Name: April | Gender: female | Age: 34 | Posts: 135 | Roses: 10
Old 12-27-2010 at 02:56 AM
wandering child
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
dream cast for Phantom movie?  Post [1] »

Just as a thought, what would everyone's dream cast be for a kay movie? I only have a few roles in mind

Giovani: Christopher Plummer (has that stern yet kind thing going on in the sound of music)

Christine: Jewel (seems young and innocent, plus can really sing IMO)

Charles (Erik's Father) A younger Michael Douglas

Raoul: Leonardo di Caprio (Don't laugh please. Young looking and handsome)

Not sure for the other roles, especially Erik

In sleep he sang to me
wandering child's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Elphie | Gender: female | Age: 24 | Posts: 210 | Roses: 10
Old 12-27-2010 at 03:20 AM
Lady of Music
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2] »

I can see where you get the ida for him as Giovanni, I have to agree there, and Leonardo as Raoul, would jsut make i easier to dislike the character (don't hate me for it). Hmm I haven't really thought about it, though those sound good so far :)

I'm a Dwarf and I am digging a hole
Diggy diggy diggy
I'm digging a hole
Lady of Music's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010 at 03:38 AM
wandering child
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3] »

LOl. fell in love with him as Jack Dawson So sweet in Titanic. Oh cool. Yeah, I just thought Christopher Plummer would be great in that role.

So who for Erik?

In sleep he sang to me

Name: Elphie | Gender: female | Age: 24 | Posts: 210 | Roses: 10
Old 12-27-2010 at 06:10 AM
Lady of Music
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4] »

All I'm getting is Ramin but I think he is only good for the musical addaptions. I mean he would need to do a lotof hmework, even read a certain bases of the play he is in now, which i wouldn't put on anyone ;) The book I mean, not the play. LND's is fantastic! UNLESS you have seen it, do not knock it!

I'm a Dwarf and I am digging a hole
Diggy diggy diggy
I'm digging a hole
Lady of Music's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: James the Exceedingly Evil | Gender: Phan Dude | Age: 29 | Posts: 1,908 | Roses: 0
Old 12-28-2010 at 05:24 PM
IamErik771
Ballet Director
House Patron
Master of the WPO

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5] »

Interesting question! I agree that Christopher Plummer could be a great Giovanni. (I think he's old enough now, as well.) For the other roles... I think it would be very hard to find a Christine who looks the part and can sing actual opera. A pop singer like Jewel, imo, wouldn't fit (especially since I have no idea if she can act). What may work is if they get an actress who looks the part and just dub her singing... After all, that's what they did for nearly all the other POTO films. Alternatively, get someone who played Christine in the stage musical to do the movie. It'd have to be one who can really handle opera, though, and not one of the lighter "pop-ish" Christines. (Of course, since Kay's novel had Christine looking identical to Erik's mother Madeleine, the same actress would probably have to play both parts.)

Leo as Raoul could work, except that I think he's moved past those kinds of roles in favor of darker characters, like the roles he played in Inception and The Departed. I think I'd prefer them to get some lesser-known 20-something for the role. A friend of mine suggested maybe Orlando Bloom or Jake Gyllenhaal, but I'm not sure.

Erik would be a really tough role to cast, especially in the Kay version. They'd need to find an extremely good child actor to play young Erik, then get someone equally good in his teens or 20s, then the 40-60 year old Erik we all know and love. The good thing is it doesn't matter what the actors look like since they'll all have their faces hidden by masks and makeup (or even computer effects) for the whole thing... but they would need excellent actors for all 3 (or more) stages of his life. I'm really not sure who could pull it off. I don't think we'd need to force them to read Phantom of Manhattan, though... if they did, they might get the wrong idea about what Erik is supposed to be like. Just have them stick to Leroux and Kay, possibly the musical and one or two of the other film versions, and it should be fine.

For Nadir, I'd always imagined Oded Fehr (Ardeth Bay in the Mummy films) playing the role. But hey, maybe there are some other great Middle-Eastern actors I'd never heard of who might be even better.

It's wiser to be mad... in a world that's gone insane!
<b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Profile Send Private Message <b><i>IamErik771</i></b>'s Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Taylor | Gender: Fräulein | Posts: 15 | Roses: 10
Old 12-29-2010 at 08:44 AM
Colonel Landa
Wandering Child
Inglourious Basterd(ess)

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6] »

A while ago, I read an interesting suggestion on phantomoftheopera.com for Doug Jones to portray Erik. He's not super famous, but he was Abe Sapien in Hellboy and he most of his work is under heavy make up and costumes (i.e. The faun in Pan's Labyrinth). So his body language is very expressive, especially his hands. Plus, he's extremely skinny for his height (6'3"). I don't think he sings, but of course, he can be dubbed.

Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, true or false, are often revealing
Thanks, A_Single_Rose, for the awesome banner!
Attendez le crème...
Colonel Landa's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2010 at 05:56 PM
wandering child
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7] »

Just looked up a youtube video of him and have to agree physically he's the right type to play Erik. And he said he's used to playing dark roles and likes roles with deep, complex emotions and stories of redemption. Not a bad speaking voice either. I agree Ramin is an amazing stage actor, but as you said Ladyofmusic, perfect as he is on stage he may not be meant for movies. Some actors are just meant for certain things. Still love Ramin though:)

And I can see Orlando Bloom as Raoul. Maybe it's just me, but now that i think of it he reminds me a bit of Norman Kerry.

What about Timothy Spall as Jules? I know him best as Peter Pettigrew, but I've seen him in other roles as well and he has that whole subserviant thing down.

I got the idea for Jules as Christine a few weeks ago. AT wal mart we had a christmas CD display and hers was one of them and they had them all playing, and I think she could sing different styles than just pop. For some reason she just struck me as looking like Christine should look.

I never thought of that about needing different actors for different times in Erik's life. Very true. Although if need be the same actor playing him at around twenty could play him in his 40s/50s. They'd need a teenager to play him during the later part of his time with the gypsies and with Giovani too though. And I agree about singing voices being dubbed.

Great idea for Nadir! I couldn't think of any middle eastern actors.

In sleep he sang to me

Name: Meg | Gender: female | Posts: 22 | Roses: 10
Old 12-29-2010 at 08:51 PM
Jenna1oo00
Wandering Child
Academy Prima Ballerina

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [8] »

But you guys, what about ppl like the horrible Javert and Meg? Why not use some unknown people? I pass for 16 when I have make-up, costuming on. AND I am rather tall, at normal height I pass for 14. Some unknowns can play the smaller parts that are only mentioned a few times, like Meg or Cecile Jammes.

Forget Team Edward!Forget Team Jacob! Im Team Erik!!!
Jenna1oo00's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Kate O'Keefe | Gender: Female | Age: 27 | Posts: 29 | Roses: 10
Old 04-05-2011 at 11:57 PM
Kitty-Grimm
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [9] »

It's been a while since I've read Susan Kay's version, but I'll give it a shot.

For some reason, whenever I picture Madeleine, I always pictured Natalie Dormer. I don't know what it is, but she'd probably be brilliant nonetheless. She's, first of all, painfully gorgeous and she's a fantastic actress. She's able to be both nasty and sympathetic at the same time and perhaps that's just her role in The Tudors, but that's the kind of skill needed for a role like that.

For Giovani, somehow I can't get Richard Berry out of my head. I don't know if he speaks any other language than French 'cause I've only seen him in French film, but he's a brilliant actor. He's very expressive and he's always really enjoyable to watch. But as far as English-speaking actors are concerned, I think Christopher Plummer would make a good Giovani. I've actually had the pleasure of seeing him on stage before and he's wonderful! Anthony Head would be good too 'cause he's always brilliant or Gary Oldman because let's face it: he's the man!

Doug Jones (good ol' Dougie!) would make a fantastic Erik! I think he's slowly becoming today's generation's answer to Lon Chaney, as we never recognize him on screen and is just so good at handling prosthetics and extreme makeup. He's also a really good actor on top of that and I think he could handle Erik, but for some reason, I'm more looking forward to the day someone casts him as Quasimodo.

Christine, I have no idea. Maybe it'd be best to chose a really good newcomer, but the Leroux fan in me always turns to Clémence Poésy. She's a pretty good actress, beautiful, French and (holy crap!) blonde! But if we're going for Kay's version, I'm not sure. Maybe Perdita Weeks? She's lovely! Another Tudors actress, I know, but I'd like to see more of her in general.

I'm not too fond of DiCaprio as Raoul, for some reason. Don't get me wrong, he's a pretty good actor, but I just don't see him as a character in classic literature after that horrendous rendition of Romeo and Juliet he was in. Maybe my Merlin geekdom is shining through now, but I think Bradley James would make a good Raoul. He's a really good actor and I've seen him with a Raoul-eque 'tache before and he looked so like how he was described in the book. Carey Elwes would have made a great Raoul in the late '80's/early '90's, though!

I think everyone's begging for Oded Fehr as Nadir and I don't blame anyone, to be quite frank.

EDIT: I've just seen Luke Goss in Frankenstein as the creature and he was amazing! Throughout his performance, I couldn't help but think he would make a great Erik! He's an amazing actor and he seems really used to monster makeup, since he was also Prince Nuada in Hellboy. He was really good at playing the dark side to the creature and also being very sympathetic and loving. He could be vulnerable as well as frightening and I think he would make a fantastic Erik!
Kitty-Grimm's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Laurasia | Gender: female | Age: 19 | Posts: 39 | Roses: 10
Old 04-10-2018 at 06:04 AM
VampirePotato
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [10] »

Bringing this back because I was just watching Into the Woods (2014) and Chris Pine in this film just screams "Raoul" to me. More the musical version than the Kay version but still.

Also my dream phantom is definitely Doug Jones. And while we're at it, Guillermo Del Toro should direct the movie lol.

I'm under your spell...

VampirePotato's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote