The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom Don Juan Triumphant Reflecting Mirrors
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Rowan | Gender: female | Posts: 134 | Roses: 0
Old 06-29-2007 at 03:54 AM
Phantom-ess
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [11]

Personally, I love Michael over Gerry. Don't get me wrong Gerry's good, but his accent was something I couldn't ignore. Every time I hear the CD I get a far off image of the Phantom compared to what it should be. Michael's voice was perfect but then again he is the original and it is tough to beat. There's some sort of quality that I can't put my finger on that makes Michael's voice different. Maybe it's because his voice has a quality that makes it sound like an Angel of Music is really singing. *shrugs* There's my two cents.

Tough luck, Gerry, one more vote for Michael :)

But I prefer Gary Mauer personally.

Phantom-ess's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Fiezo | Gender: Female | Posts: 52 | Roses: 5
Old 07-16-2007 at 11:35 PM
Skoteinos Metamfiezomai
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [12]

Michael is much better than Gerard Butler, in my honest opinion.

I loved Gerard Butler's passion... especially in DoM. However, in DoM, he hit a whole bunch of flat notes, and his voice cracked. I mean, I can understand the cracking, and it made the scene more real, but the flat notes were inexcusable (sp?). His looks, despite the fact that they brought alot more fans to the genre, just didn't fit those of the Phantom. I'm not saying he's a bad actor- he's just not a good Phantom, and a singer he most certainly is not. The Scottish brogue really ticked me off, too...

I loved Michael Crawford's ethereal voice- it definitely fit the part... but at times it wasn't expressive enough.

On the topic of Sarah Brightman: She's a great singer, but I agree that her voice is too mature for Christine. Emmy Rossum's voice is the best 'Christine' voice I've heard, despite the fact that Sarah Brightman's voice is better in general.
Skoteinos Metamfiezomai's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 07-21-2007 at 11:05 PM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [13]

Gerry isn't a bad singer, just not the perfect "phnatom", but he did nail the acting part.

Personally, I didn't like Michael Crawfords much either. He had a better voice than Gerry, since it was trained, but to me, he didn't sound much like the best Phantom either. Sorry, pleasr don't kill me. *ducks rotten tomates and weapons*

My personal favorite was John Cudia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_SwRf0Pr0

But, Fiezo, don't kill me just yet... I agree about Emmy having a wonderful, pristine voice that was great for the role, but Sarah Brightman having a better voice in general.

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Fiezo | Gender: Female | Posts: 52 | Roses: 5
Old 07-21-2007 at 11:37 PM
Skoteinos Metamfiezomai
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [14]

My main reasoning behind Gerard Butler not being a very good singer lies with the fact that they had to do a whole bunch of key and octave changes, because he couldn't sing alot of the written notes. With singing lessons, Gerard Butler probably could have played the role alot better.

WOW. I haven't heard much of John Cudia before... (I've been having issues with Youtube lately...) his hands are distracting! I do like his voice- nice and expressive... although Jennife Hope Willis (or was it 'Wills'?) made me cringe a bit... it's rather harsh for being Christine's. John Cudia is good. I haven't really heard enough of him to pick between him and the other Phantoms I've heard, though.
Skoteinos Metamfiezomai's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: (Ch)Rissy/Riss | Gender: Goddess | Posts: 4,070 | Roses: 100
Old 07-22-2007 at 12:08 AM
masquerading rose
Wandering Child
House Patron
Crayon Queen

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [15]

YAY! I'm not the only one who like John Cudia!! Jennifer Hope has a nice voice, but a little bit undertrained, I must admit.

I think that Gerard Butler would have had a better voice, if Joel wouldn't have cast him early. Joel didn't ask about his singing, only the anting, so if Joel would have notified him properly, Gerry would have had more time toget voice lessons and train for at least a year instead a few months.

If I can't hear the music, and the audience is gone,

I'll dance here on my own.

Banners by Rose, my sister, and me.
masquerading rose's Profile Send Private Message masquerading rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Linds | Gender: Female | Age: 33 | Posts: 30 | Roses: 10
Old 07-22-2007 at 10:01 PM
PhantomonaBudget
Wandering Child
Opera Ghost

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [16]

I think it's unfair to judge Crawford's performance by the OLC. That was cut early into the project, so one has to keep in mind that he had years in the role afterward where he truly developed into the character. That being said, he's not my favorite Phantom. I don't even think he's in my top 10. He's a phenomenally dedicated and talented actor who truly made this role, but vocally he isn't the most enjoyable for me to listen to, and it's not because he isn't talented. The timbre of his voice doesn't quite suit what my interpretation of the Phantom would be.

Then there's Gerry. I can give him credit for a fine acting job, but I cannot enjoy his vocal performance in this role at all. I think he was very unfairly cast as the Phantom. Personally, I believe Erik should literally have a "perfect" voice, something that will transfix people upon hearing it. It should be impeccably well trained and developed, not "raw" and edgy as ALW often described in interviews. Sure, Gerry's voice had that "raw," rock & roll quality to it, but that (in my opinion) isn't the Phantom! I lost all faith in Andrew Lloyd Webber right there. And I still hate Joel Schumacher with a seething passion. No, I don't hate Gerry - just his singing in the role. I think he's a fabulous actor, and would be interested to hear him in some rock songs, but again - he is probably the furthest thing from the Phantom as I can possibly imagine.

I have such a high standard for the Phantom's voice that it's hard for me to have a favorite actor, vocally. I tend to base it more on overall interpretation and vocal performance on any given evening. My favorites are (in no particular order): Hugh Panaro, John Cudia, Ian Jon Bourg, JOJ, Tim Martin Gleason, Stephen Tewksbury, Stephen Buntrock, Ted Keegan, Gary Mauer, Davis Gaines, and a select handful of others.

~Lindsey

PhantomonaBudget's Profile Send Private Message PhantomonaBudget's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Loz | Gender: Octopus | Posts: 113 | Roses: 2
Old 08-28-2007 at 03:29 PM
Angelus
Wandering Child
Medical Magician-ess

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [17]

I don't personally hate Gerard Butler, but I have yet to see the reasoning behind the casting. Yes, JS wanted the Phantom to have a little sexual attraction, but casting such a - yes, I'll say it - sexy actor for a role that is supremely unsexy just gives off the wrong idea of the character and it doesn't do anything for me.

I'm sure a lot of movie phans got a big shock after reading Leroux's original novel. The skeleton's frame, scent of death and corpse's face makes quite a contrast to Joel Schumacher's muscled and dashingly handsome Phantom-with-a-sunburn, don't you think?

However, Gerry isn't a bad actor at all. His emotions are very 'rough and raw' and also very clear and defined.

Michael's voice is just beautiful. Soft and ethereal in MOTN, and then soooo passionate in PONR and DOM. Although he isn't my favourite Phantom (Hugh Panaro fills that role) he is definetely in my top five.

[Winter] Lies [Before] Me, Now [You're] So [Far] Away

[In] The [Darkness] Of [My] Dreaming, The [Light] Of You Will [Stay]
Sig Made By The Loverly MissDay7000!
Angelus's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Summer | Gender: Female | Posts: 557 | Roses: 7
Old 10-04-2007 at 06:48 PM
maskedsinger
Wandering Child
Northen Downpour sends its love

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [18]

I think in terms of voice, Micheal Crawford has the better one. In terms of sexiness..ab.GERARD wins all the way. I mean when you think about it the Phantom seems like this sexy character who falls passionatly in love with a girl who thinks he is the ghost of her father...okay a bit akward...but I still love it.

But I think Gerard totally melts the TV with the hottness of himself. I mean a HUGE smile spreads across my face when he comes into sight. Ahhh happy thought.

Micheal Crawford on the other hand....wow what a voice!!!! I have never seen im perform but i would really really want to. I have the original soundtrack with him on it and I am in love with his Music of the Night and Phantom of the Opera. I want to listen to it now but I am in school, so sadly I cannot.
maskedsinger's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Tanya | Gender: I'm an it. | Posts: 68 | Roses: 10
Old 10-07-2007 at 07:10 PM
Taka
Wandering Child
Pinnapple

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [19]

I have yet to understand what people find so "passionate" about Gerald Butler. The accent is very off putting, and I just found his performance to be very hammy.

Although I did like him in "Point of No Return". That was a nice "Point of No Return", probably the best I've ever heard.

Michael Crawford is a better Phantom. He has this voice that just sounds so. . .phantomish. Nummy. I just wish I could've seen him perform.

And to all you John Cuida fans out there: I saw him too! I loved him! He was my very first phantom. Ah, memories. . .

Carlotta fan, Erik stalker. Heh.
Taka's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Rose/Michele | Gender: A Woe to Man | Posts: 1,716 | Roses: 220
Old 10-10-2007 at 08:39 AM
A_Single_Rose
Wandering Child
Das ist ein Bingo!

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [20]

Gerard Butler is not a singer; he is an actor. He is a much better actor than he is a singer. Though he is pretty good for a "non-singer", I shall give him that. Butler was the appeal and "smexyness" that recruited hundreds of squealing Phan Girls/ Gerard Lovers. He wasn't bad. I won't entirely bash him for his performance.
Michael Crawford was without a doubt a far better Phantom than Butler. If given the chance to play Phantom on stage, Gerard wouldn't cut it. Not only because of his voice but because of his understanding of the role. He wouldn't have understood Erik and portrayed him as well as Crawford. Crawford's voice is very unique and it took me a while to warm up to his voice as the first Phantom I ever saw and heard was Butler. You can see the difference he made as he progressed in the role. He kind of lowered his voice and practically was Erik when he finished the role. His acting is marvelous. Especially the way he moves his hands and displays that heart wrenching emotion throughout the show. Those hands... mmm...

Anyway, Crawford was by far a much better Erik than Butler. No contest. Just that.

[signature under construction]
A_Single_Rose's Profile Send Private Message A_Single_Rose's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote