Name: Phorum Ghost | Gender: female | Age: 50 | Posts: 24 | Roses: 10
Old 08-29-2008 at 05:57 PM
Chilihead
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Face  Post [14]

I'm reluctant to come down on the 1943 film starring Claude Rains. During that era, the general American audience and the troops had just enduring two World Wars sandwiched around a Great Depression. During this era, things were kept more light-hearted. Movies had actors smiling so big, you'd think their faces were about to explode. Also the images of "Rosie the Riveter" were still in people's minds, thus such a strong confident Christine that chooses her career over everything else. I admit, after so many hardships I've had over the past two years, I do like to watch that one more than the others. I digress...

One of my least favorite disfigurements would be the 1989 film starring Robert Englund. While the idea that his scars were inflicted by the devil himself appeals to me, I do not care for the pus and ooze. The 1980's horror films indulged in that sort of graphic gore way too much. Another least favorite is the 1998 film starring Julian Sands. I think Dario Argento was trying to make a point and thus this radical re-telling, but it should not have been titled "PoTO" as I think it could have stood on its own as another one of his gory giallo-style films.

A personal favorite of mine is in the Kopit teleplay, used in the Yeston and Kopit musical and in the 1990 mini-series starring Charles Dance. I get a guilty pleasure out of NOT reducing Erik to a "freak show." People get curious, yes, but even I felt like I learned my lesson when watching that film for the first time. Leaving it to the imagination, or at least respecting the secret Erik has with Christine regarding his visage, appeals to me. If a disfigurement must be shown, I like the illustrations by Greg Hildebrandt the best. There is also, of course, the water color paintings by Andre Castaigne. The half-mask, half-facial deformity in the movie-musical starring David Staller is pretty good, too, considering the low-budget production intended as a fundraiser.

The Phantom's Visage

Touch me not! I am the Red Death stalking abroad!

Erik's Dominion
Chilihead's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote