The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » The Lair of the Phantom » Don Juan Triumphant » Reflecting Mirrors
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 05-01-2005 at 01:07 AM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [11] »

I am completely in love with Emmy. Her acting was great, she has an awesome voice, and looks absolutely stunning. I also like Sarah Brightman's voice. I think my favorite stage Christines (voice-wise; I've never seen the show) are Celia Graham and Reiko Nomura (1988 Japanese cast).

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Zelda/Yvette/Padme | Gender: female | Age: 28 | Posts: 2,274 | Roses: 10
Old 05-18-2005 at 02:57 AM
Christine Daaé
Wandering Child
House Patron
Angel of Music

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [12] »

Don't stone me, guys, but I couldn't stand Emmy. I don't like her inflections, and to me, anyway, her voice is passionless, at least up until "Point of No Return". She does a great job, singing- and acting-wise, from that point on, but up until then, she's just unbearable. Please don't stone me, please don't stone me!

Sarah Brightman I adore. See, the thing is, I've always thought Christine had to have an abnormally mature voice for a girl her age. Emmy just doesn't have that. I know Sarah was 29 when she portrayed Christine, but I like them older.

~ Zelda de le Fantôme

Christine Daaé's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Manda | Gender: Female | Age: 30 | Posts: 167 | Roses: 10
Old 05-22-2005 at 02:01 AM
Always_Erik_Fan
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [13] »

*hugs Zelda* Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinions; don't worry about being stoned!

I must say that I really prefer Emmy Rossum to Sarah Brightman (haven't heard any other Christines) because I just like her voice better. Keep in mind, I am NO singer. ~lol~ I just like the innocence in her voice. :) Anyways, that's my opinion!
Always_Erik_Fan's Profile Send Private Message Always_Erik_Fan's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 28 | Posts: 333 | Roses: 10
Old 05-22-2005 at 09:23 AM
cinty
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [14] »

I've had a change of heart since I last posted about Emmy being my favourite. I still love Emmy alot, but I have to say now that Sarah is my favourite. It's come from listening to her soundtrack more and seeing photos of her. I think she is extraordinarily beautiful, (so is Emmy) and her voice is absolutely outstanding. After all, she was who the role was written for. Her high notes in "The P hantom of the Opera" are truly amazing. Emmy does a good job, but you can sort of hear her struggling with them. Sarah soars right up and HITS that note at the end, sooooo beautifully.
I guess, at the end of the day, I would have to say they tie. But if I HAD to chose, I would say Sarah.
and now, Zelda dear, we won't stone you. *hugs, chocolates and nuts to you* :)

Please join:Erik\'s Phans!,Exceptional Beauties and Erik\'s Lair
I am a Raoul/Christine shipper and PROUD of it!!!
cinty's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 31 | Posts: 16 | Roses: 10
Old 05-29-2005 at 11:13 AM
Requiem
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [15] »

Quote:
Originally posted by Zelda de le Fantome
Don't stone me, guys, but I couldn't stand Emmy. I don't like her inflections, and to me, anyway, her voice is passionless, at least up until "Point of No Return". She does a great job, singing- and acting-wise, from that point on, but up until then, she's just unbearable. Please don't stone me, please don't stone me!

Sarah Brightman I adore. See, the thing is, I've always thought Christine had to have an abnormally mature voice for a girl her age. Emmy just doesn't have that. I know Sarah was 29 when she portrayed Christine, but I like them older.

~ Zelda de le Fantôme
THNAK YOU! Someone else who shares my opinion, I'm SO happy!

I didn't think Emmy was shocking or anything, but I did think she wasn't anything outstanding, and she needed to be outstanding to play Christine. Granted, the role of Christine is a hell demanding one, and Emmy was fine at singing "normally", but when she had to reach the high notes, she was struggling, and you could tell as her voice stretched and got a little thin and screechy (well I thought so anyway). Her voice is fine when she doesn't need to push it too hard, but when she does, it does not sound cool. For example, in "Think of Me", Emmy sounds fine up until the line "once again you long, to take your HEART back and be free", but that note sounds pretty strained and strangled, like she's really trying hard to get up there. Listen to Sarah B - she doesn't even make an effort, her voice just soars there so easily.

Emmy was quite good in "Wishing you were Somehow Here Again", because it's a less Operatic song. I can appreciate that Emmy does not have an Operatic voice, so of course she won't hit those notes like an Opera Singer, but I think, if she's to play Christine, who is considered oustandingly gifted, especially for her age, then she should be better. Sorry, please don't flame me, it's my opinion.
Requiem's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: | Gender: | Age: 28 | Posts: 58 | Roses: 10
Old 05-29-2005 at 06:16 PM
sing_for_me
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [16] »

I'm not sure I've heard enough Christines to say that I have a favorite, but I quite like Anna Maria Kaufman, the original Hamburg Christine. She has very strong, clear voice. She does have a mature voice, but I feel she has a bit of that edge of innocence some of us are looking for.

Plus, she can hit the high notes. Hit them well. That's always a plus. ;)

As to Emmy, I liked her at first, but after listening to her on a regular basis (soundtrack) I've really grown to dislike her. I really can't stand her voice until about what would be the 2nd Act. I detest her Think of Me. She cannot hit the high notes, in that song at least. (I do like her PONR, which goes, eh, pretty high. ;) )

Signature made by the wonderful phantomphreak, in all her brilliance.
sing_for_me's Profile Send Private Message sing_for_me's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2005 at 09:03 AM
cinty
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [17] »

Emmy does struggle with the high notes alot, especially in Think of Me. Sarah does just soar and hit those notes, beautifully. Plus they had to cut out the 4th verse of the theme song because that is in a higher key and Emmy couldn't take the singing at the end so high. That is why I now prefer Sarah.
But I still love my dear little Emmy. :)

Name: | Gender: | Posts: 40 | Roses: 10
Old 08-13-2005 at 07:01 AM
operafreak84
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [18] »

My favorite Christines...well, this will be fun:D

1. Rebecca Caine - a gorgeous, clear, pure soprano that is exactly how I think Christine should sound. Her cadenza is the best I've ever heard and unlike several Christines, instead of scooping and sliding into the notes, she actually HITS them. And she's one of the few people I've heard on a cast recording who sings like they're onstage.

2. Sarah Lawrence - probably the most ELEGANT Christine I've ever heard. She's very mature and proper sounding and it's wonderful. Like Rebecca, she has a very clear voice, like a bell, and she's WONDERFUL at expressing emotion.

3. Celia Graham - my favorite youthful-sounding Christine. Celia has a very light, innocent-sounding voice, quite childish at times, but incredibly lovely. Her vocal chemistry with JOJ is great and she has one of the most unique "Twisted Every Way" I've ever heard.

I would post more, but I think this is long enough as it is. I'll probably talk about more of my favorite Christines in a later post.

It\'s a cast recording, not a soundtrack.;)
operafreak84's Profile Send Private Message operafreak84's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2005 at 03:20 PM
cinty
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [19] »

I loved reading your list operafreak. I have never heard of Sarah Lawrence. Could you show me a picture of her sometime? I love hearing/seeing new great Christine's.
And now I have to say that Rebecca Caine has become my favourite Christine. She just awes me, with- well, operafreak has basically described the reasons I love her! :)

Name: | Gender: | Age: 27 | Posts: 631 | Roses: 10
Old 08-27-2005 at 02:25 AM
The_Persian
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [20] »

I love Emmy Rossum. She is young, innocent, beautiful, and naiive... all the things that Christine is supposed to be! The only thing is, I wish that she didn't have this open mouthed look of wounder on CONSTANTLY! has anyone else noticed that? Her mouth is always open!

Anyway, I think SB's voice is excellent, but not quite innocent enough for christine.

I also love the woman who sing the french version on POTO 2004! If you hav'nt listened to it yet, you defenitly should! She's really good too!

Made by the marvolous \'Mae\'
The_Persian's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote