The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera The Lair of the Phantom Don Juan Triumphant Reflecting Mirrors
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: darcimkire | Gender: Angel of Music | Posts: 64 | Roses: 10
Old 10-01-2008 at 09:55 AM
darcimkire
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [21]

PHANTOM
1. ALW version (with Michael Crawford)
2. 1925 film and Leroux's

CHRISTINE
1. Sarah Brightman (musical)
2. Dale Kristien (musical)

RAOUL
1. Steve Barton
2. Patrick Wilson
darcimkire's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Lia | Gender: Female | Age: 24 | Posts: 703 | Roses: 74
Old 10-01-2008 at 12:26 PM
tiannangel
Wandering Child
S.S. Defense Squad

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [22]

Okay, in list of preference:

Erik:
1. Susan Kay's Erik
2. Anthony Warlow
3. Michael Crawford
4. Gaston Leroux's Erik
5. Lon Chaney, 1925
6. Robert Englund, 1989
7. Gerry Butler, 2004

Christine:
1. ALW Stage Christine (All of them)
2. Gaston Leroux's Christine
3. Mary Philbim, 1925
4. Emmy Rossum, 2004
5. Susan Kay's Christine

RAOUL:
1. ALW Stage Version (All)
2. Susan Kay's Raoul
3. Patrick Wilson
4. Gaston Leroux's Raoul

Our love is like a Rose...Beautiful while in bloom, but it can not last forever.

~Shameless Self Advertising~

~Banners by the wonderful Kearyn, Rose and me. XD~
tiannangel's Profile Send Private Message tiannangel's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 07-12-2009 at 07:13 PM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [23]

Now, I'm started to actually wonder if it was Gerry's actual idea to portray Erik in such a way, or was it directed that way. His acting was very nice and I actually starting to wonder why some people think him so terribly.

Kay's Erik is probably my favorite book version. I see a ALW twist along with Gaston.
I like Kay's and Gaston's Raoul, but it's just not the same as Barton. He was just the best for me.

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Anne | Gender: Female | Posts: 60 | Roses: 10
Old 07-19-2009 at 09:58 PM
EriklovesLea
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [24]

Since I have not see many, and one does not even count, it was so stupid (The one with Paul Williams). I have seen several videos with MC, and the 1943 one with Claude Raines, a wonderful actor which I saw many years ago and never forgot. I recently rented it on Netflix. I felt terrible for him. But the all time one who grabbed me and made me a Phantom Phanatic, Phantom author and just love anything Phantom is of course, Gerry's version. For some strange reason, even tho he is no Pavarotti, he just put so much emotion and feeling into everything he did, that he stands out as magnificent to me.
Anne

Mankind looks on the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart. 1Samuel 16:7
The more I know mankind, the more I love my dogs.
Author of "The Phantom's Redemption" available now.
EriklovesLea's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Courtney | Gender: Chick-a-dee | Age: 23 | Posts: 36 | Roses: 10
Old 08-09-2009 at 02:16 AM
Phantom In Training
Wandering Child
Love Never Dies Supporter

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [25]

ERIK:
Lon Chaney
Gerard Butler (I like his voice. Sue me. ...actually, please don't. :) )
Charles Dance
Leroux
Kay
Claude Rains

RAOUL:
Kay
Leroux
and the two Raoul's in the 1943 version

CHRISTINE:
Leroux
Kay
ALW musical (most of them)
Susanna Foster
Phantom In Training's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 08-09-2009 at 03:59 AM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [26]

In order of liked-ness to disliked-ness. How educated I sound! Anyway here is a very long list, I'm sure:

Erik:
Kay-I guess this because he's like Leroux!Erik but he understand him this time. Kay wrote Erik as I always imagined him.
Leroux- The original, nuff said. *purist purist*
Lon Chaney (how can he be #3?)- Portrayed Leroux!Erik better than any other man could. Again, original...
Michael Crawford/ALW stage show- This Erik, although varied by performance, is a lot less gore and more soul if you catch my drift. You could see a man behind the mask. Not to mention, I love his costume.
Cartoon: Portrayed Leroux!Erik well, but he was green...so....
David Staller- Even though he reminds me of Willy Wonka, I liked the sarcastic, witty approach to the character.
Yeston/Kopit/Dance- A little too fluffy for my taste, but this Erik is so sweet, you just gotta love him. Yay picnics!
Robert Enguland- Some say that he's too gorey to be a good Phantom, but when you're a killer, there's no such thing. This Erik kinda creeped me out but he at least had some meat to him.
Max Schell- I would have liked this Phantom more if he hadn't only loved the Christine figure because she looked like his wife. It annoys me some.
Herbert Lom- Don't get me wrong, I think that HL is a pretty good actor, I just never liked the scenario his Phantom was in. I blame the story, not the man.
Claude Rains- I haven't seen the entire 1942 movie, but I found most of his performance pretty dry. Not to my liking, personally.
William Finley- This guy gave me nightmares and not in the good way. What was this guy's deal? Ick...
Gerard Butler- Oh come on, I'm Viktoria! You should know why he's this far down on my list.
Julian Sands- I'm surprised that he's not at the very bottom of my list, but hey at least he was Phantom-esque.
Derek Rydall- This guy, on the other hand, wasn't even a Phantom. He was just some burned punk who wanted to get his girlfriend back. What a shmuck.
Jack Cassidy- With a deformity worse (or should I say better?) than Gerry's and a Robin Hood like mimick, he makes me vomit.

I'll do Christine/Raoul later. I don't have that much free time.
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 08-12-2009 at 04:06 AM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [27]

So I'm highly illterate when it comes to version of Phantom other than the 2004, gaston and kay book (which I barely know), and I know the musical better than anything! MUSIC!

Erik

Michael: CLASSIC! That's it.
Hugh: I love his voice, nothing more. Well I do love his performance, but his voice made me stop and think.
Brent: My first Phantom....so I just have to stay with him forever!
TMG: Tim just brings that essences that I never have seen for Erik other than in my mind that's why I favor him quite a bit. Sooo sweet! Such a great and empowering voice, and so you know ;)
HOWARD! :) *glomp*
Christine:
Emmy: I don't love her voice that crazily, but her acting was innocent and very Christine ish--Ignores her open mouth
Sarah: I love her approach to Daae and she did have a bit during the Notes II scene! Yea Sarah!
Elizabeth: her voice is glorious!
Kristi Holden: I LOVE HER! Because she was my first Chrsitine
Sierra: I don't even have to say anything!
Mary (Lon): She just set the bar in the first scene and then raised it moments later. Her acting is great for me...for a silent movie.

Raoul:
Patrick: He's starting to warm up now...
Tim Matin Gleason: I LOVE HIM!!! Aw! His Raoul is so protective and gentle.
Steve: WOW!

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Chiara | Gender: a young lady | Age: 20 | Posts: 103 | Roses: 10
Old 06-26-2014 at 08:10 PM
Flattering Child
Wandering Child
no emperor received so fair a gift

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [28]

Erik - Leroux, some ALW Phantoms, but only some. To be honest, I am not to fond of Kay's Erik, or her book at all. It's not bad, but I don't get the obsession over it. I don't like her Erik a lot and I nearly dislike her Christine... I love the poor, lovely Erik from the Leroux novel and some ALW Phantoms, just as I've said.

Christine - Leroux!!! Some ALW Christines, too...

Meg - ALW, to be honest...

Raoul - Umm... hehe... Steve Barton! And I can't stand Leroux Raoul...

The Persian - Well, Leroux, Kay, ALW's Mme Giry... I like all of them...

Mme Giry - Well, ALW's Mme is basicly the Persian... but a great character! The book Mme Giry is cute... I can't decide!

Flattering Child's Profile Send Private Message Flattering Child's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Madeline | Gender: F | Age: 36 | Posts: 31 | Roses: 10
Old 06-27-2014 at 08:13 PM
ErikPhan
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [29]

Erik: Leroux and Lon Chaney (1925).
Christine : Leroux, Mary Philbin ( 1925 ) and Teri Polo from the 1990 miniseries.
Raoul : Leroux, Norman kerry ( 1925 ) and th Harry Hunter character from the Herbert Lom version.
The Persian : Leroux , Arthur Carewe ( 1925 -- yes, he IS the Persian to me ) and Alexander Siddig ( voice in the BBC radio adaptation ).As for Kay... well, at least he's there :)
ErikPhan's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote