Name: Cassandra/Cass | Gender: Female | Age: 22 | Posts: 58 | Roses: 10
Old 07-09-2009 at 08:32 PM
*Obsessed*
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [21]

Hello again. I'm in need of some advice/tips. I auditioned for the school play this year. This will be my very first time doing it.

I haven't tried out before because I get very scared about singing infront of people. Groups scare me. But I decided that it's time to get over my fears and let everyone hear my voice if I wish to be a singer when I get older.

So would any of you loverly people have any advice or tips to help me out? All would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Cass.

(Free to RP!!)
"There is only one happiness in life, to Love and be Loved."- George Sand
*Obsessed*'s Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 07-09-2009 at 08:56 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [22]

The best advice I can give you is during the audition you must keep your cool. Just remember that no one there means you ill or hate and most the people there want you to succeed.

To prepare your voice, I suggest not drinking milk (especailly chocolate) or any kind of citrus juice. And no soda. In fact, just drink water that day. Warm up before hand if you can and when the time comes just take a deep breath and give it your all.

Good luck :)
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009 at 09:14 PM
*Obsessed*
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [23]

Thank you. :]
We're doing the musical Honk! and I just checked and I've got the part of Queenie.
Being a first-timer, any and all advice is welcome. :]
Thanks.

(Free to RP!!)

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:15 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [24]

awww... we got ourselves a preformance virgin!!! I love you guys! *oicks up and hugs tightly*

I don;t know much about Honk! but congrats on getting a part. first auditions are always tough... Good job. Kudos to you.

Anyways, know that rehearsals and the play will always be first priorety. Anything else has to file in after that. Its just so you don't miss rehearsals or get yelled at by the director for being late ect, ect, ect... but there are the extenuating circustances in which it should be okay to put it at... say... second.

And if the director tells you to do something, DO IT never make excuses. The director has it a certain way in their mind and you have to follow it.

These are just little rules that must be obeyed, but its like, common sense. if you have any certain, specific questions, I'm always checking out this thread, so feel free to ask them. ;)

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2009 at 03:58 AM
*Obsessed*
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [25]

Thank you very much!! I'll be sure to keep all that in mind.

Now I get very nervous with big groups of people....[ So could you help me out there? And what would be a good way to widen my range?

Thanks for everything gals.

(Free to RP!!)

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 07-10-2009 at 04:15 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [26]

On nerves- This may sound werid, but blow on your thumb. it refocuses your mind and slows down your heart rate... It always helps me before a preformance.

And as for widening your range- its safer for your voice to expand up instread of down. Expanding down is more risky unless you're recieving extreme lessons. But I digress. Expand up by finding the highest note of your range and try singing just above teh pitch and sing a bit higher from there until you get to a whole half step (if that phrase made any sense...a whole half step..?). Taht is, if your highest nite is a high C, try to very carefully sing to a C#. That was how I always did it, but I'm sure there are better, other, safer ways to do it....

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2009 at 04:21 AM
*Obsessed*
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [27]

Thank you very much for your tips!!! I will certainly try them!

(Free to RP!!)

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 07-10-2009 at 05:44 AM
The Countess
Wandering Child

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [28]

Oh, congratulations on the role! Viktoria's never gotten a lead...

I agree with everything that Chrissy said above and further exphasize my advice again. Just breathe and give it your all. Also remember that no audience is different than another, they're just faces in the crowd. I always used to pretend that they were cut-outs of people and not the actual thing.

Congrats again, darling. Post of video of the performance if you can :)
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 07-10-2009 at 06:23 AM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [29]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Countess View Post
The best advice I can give you is during the audition you must keep your cool. Just remember that no one there means you ill or hate and most the people there want you to succeed.

To prepare your voice, I suggest not drinking milk (especailly chocolate) or any kind of citrus juice. And no soda. In fact, just drink water that day. Warm up before hand if you can and when the time comes just take a deep breath and give it your all.

Good luck :)
I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but you can take a rather mild version of tea and add pepper and honey. Add more pepper for clearing your nasal issues or the honey for a sore throat. Keep the two down to a normal amount if you just need a regular soother. I'm not sure how this would work with you, but it works miracles for me ;)

For nerves, I take my hand and spread the fingers apart and lightly squeeze between the fingers at the base. Where your two fingers join at the palm is what I mean...

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2009 at 08:29 PM
The Countess
Wandering Child

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [30]

Oh yeah, I know that stuff. It's awful. I personally drink this tea with these speical herbs that collect at the bottom. God, it's SO disgusting. But, as you said, these things do wonders for your voice.

I've been working on extending my range a tad bit so I can reach things above a C without much strain, any tips?