The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » The Lair of the Phantom » Don Juan Triumphant » Reflecting Mirrors
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: | Gender: | Age: 28 | Posts: 333 | Roses: 10
Old 09-13-2005 at 06:23 AM
cinty
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Peter Karrie [The Phantom]  Post [1] »

This man possibly does one of the best portrayals of the Phantom ever. His voice is unusual for a Phantom, but amazing. His final lair was so full of emotion that very few people escape seeing him without being heartbreakingly shattered. How many of you have had the good fortune to see/hear him? He is definitely one of my favourites.. and I've heard many. :)

Please join:Erik\'s Phans!,Exceptional Beauties and Erik\'s Lair
I am a Raoul/Christine shipper and PROUD of it!!!
cinty's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 09-15-2005 at 02:55 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2] »

At the moment, he's tied with Michael Crawford as my favorite ALW Phantom. His voice is indeed very unique (which is good for a Phantom actor, IMO). His portrayal is one of the most over-the top and most emotional that I've heard. Apparently, he had no professional voice training at all, which makes his performance even more amazing. I would definitely have loved to see him perform live.

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Posts: 40 | Roses: 10
Old 09-15-2005 at 03:25 AM
operafreak84
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3] »

Quote:
Originally posted by IamErik771
At the moment, he's tied with Michael Crawford as my favorite ALW Phantom. His voice is indeed very unique (which is good for a Phantom actor, IMO). His portrayal is one of the most over-the top and most emotional that I've heard. Apparently, he had no professional voice training at all, which makes his performance even more amazing. I would definitely have loved to see him perform live.
Yes, it's amazing how some Phantoms don't need tons of training - they just have so much natural talent already. JOJ is another example. I think I heard him say one time that "I've never had a proper voice lesson."

It\'s a cast recording, not a soundtrack.;)
operafreak84's Profile Send Private Message operafreak84's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 09-15-2005 at 04:36 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4] »

Naturally talented... just like Erik himself! :D I didn't know that JOJ was also an untrained singer. You'd never guess by listening to him perform as Erik or Valjean.

Does anyone know whether Peter Karrie has played a role in any other musical besides POTO?

<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 28 | Posts: 333 | Roses: 10
Old 09-15-2005 at 05:35 AM
cinty
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5] »

Yes, he played in Pride and Prejudice and Les Mis. :) I have some songs of him in Pride and Prejudice, if you'd like me to send you some. With Claire Moore.
Yeap, he's my tie favourite with MC too.. and Anthony. :) Just the most amazing voices, all of them.

Please join:Erik\'s Phans!,Exceptional Beauties and Erik\'s Lair
I am a Raoul/Christine shipper and PROUD of it!!!
cinty's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2005 at 04:12 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6] »

Ooh, could you please send me some? :)

Old 03-11-2008 at 09:25 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7] »

Double-posting . . . but then again, it's been quite a while since the last post, anyway. XD

I was looking around online, and found this great interview with PK. It seems like he really understood the character and how best to approach the role. Also, I got to hear a recording of him as Jean Valjean in Les Misérables a while back. His voice is just phenomenal. :D

Name: Erin *lists several nicknames* | Gender: Une mademoiselle | Posts: 53 | Roses: 10
Old 04-15-2008 at 01:27 AM
Ingenuous Soprano
Wandering Child
Elisabeth...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8] »

Peter Karrie is an excellent Phantom. Not too happy with his voice (it's better than Colm for this), but I love his Final Lair. He goes crazy, jumping from one thought to another ... Like in certain chapters of the book.

Proud Raoul Phan. You've just got to love him!
"Lehr’ mich wieder ohne Angst zu leben..."
"Wenn ich tanzen will, dann tanz ich so wie's mir gefällt...
"Han kom till mig en natt, som i en dröm... Hans röst var manande men ändå öm..."
I now have a thing for Swedish...
Ingenuous Soprano's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2008 at 10:46 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9] »

Heh heh . . . Two bits of PK news from this Phan! A while back, I got the solo album he mentioned in the interview I posted above. 'Tis called "Theatrically Yours," and has "Music of the Night" as the first track (with an absolutely awesome intro; possibly the best I've heard for an album version of that song). It also features solos and duets (with Claire Moore, a fantastic London Christine) from Pride and Prejudice, Shogun, Evita, Chess, and Jesus Christ Superstar.

Also, I got to hear some clips from a concept album he recorded for a musical called Nosferatu. From what I can tell, it's based on the Dracula story and characters, and features many POTO and Les Misérables cast members -- Peter Karrie, of course, is a former Phantom and Valjean . . . Claire Moore (Mina) played Christine in London, and recently got the role of Madame Thénardier in LM. Mark Wynter (Prof. Van Helsing) is a former Andre and Erik understudy, and Mario Frangoulis (Jonathan) once played Raoul and Marius. Also, Barry James (Renfield) was Thénardier on the Complete Symphonic Recording of LM (and also made an amazing Beadle in Sweeney Todd).

So yes, I highly recommend both of these CDs to any phan of Peter's. I know I'll be buying Nosferatu in full as soon as I get home. :D

ETA: A truly wonderful article from the Eastern Express, Hong Kong.

Quote:
When five-year-old Adam Karrie first saw his father in the full makeup of his disfigured character, The Phantom of the Opera, he was not at all frightened by the transformation in his good-looking dad. But after he watched the first act of the musical, in which the Phantom rages at the heroine, Christine Daae, the tiny Adam did some raging of his own in the dressing room. "How dare you shout at that lovely lady!!" he admonished his father.

Peter Karrie, 48, is talking about his six children, smiling fondly through a hideous harelip as his face undergoes the change from that of a ruggedly handsome family man to the deformed visage of the tormented Phantom. We are privileged to share the gruesome secret of the Phantom: the makeup magic applied by Samantha Rumball, a delightful young woman from Newcastle, England, who has been "on the road" with the show for four years.

It is a lengthy, painstaking process which Karrie estimates he has sat through more than 2,000 times. He has arrived a little late. He has apologized graciously to Rumball, slipped into a dressing gown and eased into the makeup chair. She takes over. In a role reversal of the musical, the woman is in control of the Phantom.

Normally, the pair of them listen to music as Rumball goes about her work. "We put on a tape and turn up the volume. We have it loud - classical, jazz, the blues. Lately it has been Sting," says Karrie. But now, to ease the interview conversation, we are not listening to the music of the night.

It is a race against time as the clock ticks remorselessly towards 8:25 pm and the Phantom's appearance on stage. But if Rumball feels the pressure, she certainly does not show it. Her fingers work deftly, swiftly and surely with the cool precision of the genuine professional.

Her first step is to smear barrier cream over the star's face to protect it against the glue which is applied to keep the bald cap, a skin-coloured latex layer which covers Karrie's mass of slightly greying hair. "I have this done eight times a week and it can tell on the skin if it is not properly protected," says Karrie. Two prosthetic pieces of fragile foam, which provide the blistering deformities, are then stretched across Karrie's nose and lips and the right side of his face and glued firmly into place. These items, already painted by Rumball to define the scars, are made from a mould developed from a cast of the actor's face. They would fit no other Phantom, since each Phantom and his understudy have different faces. His pieces are stamped with the initials PK. Karrie remembers vividly the ordeal of this other form of "casting".

"They covered my entire head with plaster of Paris. I had two straws sticking out of my nose to enable me to breathe. The weight of the stuff was enormous and I had to sit there for an hour or two. They said to me, Relax. Breathe gently'. I'm inside this mass of plaster. I can't see, I can't hear, I can't speak and they are telling me to breathe normally. You try breathing through two straws up your nose for an hour or more."

The familiar ugliness is taking shape on the right side. Rumball then paints "the handsome side" of the Phantom's face. "Peter has a great face," she says. It is a professional assessment, which the star endorses. "I don't sweat on the face a lot, which is important." It helps the glue to do its job and the entire edifice of ugliness to stay in place. Though his lips appear deformed, beneath the makeup Karrie's own mouth, albeit constrained, is still free to talk. One of the striking features of his performance is his diction, and his comments come through with a practised clarity. "You have to keep hitting those consonants," he explains. And he does - even from the makeup chair.

It is time to wire him for sound. Part of the spectacle of The Phantom is that he is not confined to the stage. Audiences never know where he is going to appear next. In one scene he turns up high above the curtains. But his curses and his threats can always be heard. The secret of it is that he has two miniature microphones - one of them a backup - fixed to the side of his temple. Rumball tapes them in place and runs the wires down Karrie's back to a battery pack on his waist.

Next she reaches for the Phantom alopecia wig. Alopecia is a disease which causes the hair to fan out in patches, leaving the scalp with sparse strands of hair. As if he has not got enough handicaps, the Phantom is also stricken with this. It an adds to his ugliness. Eight o'clock is pressing and Rumball has almost completed the metamorphosis in just over an hour. The final step is to top Karrie off with that she calls his "handsome wig". This is a severely sleeked, Latin hair style in the fashion of Rudolph Valentino. Reminded of this, Karrie growls jokingly: "Let me take you to the casbah." It fits neatly.

Without fuss Rumball has created her Phantom once more, and with more than 10 minutes to spare. Karrie thanks her and leaves to make a few telephone calls and do a voice test before going out to face another full house at the Cultural Centre. He is remarkably relaxed and poses for further photographs in the silver mask, swirling black cape and elegant wide-brimmed hat that complete his late 19th century costume.

Karrie is one gweilo who does not find the humidity of Hong Kong a curse. "It is good for my voice," he says. "A bit of moisture m the air helps the singing voice. But the cold air of air-conditioning is bad for the vocal chords. I take a breath and it really tightens up the throat. It makes it particularly difficult with the softer tones." Humidity and the heat also make it easier for him to remove the makeup after the show. It just peels off that much more smoothly. Even so, it takes him 20 minutes to half-an-hour to free himself completely of Rumball's artistry. Then the prosthetics and bald cap are thrown away; only the wigs are retained, the makeup artist explains.

Things do not invariably go as smoothly as on this occasion for Rumball. She recalls one evening when she thought she had lost her glue. Luckily she found some. And on another evening she discovered the supply of bald caps was almost exhausted. "I told them: No bald cap, no makeup, no Phantom, no show'," she says. The following day an enormous replenishment of bald caps arrived.

The Phantom is an instantly recognizable figure. Nobody ever asks "Who was that masked man??" But without the makeup Karrie is hardly ever stopped by fans. "I have been recognized in the street, but only by the regulars - the true Phantomphiles who have seen the show many times. But even the doorman gets to be famous with Phantomphiles," he laughs. "A lot of the cast don't even recognize me without my makeup on."

A distinguishing feature of Karrie's portrayal is the compelling sensuality of his Phantom. His lithe, sinuous movements as he woos Christine Daae exude an erotic power that transcends her fear of him. These came naturally to him, he says. "When you have your face covered and you can't convey feelings through facial expression, you have to use your body. The Phantom is not the type of person to force himself on her, so he has to make her love him. He cannot tear off his mask and say, Hey, look at me. I am handsome.' He has to arouse her some other way."

There is much of himself in the characterization he has created, Karrie suggests. "You put your own emotions and feelings into it. It is a story of unrequited love. Everyone has felt rejection in the love stakes at some time or other, I guess... Yet, I think she loves him to a certain extent. But then he disappears into the night. Maybe there will be a Phantom Mark II in a couple of years." He sounds as though he would enjoy that prospect.

Does he like the character of the Phantom?? "I would not say I like him. I am glad he is not a relative of mine. Maybe I could accept him as a distant cousin. He does bump off a couple of people along the way," he reminds us.

Name: Catherine Fearnley | Gender: Female | Posts: 3 | Roses: 10
Old 09-17-2010 at 04:49 PM
KarriesAngel
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10] »

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenuous Soprano View Post
Peter Karrie is an excellent Phantom. Not too happy with his voice (it's better than Colm for this), but I love his Final Lair. He goes crazy, jumping from one thought to another ... Like in certain chapters of the book.
Only just found this thread so forgive me, am a new member trying to find my way around the forum, but surely the whole idea of an actor in the Phantom role is to make the character sound and look crazy as the Phantom is a little crazy not tot mention a full blown killer. Peter for me is the Phantom, I have seen others ie Dave Willets but I don't think Dave's voice is as powerful as Peter's.
KarriesAngel's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote