The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » Beyond the Paris Opera » The Masked Ball » The Final Threshold » The Finished Score
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Aviana | Gender: Ange de Musique | Posts: 98 | Roses: 10
Old 06-25-2010 at 08:34 PM
Soprano Rose
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [61] »

I've been training classically since I was 11. I've been in love with opera since I was about 12. Since then I've basically been doing my research and watching old footage from the greats and am still with the same teacher, she's a very well-trained classical singer, and my voice (and confidence) has grown so much in the years I've been taking from her. I've worked on a few arias like "O Mio Babbino Caro" and am currently working on "Rejoice Greatly, O Daughter of Zion" from Handel's "Messiah". I've asked her if we could start working on "Batti, Batti, O Bel Massetto" from "Don Giovanni", but she seems to have forgotten about it. lol

As for my favorite operas, I agree with you that Mozart and Puccini are "the men", but I also love Rossini, Gounod, and Verdi. "Le Nozze di Figaro", "Tosca", "Don Giovanni', "La Traviata" ... the list goes on. I also have to mention Gounod's "Faust" because it's the first opera I ever heard and it is to blame for my obsession. After seeing "Romeo et Juliette", I have to say that one ranks pretty high on the list as well. I absolutely love the poison aria in the second act!

So who are your favorite singers/performers?

EDIT: Just came across this and thought you might enjoy it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zmwRitYO3w
Soprano Rose's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 06-25-2010 at 09:22 PM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [62] »

YES!!! Rossini equals love! He was a beast mode guy. Handel's rather fantastic as well. I'm so glad you know what you're talking about with opera. So many people don't. Not only does that make me mad, it makes me sad as well.

As far as my fellow sopranos go, I love Renee Fleming and Anna Netrebko. I also really enjoy Natalie Dessay and Diana Damrau. I saw Natalie in La Fille du Regiment, and she was fantastic. I saw Renee in Der Rosenkavelier and she did amazing. And I saw Andrea Bocelli in Il Cavaleria Rusticana when he was in town. I cried.
And by six degrees of separation, I gave Jose Carreras flowers. Yes, ma'am, I am the proud owner of flowers touched by him.

At the moment, I'm working on "Glitter and be Gay" from Candide and "Un Bel Di" from (as you probably know) Madama Butterfly. I was going to do "O Mio Babbino Caro", but I went with "Glitter and be Gay instead", mainly because I like high E's and flashyness. haha

Opera is actually where I learned most of my italian. But unfortunately because of ignorant, uncultured peers, I stopped my opera training for a year and thus stopped my practicing my Italian. But I digress.

I loved that video. Thanks for sharing! I espescially enjoyed the old woman with the Starbucks cup. It made me smile more than I already was.

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2010 at 07:47 PM
Soprano Rose
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [63] »

YAY! A fellow Rossini fan! I agree, I hate it when people try to make an argument, but have no idea what they're talking about!

I saw Anna Netrebko in "Romeo et Juliette" on the big screen this past Wednesday. She's not one of my favorite singers, but she's very beautiful and I liked her in the poison aria (which you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhCm2PHxHaM). The audience actually started applauding after this aria, and they hadn't done so all night! I really like Renee Flemming, she was the first opera singer I ever really got into. A friend of my dad's actually met her, and I believe got to know her quite well. He said she was a real sweetheart. (His wife at the time was an opera singer, and he got to see many operas at the Met and meet many of the greats including Pavarotti! *jealous!*) I also really like Natalie Dessay, and Diana Damrau's Queen of the Night is fabulous! That's cool that you got to see Andrea Bocelli.

As for my favorite singers, I'm a bit old fashioned. As far as my fellow mezzos go, I love
Marilyn Horne and Frederica von Stade, and for sopranos I like Joan Sutherland and Maria Callas, among others. For the men, Jussi Bjorling and Enrico Caruso.

Those are two great pieces you're working on. "Glitter and be Gay" is such a fun song, you can go as over-the-top with it as you want, and "Un Bel Di" is just gorgeous.

I've learned quite a bit of Italian and French from listening to opera, as well. I was surprised at how much I understood when I saw "Romeo et Juliette". Are you learning/fluent in any foreign languages?

Glad you enjoyed the video.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot to mention Rosa Ponselle!

Old 06-27-2010 at 05:44 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [64] »

I like Jussi Bjorling and Enrico Caruso as well! I also like Jose Cura, but no one I know has ever heard of him. I saw Nathan Gunn in 'The Magic Flute' and I saw Carmen recently. It was beautiful.
I do like Joan Sutherland (espescially in 'La Fille du Regiment'), but, unfortunately, I'm not that big a fan of Maria Callas. I know, call me a blasphamist. I just never really got into her as much as I had hoped.

No, I'm not fluent in any other language, but I'm taking Spanish in school, I used to be really really good at Italian, but I lost a lot of it. One of my sister's first languages was Russian and she's teaching me that.

masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010 at 12:29 AM
Soprano Rose
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [65] »

Nah, you're not a blasphamist. I actually wasn't all that into Callas when I first heard her.

Habla usted Español? Impresionante! Spanish is my first language, though I'm a little rusty now, so I'm taking a refresher. That's cool that you're learning Russian. It seems like such a difficult language. I'm teaching myself French and Italian.

I recently saw "La Boheme" on the big screen with Angela Gheorghiu. It was great! The sets were incredible.

Old 07-18-2010 at 01:24 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [66] »

I know!!! The behind scenes the look was awesome! Paper for snow? That's a lot paper!!

I haven't seen an opera in a while, I need to get back out there to watch them.