The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom Don Juan Triumphant Reflecting Mirrors
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Lynn | Gender: female | Age: 35 | Posts: 68 | Roses: 10
Old 10-12-2009 at 10:17 AM
lynn82md
Wandering Child
The Lone Entertainer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [11]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Countess View Post
I know that this is a popular thread in some other boards, so I though that it would be interesting to discuss here. Do you want to play Christine on Braodway or anywhere else? Do you think that you have the training or chops to complete such a role? Are you prepared to face the hardships of showbiz? Discuss, chicas
To be honest, when it comes to the musical Christine...absolutely not. I cannot sing by myself as I'm extremely tone deaf. I cannot hear notes. I think if the role didn't have a singing part to it, I can do it. However, as long as singing is required of Christine, I cannot play the role.

On the other hand...the adaptation I'm writing of POTO, which circulates around dance instead of singing, I could definitely play that Christine since I'm a trained and experience dancer.
lynn82md's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Pam | Gender: female | Posts: 46 | Roses: 10
Old 11-02-2009 at 09:18 PM
Eriklover
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [12]

I have been wanting to get pointe training but id proberbly need to loose weight, not being skinny. they would proberbly tell me to loose weight before pointe. Do you need ballet training before joing en pointe? that would make some sense that you have to have some ballet training,right? But im willing to get ballet traning before pointe.
also i dont have the vocal training for such a role. I will need more vocal traning for such a role.sadly i do not have that :( Also the voice has to be well trained to go out and sing your heart out each performance and still keep your voice ready for the next performance the next night. and also keeping up the stamina for another performance. and im not good with keeping up stamina for all those performance! id proberbly be yawning on stage as The Phantom sings Music Of The Night I would still love to play her though!
Eriklover's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 11-02-2009 at 09:59 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [13]

It is suggested that you are a healthy weight to start pointe lesson but also make sure that you have at least nine--or eleven or seven--years of ballet training under your belt. I mean, the weight thing is an issue because that's how I got all of my issues because regardless of my high metabolism I still have loads of muscle mass. So it's a matter of height and even weight distribution for a proper balance. I mean the reason I have injuries is because of my naturally frail bone structure. I mean my family genetics in bone structure is NOT at all meant for dance. It's such a major issues with my want of dancing :( but once again DANCE is not the major component to Christine Daae's character.

Vocal's is what really matters. You can have a clutz on pointe shoes but if she sounds like an angel and everything else that is expect of her and she's dance teach-able...you never know. It's not likely, but you never know. Christine Daae: by far the much difficult part to have. Trying to add up to many other Daaes and many other movies, book portrayals and at least trying to come close to an original character...you got a load on your plate me'deary.

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Aviana | Gender: Ange de Musique | Posts: 98 | Roses: 10
Old 11-02-2009 at 11:46 PM
Soprano Rose
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [14]

I would love to play Christine, but, unfortunately, I have no dance training whatsoever. Though, like Patricia said, that shouldn't be to much of a problem if you can sing well. I mean, I have the range, and I'm training in opera, but I don't exactly look the part. I look more like Leroux's version of Christine, as opposed to Webber's.

Also, like Hannah mentioned earlier, I would bring too much of how I see Christine's character in my portrayal, and some directors probably wouldn't like that.
Soprano Rose's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 11-03-2009 at 02:53 AM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [15]

The first thing about getting a part is watch how most directors have seen the performance. Basically look at the original and a few others (Patti and a few others after her and Sarah), watch how they portrayed the character. Add a small bit of what you want, but really the trick is to kiss up to any director if you really want the part. If you feel rebellious go for something completely outta the ballpark. Calculated risk--anyone else know what I'm talking about?--is what it's all about. If your feeling spontaneous make use of it. Just know that the director may love it, like it, or want to kill you for thinking about portraying the character in such a way.

It really depends on how lucky you are. Besides talent the musical theater world is about connects, talent, but mostly LUCK. YOu really have to shoot for the stars in the beginning. Once you make a name for yourself you might get a higher chance of getting the part, but still some well known Broadway stars have to back down and go to Hollywood. It depends on what the Broadway and Movie world want at the time. I'm seeing loads of new faces along with the co-star's rising to the top now. Well known people out there are starting to wear down a tad.

And as for the look of a Christine they're going for...if it's just your hair then a wig will suffice...or else there's always dying your hair if your willing. Well, most likely yes, if it gets you the part go and get that hair chanced! XD

Dance is part of the role and I think that it really matters in the beginning. Despite that fact that Christine only dances--mostly--in that Hannibal scene, she [the actress] has to look like she has been trained ever since pre-teen years or before. It is understood that she has been training as a child. Singing is what is new for her, but it is understood that she was trained by a wonderful teacher (of course she was!) so singing (from my Point of View of the character) would have to be about two steps better than her dancing. If I were to direct Phantom...well I would consider their voice first, but dancing is not tailing along too-too far. Guess what's above that though...acting!

ACTING:
Christine has to know how to put her character out there and be understood. That's something that I've seen in various interpretations of the character. Of course, they're all different, but they still do justices to her previous life before the Opera (from Andrew's perspective). You have to know what your doing and not show her off as someone who doesn't know the different from light and day, but yet you still have to be intrigued by the darkness of the Phantom's world and still be torn between Raoul and him at the same time. On top of that triangle, you still have to understand her father's death, her stardom pressure, and the fact that Erik could possibly kill her--he wouldn't, but he has the ability to do so. She's terrified, determined, strong, and slightly lost. What a unique character!

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Tasha | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 13 | Roses: 10
Old 01-12-2010 at 01:35 AM
angel of the night
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [16]

oh first of all I LOOVVEE anything to do with Theatre or musicals so if I got any major part in a show it would be amazing! the biggest role I've been able to play is Dorthy in my highschools version of Wizard of Oz But playing Christine is DEF a dream role for me! as with almost any girl into theatre! lol
I believe I would be able to pull it off singing wise I am a soprano I can hit christine notes, but I've never taken a dance lesson in my life..
in speaking of the movie Yes no doubt I would be able to do it!
but in speaking of broadway, eh maybe.. the dancing is the only thing I would have an issue with..
Ah I can see it now my name in lights on broadway hehe
angel of the night's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Sharon | Gender: Female | Posts: 100 | Roses: 10
Old 01-24-2010 at 06:17 AM
Edith
Wandering Child
The Phantom's Lover

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [17]

I love acting, I love singing, I'd love to play Christine (even at school me and my friends do a little acting club during our free time and I'm Chrisitne)..! But..! I have to many flaws!

My voice: OHH DEAR my voice!? I was definately NOT visited by the Angel of Music! I mean, I can reach the highest note, I can get into tune but... my voice in general is not the most pleasent sound you'll ever here. I was never confident about my voice no matter what others said. I was only lucky to be accepted as the main role in two of my school's musicals. But other than that, I can swear upon my life my voice is not fit to be Christine. Not without centuries of training that is.

My acting..? No. Just... no. My acting is worse than my singing. Really the only "acting" I can do is either stand in thr croud as one of the side-characters, sing and smile pretend like I don't have to do anything but that, or write something so detailed it's boring. Again, I only got the main roles by luck and nothing more.

My dancing: This is about the only thing I could pull off! I have taken classes for Tap, Jazz, and ballet for a few years now. So I guess I could do something with it. Thought I doubt it'd be something big.

Again, I'd adore to play Christine, but I'm just not fit for that job. Even not for dear, little, Meg Giry. It's either I'm horrible or I'm just not confident in myself. Any director who wants me as their Christine must be insane or extremely desparate like Sarah Brightman was murdered on the spot (which will never happen as long as I'm here) or something. Oh how I wish though! How I wish!
Edith's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Alyssa | Gender: Female | Posts: 12 | Roses: 10
Old 03-09-2010 at 01:25 AM
musiquedelanuit
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [18]

i don't want to sound like i'm bragging, but i feel like i could do it. I'm a soprano with Opera training, I've taken dance lessons and have basic knowledge so with a little training i think i'd have it. my acting is good and i look the part, long curly brown hair, tall etc. once again, i don't want to sound liek i'm bragging, but you asked the question so...
now as to whether i'd every actually get the part, doubtful. that business is more about who you know and luck than anything else. I'm going to try, but i won't count on it.
musiquedelanuit's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Aviana | Gender: Ange de Musique | Posts: 98 | Roses: 10
Old 06-09-2010 at 04:14 PM
Soprano Rose
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [19]

I have a question. How difficult is the dancing portion of the show? Also, is dance training a requirement? I know that a lot of Christine's don't dance on pointe and they just dance on the background. What would you suggest I do?
Soprano Rose's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Paula | Gender: Female | Posts: 147 | Roses: 10
Old 06-09-2010 at 05:21 PM
MllePaula
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [20]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soprano Rose View Post
I have a question. How difficult is the dancing portion of the show? Also, is dance training a requirement? I know that a lot of Christine's don't dance on pointe and they just dance on the background. What would you suggest I do?
Dance training is required, at least the basics...enough to dance well in both "Hannibal" and "Masquerade." As you mentioned, some Christine do not dance on pointe, but some do.

I would include pointe along with basic dance because, especially in musical theatre, the more skills you have on your resume, the better. A small detail like that could be the deciding factor if two otherwise equally talented actresses are being considered for a role...not just Christine, but any good role.

MllePaula's Profile Send Private Message MllePaula's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote