The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom Don Juan Triumphant Reflecting Mirrors
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 03-29-2008 at 11:30 PM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Emmy vs. Christine  Post [1]

So Emmy Rossum as we all know played Christine. And she also recorded her own original CD. I just want to know which on you like her doing and why.

As for me, I think she is a fabulous actress, nad she has a sweet voice, but isn't cut out for operattic roles despite the fact she used to sing at the Met. I like her singing her orignial ambien pop stuff better.

What about y'all?

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Summer | Gender: Female | Posts: 557 | Roses: 7
Old 03-29-2008 at 11:53 PM
maskedsinger
Wandering Child
Northen Downpour sends its love

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2]

I personally think that Emmy Rossum was the wrong choice for Christine. I don't think she has much talent at all except for acting. If she would like to pursue a career on stage it would be better off as an acting role. Just my opinion.

Scott v.2 Scott v. 1

Chace v. 2 Chace v. 1 Scott v. 3
Jasmine rocks!! Thanks girl! As Well as Chrissy!
maskedsinger's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Christine | Gender: Girl | Posts: 187 | Roses: 10
Old 03-29-2008 at 11:53 PM
ChristineJ16
Wandering Child
The golden pale angel

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerading rose View Post
So Emmy Rossum as we all know played Christine. And she also recorded her own original CD. I just want to know which on you like her doing and why.

As for me, I think she is a fabulous actress, nad she has a sweet voice, but isn't cut out for operattic roles despite the fact she used to sing at the Met. I like her singing her orignial ambien pop stuff better.

What about y'all?
Yup, I agree. She's a very pretty girl, but the role of Christine really was not for her, vocally speaking that is. The role of Christine is more than just a pretty face, it helps to be classically trained. The children's opera chorus at the Met was not enough.

There's a song she sings with Dolly Parton, "Love is Pretty When is Love is New". It's such a cute, sweet song. That type of singing is perfect for Emmy.

~Christine~
ChristineJ16's Profile Send Private Message ChristineJ16's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 03-31-2008 at 12:28 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4]

While I agree that the filmmakers should have gone with someone more experienced to play Christine in the film, I did love Emmy's portrayal for what it was. True, her acting could have been a lot better, but I think that's mostly Joel Schumacher's fault -- I've seen her deliver some truly fantastic performances in her other films.

I haven't heard all of her CD "Inside Out" yet, but I really liked what I heard so far, and I agree that those sorts of songs are more suited to her voice for now. I also bought her 3-track "Christmas Album" from iTunes, and loved it. And aye, I heard that duet with Dolly Parton once... It was really cute, I thought. ^_^

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Marissa | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 36 | Roses: 10
Old 03-31-2008 at 02:24 AM
marissamayhem
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5]

I downloaded most of her CD and I really love it. The songs are catchy and the album has an "Imogen Heap" feel to it, which I really like.

I agree with you guys though. She wasn't the best fit for this role. She has a lovely voice but it's not suited to this type of singing.

This thing of darkness I acknowledge mine.
marissamayhem's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 04-04-2008 at 03:00 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6]

I agree. I believe she has a lovely pop voice, she in no way should sing classical or opera or even popera.

I heard her sing in "Song Catcher" (geez, she looked so young!), and she also sings alright counrty or folk music. But I think that she wasn't HORRIBLE as Christine, just not my favorite, or even in my top five, but not my least favorite....

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Jennifer | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 481 | Roses: 10
Old 08-31-2008 at 09:40 PM
angelgirl
Wandering Child
Nobody's Home.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7]

I haven't heard her CD or any of the songs yet, but I would say she did really good as Christine.
A.G.

Thanks to the wonderful Tiannaangel for my sig!
angelgirl's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Amy | Gender: Female | Posts: 29 | Roses: 10
Old 09-28-2008 at 01:44 AM
MlleMusique
Wandering Child
wandering the labyrinth of my heart

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8]

I think Emmy is a terrific actress; I've seen a lot of her movies, and she has a good hold on all of her characters. She tends to be cast as the 'good girl' a lot, so I'd like to see her in something with a bit more guts, but there's certainly talent there in acting.

That said, if the Phantom movie had been made as a play and not a musical, I'd have been quite satisfied with it. But Emmy simply does not have the vocal strength or dexterity to pull off Christine. One need only listen to...any of the ALW stage Christines for that to become obvious. She sang through every song lightly, struggling at times to reach the top notes, and never achieving the depth or warmth that Christine's voice is required to have--Christine's is supposed to be a glorious, angelic voice. I'm afraid Emmy's is destined only to join the ranks of the pop chart artists and nothing more. And as for singing at the Met, she did so as a young girl, and in a choir. It wasn't opera.

I would love to see Emmy pursue a solid acting career, and I think she would do splendidly. But I really think she should give up the singing.
MlleMusique's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Meg | Gender: Female | Age: 26 | Posts: 22 | Roses: 10
Old 01-25-2009 at 11:05 AM
BrokenVow
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9]

I personally really love Emmy Rossum. And even thought she may not have been totally cut out for the musical of The Phantom of the Opera, I think she could be an amazing Christine for a 'normal' movie. I'm not sure about anyone else, but in the original novel I got the idea that Christine was not the perfect singer, at time she sung with nerves and didnt put her all into it at times. I think Emmy Rossum could deliver this to a 'normal' movie because she can sing with so much expression even if she cant reach the highest note. Also as a point, she was only 16/17 in that movie. So I think it really was an amazing effort for someone of her age. She's still one of my favorite Christine's if not my favorite.

I love most of her performances in other movies (The Day After Tomorrow and Poseidon) and think she is just a wonderful actress.

I also love her album Inside Out. It's so emotional and yeah...some other word that I cant think of right now xD
BrokenVow's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 04-23-2009 at 04:00 AM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10]

Emmy should definitly stick to being a "popsical". I did not care for her "operatic" voice but I think when she sings something that's more like herself, her voice does have a pleasing quality.
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote