The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom The House on the Lake The Enchanted Violin
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Steve | Gender: Male | Age: 29 | Posts: 2,021 | Roses: 35
Old 04-08-2005 at 05:34 PM
The Phantom
Wandering Child
House Patron
Without you, I die.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Gaston Leroux's Book  Post [1]

How did you like the book in general? I'm about three fourths of the way through the book so far, and I think its an interesting start to the Phantom series. Some aspects of the book are new to me, though I've enjoyed it so far. What do you generally like in the book in general?
The Phantom's Profile Send Private Message The Phantom's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 28 | Posts: 333 | Roses: 10
Old 04-09-2005 at 03:15 PM
cinty
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2]

I quite enjoy the book by Leroux. It's an interesting aspect. I think, you don't feel as sorry for Erik as you do in the musical. I do pity him a little, but in the movie I was crying for him and with him. But the book has more details- for example, you actually KNOW what "hand at the leven of your eyes" means and the real story of Erik's past and so on. I've read it three times and I always enjoy it quite alot.

Please join:Erik\'s Phans!,Exceptional Beauties and Erik\'s Lair
I am a Raoul/Christine shipper and PROUD of it!!!
cinty's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: KT Mae | Gender: Hungry Chipmunk | Age: 28 | Posts: 4,322 | Roses: 25
Old 04-09-2005 at 03:40 PM
The Khanum
Ballet Mistress
House Patron
DAZLIOUS

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3]

I thought it was okay...I know, I should love it because it's the original, it's the one that started it all. But Erik just seemed too...pathetic, I guess. Not human enough...like Christine's love for him was more like pitiful affection, not true love.

I don't know if I should post this here, but the Kay book was...absolutely incredible. Definitely my favorite book of all times...I cry every time I read it. The way she describes Erik and his past, with his mother and Nadir and Giovanni and the gypsies...it's kind of like this little saying I heard once:

"Leroux gave the Phantom life,
Kay gave the Phantom a soul,
Webber gave the Phantom a voice,
but I gave the Phantom love!"

It's true...Kay made Erik human, someone you could cry over, someone you could fall in love with...as I did. :) In that book, Erik is my hero (even though he is a murderer and drug addict...yes, Erik IS a drug addict in the Kay novel). If you haven't read it, try you're very hardest to find it. But since it's out of print, I'll give the link to the online version (where somebody actually took the time to type out a 400 page novel...)

Susan Kay's PHANTOM

It takes a while to load...just be patient! ;)

~The_Phantom_is_Sexy

♦ so why did you bawl from the spell of some old holy song? ♦

some liar laughed as he composed, some liar i loved to control
<b>The Khanum</b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b>The Khanum</b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2005 at 07:45 AM
cinty
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4]

Oh thankyou for that link! I have been desperately wanting to read that! Well, when I have time, I will try and go read it.

Old 04-13-2005 at 04:03 AM
The Khanum
Ballet Mistress
House Patron
DAZLIOUS

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5]

Glad to be of service! It is truly an inspirational piece of work. Let me know what you think of it!

~The_Phantom_is_Sexy

<b>The Khanum</b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b>The Khanum</b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Em | Gender: female | Age: 26 | Posts: 1,380 | Roses: 210
Old 04-16-2005 at 05:23 PM
Opera Ghost
Wandering Child
House Patron
i worship cheesecake

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6]

I've read a book name "The Phantom Of The Opera" but as I didn't realise there are different versions of the book I didn't note the authors name. It was a really good book, I enjoyed it greatly. Erik was portrayed as a monsterm, who although he was desribed as a living corpse, was still kind and loving towards Christine although very tricky and somewhat cruel to others (such as Raoul) but okayish towards the Persian. I don't know who the author was.. maybe one of you could tell me? There was stuff about a frog &amp; and a grasshopper, and a forest of death, a torture room, lots about the lake, and it also mentioned a rat hunter &amp; mentioned several times the exact place where Buquets body was found (between the sets somewhere..can't remember) and also Caeser was mentioned - the grey horse that was taken by Erik.

No day but today
Opera Ghost's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2005 at 08:27 PM
The Khanum
Ballet Mistress
House Patron
DAZLIOUS

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7]

That was Gaston Leroux...he wrote the original. It was written first in French (being that is Leroux's nationality), but has been translated into English. Susan Kay wrote an extention to the novel (in English) in 1991, and it details Erik's entire life, from birth and his life with his mother Madeleine to his encounter with the gypsies to his apprenticeship to Giovanni to his adventures in Persia with his first (and only) friend, Nadir, and finally to Paris, where he builds the Opera Garnier/Opera Populaire and meets Christine.

Sorry...that explanation was kind of long, but I am fairly obsessed with that book. Okay, forget the "fairly" part, I eat, drink, sleep, OBSESS UNHEALTHILY about Kay's PHANTOM. Yay for the mask! Woot-woot! I'd definitely recommend using that link I provided up there ^.

There's also another version, "Phantom of Manhattan"...but most phans don't consider it an actual version, persay...

~The_Phantom_is_Sexy

Old 04-17-2005 at 05:31 AM
cinty
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8]

I still haven't read it, haven't had time, but will as soon as I can! It sounds great!

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 05-02-2005 at 02:16 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9]

ALW's musical (particularly the OLC recordings) was my first encounter with POTO. After hearing the music, I became curious about the many other versions of the story. I went to the school library and checked out The Complete Phantom of the Opera, and learned many things. 1) The story was based on a real opera house, 2) There were several film versions, and 3) The origin of the legend was a novel by Gaston Leroux. I knew instantly that I would have to find it and read it the first chance I had. To my delight, I found it in the school library, read it in 2 days, and checked it out endlessly after that until I finally bought my own copy. I absolutely love it because it helped me to understand the story and characters a lot more. I love the way Leroux made the story seem real, as if he were a journalist investigating actual events. (He was once a journalist, so he knew all about how to do that.) It took me a while to accept that Christine was blonde, Erik had a black mask, Mme. Giry was not the ballet mistress, and the managers had different names, but I loved the novel and think there should be a film that is as close to the source material as possible.

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2005 at 06:48 AM
cinty
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10]

OG the version of Phantom you read was the one by Leroux, as someone above said. That is the version the musical is based on. I have an old program of the stage show which someone gave me and it had all sorts of interviews with ALW, Charles Hart, Cameron Mackintosh etc, who all explained how it was based on the novel by Leroux. It's interesting, about how it is based on it and yet alot of it is relaly quite different....