threat to Erik in any way.
Okay, I see what you mean. He does have an edge, definitely.

Name: Linda | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 12-21-2014 at 06:01 PM
Designated Driver
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte Potter View Post
Okay, I see what you mean. He does have an edge, definitely.
You know, it's really too bad though. Raoul has all of these fine qualities that would polarize Erik's and so, would have added fuel and tension to the story. It seems a waste to reduce it down to the fact that their position in society is the thing that keeps Raoul and Christine from being together.
Designated Driver's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Anne | Gender: Female | Posts: 66 | Roses: 10
Old 12-21-2014 at 07:38 PM
Lotte Potter
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [15]

Quote:
You know, it's really too bad though. Raoul has all of these fine qualities that would polarize Erik's and so, would have added fuel and tension to the story. It seems a waste to reduce it down to the fact that their position in society is the thing that keeps Raoul and Christine from being together.
They are together at the end. I don't think Raoul cared about his position in society. It was Phillipe, and Christine insisted he leave for the North Pole because it ruined her careful balance of things, if you get what I mean. Society is a problem at first, and since Raoul is already leaving, they can be happy for that little while and she can protect him at the same time
But seriously, it is too bad. ALW sort of took it up a notch, I think, and let the romantic situations expand and become a bit more tensed. In my opinion, he made the story less horror and more romance, which allowed it.